Topics

Edge links opening in a new window instead of a tab

Cristóbal

Hello list,

So, I don’t know what key combination I must have pressed while going full keyboard ninja, but now, whenever I click on a link in Microsoft Edge, that tab instead of opening in a new tab as it always had instead opens in a new window entirely. It seems the open tabs carry over since I can still cycle through the different tabs with the control+page up and page down command, but again, each tab is in its own window which you can imagine gets pretty cluttered and annoying real fast

I poked around online a bit and only really have come across artiles about troubleshooting which ranges from clearing the cache, resetting to default and so on. I can’t seem to find the tab/window setting in Edge either.

If anyone knows of the keystroke toggle to switch this tab behavior to how it was previously or knows where in Edge settings I can deal with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cristóbal

Mike B

Hi Cristóbal,

Take a gander at the link below to see if it'll help.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

[...]

Brian Lee

Hello Cristóbal,

Check in your Windows multitasking settings.  Use Windows I to open settings, type the first part of “multitasking” into the search box and arrow down to the multitasking settings.  Press enter.  Tab across and you will find a combo box for what the Alt Tab keystroke will do.  You likely want “Open windows only” as your option.  Other options are to open windows and 3 most recently used tabs in Edge, 5 most recently used tabs in Edge and windows and all tabs in Edge.  Use CTRL with down arrow to open the combo box and use up or down arrow to make your selection.

Take care.

Brian Lee

brianllee@...

[...]

Hi,

Important clarification: this option is available in 20H2 and later.

[...]

Thank you for these detailed instructions, but it didn’t seem to fix it.

Again, up until a few days ago when I was too keyboard smashing happy, the behavior was that when I pressed enter on a link in Edge, that webpage would open in a tab in the same window. Now, every link I click on opens in its own separate window, but it maintains the tab structure. I.E. even in separate windows, I can cycle through the open tabs in that window.

[...]

Thanks for the link Mike, but don’t think that’s what I need. It’s not an accessibility issue. Just a simple behavior with tabs instead of opening in the same window, they’re now opening in completely separate windows.