Topics

Emoji Panel Won't Open

Mike B

Hi All,

Running the latest of Windows 10 & Jaws 2021.  Can anyone tell me why my emoji panel won't open when the appropriate keystrokes are used to open?  It won't
open in my email client, Notepad or Word.  My Region and language setting are English United States as stated from a search I did.  Admittedly I don't use it very often, but the last time I wanted it it was available and that was probably 3 or 4 months ago.  All help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Bill White

Hi, Mike. I experienced the same behavior with the latest JAWS update. It is a little more accessible with Narrator.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 5:27 PM
To: Win10
Subject: [win10] Emoji Panel Won't Open

Hi All,

Running the latest of Windows 10 & Jaws 2021.  Can anyone tell me why my emoji panel won't open when the appropriate keystrokes are used to open?  It won't
open in my email client, Notepad or Word.  My Region and language setting are English United States as stated from a search I did.  Admittedly I don't use it very often, but the last time I wanted it it was available and that was probably 3 or 4 months ago.  All help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Mike B

Hi Bill,

It would be more accessible if it would open.  The emoji panel doesn't open at all.  Narrator, NVDA or Jaws will work if I could get it open.  LOL    Do you know what the app is called that contains the emoji panel?

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2021 5:46 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] Emoji Panel Won't Open

Hi, Mike. I experienced the same behavior with the latest JAWS update. It is a little more accessible with Narrator.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi All,

Hi,

Can you tell us steps you are taking to open the emoji panel so I can double-check with NVDA and JAWS 2021?

Cheers,

Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 5:28 PM
To: Win10 <win10@win10.groups.io>

Hi All,

Hi,

Text Input Host (you can’t really run it from Start menu). Also, try opening emoji panel after logging out and back in.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 6:18 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io

Hi Bill,

It would be more accessible if it would open.  The emoji panel doesn't open at all.  Narrator, NVDA or Jaws will work if I could get it open.  LOL    Do you know what the app is called that contains the emoji panel?

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi All,

Bill White

Hi, Mike. I don't know.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi Bill,

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi All,

Holly

Mike:

After you press the windows key and the period, you need to arrow around to find the imojies.

Mike B

Hi Joseph,

In the Task Manager / Details tab it says that Text input host is running and disabled.  Does this mean it's running or disabled?  Also I don't need to log-in but, I've rebooted the computer a few times and the emoji panel will not open.

Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2021 6:20 PM

Hi,

Text Input Host (you can’t really run it from Start menu). Also, try opening emoji panel after logging out and back in.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Bill,

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi All,

Mike B

Yes, I've done that and I don't find anything.  I've tried tabbing to  see if I could find a different category, but no categories to be found either.

Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2021 6:47 PM

Mike:

After you press the windows key and the period, you need to arrow around to find the imojies.

Hi,

Running and disabled… that’s an interesting combination.

There are two ways to check if “emoji panel” (more specifically, Text Input Host)is indeed running:

• Press Windows+H from an edit field to see if JAWS/Narrator/NVDA announces something about dictation.
  • Press Windows+V from an edit field to see if screen readers report things about clipboard.

I put emoji panel in quotes because the features listed above are hosted inside the same executable as emoji panel. Note that emoji panel has gone through a complete redesign in development builds.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 6:49 PM

Hi Joseph,

In the Task Manager / Details tab it says that Text input host is running and disabled.  Does this mean it's running or disabled?  Also I don't need to log-in but, I've rebooted the computer a few times and the emoji panel will not open.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Bill,

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi All,

Hi,

There is a third way to check, which involves NVDA and a specific add-on running in debug mode. With this combination, NVDA will record what UI Automation says about things that are happening on screen in its log, which I can then use to diagnose what’s up.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 6:56 PM

Hi,

There are two ways to check if “emoji panel” (more specifically, Text Input Host)is indeed running:

• Press Windows+H from an edit field to see if JAWS/Narrator/NVDA announces something about dictation.
  • Press Windows+V from an edit field to see if screen readers report things about clipboard.

I put emoji panel in quotes because the features listed above are hosted inside the same executable as emoji panel. Note that emoji panel has gone through a complete redesign in development builds.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Bill,

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi All,

Mike B

Hi Joseph,

I open Notepad, Wordpad, Word or a new email and I press, Windows key + period.  The only response I get is with NVDA and with NVDA if I press the Windows key + period keystroke NVDA reports, man shrugging, but that's it.  I can't move to a different emoji or category, and this emoji won't paste into the open document.  It acts like the emoji panel open and then closes.  NVDA is the only screen reading program that I get this little bit of response with, Jaws & Narrator reports nothing.

Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2021 6:18 PM

Hi,

Can you tell us steps you are taking to open the emoji panel so I can double-check with NVDA and JAWS 2021?

