Topics

elementary Bluetooth question

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

Hello. My win10 tiny pc doesn’t come with Bluetooth, so I’m planning to buy a USB Bluetooth adapter. With Bluetooth 5, would I be able to connect simultaneously via Bluetooth using such an adapter to a BT keyboard, a BT headset and a braille display?  I haven’t moved away from wires and it’s time to consider it.

Nimer Jaber

Hello Dean,

First, your adapter would have to support multi-pairing. If the Bluetooth adapter supports this, then you could possibly have multiple devices paired. What is more likely is that you may have to choose which device is connected when. Any device you previously connected should be remembered by your computer, so simply turning on that device with Bluetooth in range should connect that device, up to the connection limits of your adapter. Bluetooth can be a bit fiddly though, sometimes you may have to turn off, and then turn on Bluetooth, sometimes you will have to turn on and off the device in question, and rarely, you may have to re-pair the device. This is all from my experiences in dealing with Bluetooth.

Thanks.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

My experience with Bluetooth directly mirrors Nimer's.  I do not have any experience with Bluetooth transceivers that allow multiple devices to be paired and operational simultaneously.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

pete gurney

hi dean,

i have quite a few multi connection bluetooth devices, and as far as i am aware at the moment i don't think it is possible to be connected to more than 2 at a time.
 from memory things like some of my Bowes and sony devices can remember 7 and 10 devices but will still only connect to the first 2 they find when turned on, and if you try to get them to connect to a 3rd device they will connect but lose the connection to the first one they connected to.
if you want to be able to connect to multi devices at the same time you need to look out for the new bluetooth version devices which should be out soon known as bluetooth BL, this is different to bluetooth BLE.
why they couldn't make the name completely different to stop confusion i don't know, but with the new bluetooth BL you will be able to have multiple connections at the same time,  and things like headsets and hearing aids with bluetooth BL they will be able to make and drop connections on the fly.
so for example if wearing one of these devices and you walk into a train station or airport your device would automatically connect to the public announcement system so you could clearly hear which platform or gate your train or plane is departing from.
you would still also be able to continue listening to other things like phone calls or music at the same time, and when you move out of range the bluetooth connection for that public announcement system would be automatically forgotten.
we're waiting for these new bluetooth BL devices to come out as the hearing aids would be perfect for my wife.
this new bluetooth BL was being demonstrated at the big technology exhibitions at the beginning of the year and several of the major manufacturers said they would have devices out in time for christmas.
hope this helps.

pete.

And I highly recommend to stay away from Bluetooth keyboards for a PC especially if you are a fast typist, there is always a tiny lag which can be quite annoying. If you want a wireless keyboard get a Logitech MK540 or something like that, it's a keyboard/mouse combo and if you really want a very responsive one consider the G613 Lightspeed mechanical wireless gaming keyboard. That one actually can be used in Bluetooth mode as well as with a USB dongle, but using the USB dongle will give you a more reliable, more responsive connection. The K780 is another Logitech option which supports up to 3 devices and can be used in Bluetooth mode or with a UsB dongle which is supplied with the keyboard.

When it comes to sound I have equally low opinions about Bluetooth speakers or headsets.

Hello. My win10 tiny pc doesn’t come with Bluetooth, so I’m planning to buy a USB Bluetooth adapter. With Bluetooth 5, would I be able to connect simultaneously via Bluetooth using such an adapter to a BT keyboard, a BT headset and a braille display?  I haven’t moved away from wires and it’s time to consider it.

Sarah k Alawami

I also recommend the corsair k760 I think is the number. I'm using now, and bluetooth, usb and wifi do not lag, at all. I'm a fast typist by the way at about 66 wpm. I want to be faster though one day.