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi All,

Hi,

Ah, so NVDA does announce things somewhat. Is this with Windows 10 App Essentials add-on installed? If not, I advise installing it first and see if that makes a difference (if it doesn’t, then looks like I will be busy this weekend debugging it).

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 6:59 PM

Hi Joseph,

I open Notepad, Wordpad, Word or a new email and I press, Windows key + period.  The only response I get is with NVDA and with NVDA if I press the Windows key + period keystroke NVDA reports, man shrugging, but that's it.  I can't move to a different emoji or category, and this emoji won't paste into the open document.  It acts like the emoji panel open and then closes.  NVDA is the only screen reading program that I get this little bit of response with, Jaws & Narrator reports nothing.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi All,

Mike B

When I press, Windows key + H, in Word Jaws reports, go to settings and turn on on line speech recognition.

When I press, Windows key + V, Jaws reports your clipboard is empty let's make some history by copying multiple items to it or something similar.

Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2021 6:55 PM

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Bill,

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi All,

Mike B

Yes, the Windows 10 App Essentials add-on is installed, but the man shrugging thing is the only thing NVDA announces.

Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2021 7:01 PM

Hi,

Ah, so NVDA does announce things somewhat. Is this with Windows 10 App Essentials add-on installed? If not, I advise installing it first and see if that makes a difference (if it doesn’t, then looks like I will be busy this weekend debugging it).

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi All,

Hi,

These messages confirm that Text Input host is indeed running.

I think I remember JAWS having issues with emoji panel navigation a while ago – I heard things have improved to a point where you can indeed use emoji panel with JAWS. Speaking of older releases, can someone running Version 1909 (November 2019 Update) try navigating emoji panel with JAWS? If the issue doesn’t occur, looks like a love letter to Vispero might be warranted.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 7:06 PM

When I press, Windows key + H, in Word Jaws reports, go to settings and turn on on line speech recognition.

When I press, Windows key + V, Jaws reports your clipboard is empty let's make some history by copying multiple items to it or something similar.

Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2021 6:55 PM

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Bill,

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi All,

Hi,

I see.

Looks like I need to set a precedent for other screen reader developers: can you do the following for me please:

1. Restart NVDA with debug logging enabled (NVDA+Q, then select “restart with debug logging”).
  2. After NVDA restarts, go to an edit field and press Windows+Period to open emoji panel.
  3. Press the arrow keys to navigate around it. You may or may not hear things.
  4. Press Escape to close emoji panel.
  5. Press NVDA+F1 to open NVDA log viewer.
  6. Copy and paste everything as a private email to me.

I ask for a private log in order to protect privacy (NVDA debug logs contain input and output records). I’ll report my findings to the forum cluster after analyzing the log.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 7:09 PM

Yes, the Windows 10 App Essentials add-on is installed, but the man shrugging thing is the only thing NVDA announces.

Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2021 7:01 PM

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi All,

Hi all,

Update: a Windows Insider reported a similar issue with emoji panel handling in a recent Insider Preview build. Therefore I'm combining these two cases (results announced below):

Based on preliminary log analyses, it appears NVDA might be overriding arrow keys for cursor movement in edit fields instead of letting emoji panel select a different emoji. One possible solution, although very tedious, is pass the arrow keys to the application (press NVDA+F2 followed by an arrow key). Mike B sent me a log while using Word, and a Windows Insider sent me a similar log while composing something in Gmail via Chrome. If Narrator does not exhibit this issue, chances are that this is an NVDA issue; if Narrator also exhibits this problem, it might be time to inform Microsoft and label it as a critical user experience problem so emoji panel engineers can investigate this with priority (when sending feedback, be sure to include exact steps to reproduce).

Cheers,

Joseph

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

The bypass command works, and the issue is not exhibited with Narrator.

Thanks.

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 11:53 AM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Update: a Windows Insider reported a similar issue with emoji panel handling in a recent Insider Preview build. Therefore I'm combining these two cases (results announced below):

Based on preliminary log analyses, it appears NVDA might be overriding arrow keys for cursor movement in edit fields instead of letting emoji panel select a different emoji. One possible solution, although very tedious, is pass the arrow keys to the application (press NVDA+F2 followed by an arrow key). Mike B sent me a log while using Word, and a Windows Insider sent me a similar log while composing something in Gmail via Chrome. If Narrator does not exhibit this issue, chances are that this is an NVDA issue; if Narrator also exhibits this problem, it might be time to inform Microsoft and label it as a critical user experience problem so emoji panel engineers can investigate this with priority (when sending feedback, be sure to include exact steps to reproduce).

Cheers,

Joseph

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Hi,

This confirms it is specific to NVDA (looks like a notice to NVDA users list should be sent). I’ll dig into it this weekend.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nimer Jaber
Sent: Thursday, April 8, 2021 12:16 PM

Hello,

The bypass command works, and the issue is not exhibited with Narrator.

Thanks.

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 11:53 AM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joseph

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly.

Thank you, and have a great day!