From: Fanus
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 5:00 AM
Subject: [win10] Downloads folder arrangement

Hello list
After installing a Win 10 update on my nettop the downloads folder does not
show the list of folders and files as before but it now says "today
expanded" or "last week expanded" and then it shows the folders and files
for that period. How do I get it back to a single list?
Regards
Fanus

Brad Snyder

Actually, what you want to do, is not select  "None", but turn off "Show in Groups".

- Brad -

On Oct 15, 2020, at 08:29, Mike B <mb69mach1@...> wrote:

Open your Download folder and make sure nothing is selected.  By default nothing should be selected when you open it.

Open your context menu by pressing the application key or Shift + F10.

Navigate to the, Group by submenu, and right arrow or press enter to open.

Arrow to the, None, option and press enter.

After installing a Win 10 update on my nettop the downloads folder does not
show the list of folders and files as before but it now says "today
expanded" or "last week expanded" and then it shows the folders and files
for that period. How do I get it back to a single list?
Regards
Fanus

And I would add that once you know how to get back to the old arrangement, which Mike B has supplied, you be in no rush to do so.

Everyone dislikes change, but a great many people (including myself), who didn't like this arrangement in Downloads but gave it a bit of time to grow on us would never go back.  This is particularly so for people who keep lots and lots of stuff in their Downloads folder, since most who do are interested in their most recent downloads a lot more frequently than the old ones, which you can search for if/when you need them.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Fanus

Hello Mike & Brian

Thanks for the info. I shall experiment and see which method works best for me.

Regards

Fanus

After installing a Win 10 update on my nettop the downloads folder does not
show the list of folders and files as before but it now says "today
expanded" or "last week expanded" and then it shows the folders and files
for that period. How do I get it back to a single list?
Regards
Fanus

Brad Snyder

By turning off show in groups, you will still have the newest download on top, but will not have the grouping arrangement you have described.

- Brad -

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 10:59 AM, Brad Snyder wrote:
By turning off show in groups, you will still have the newest download on top, but will not have the grouping arrangement you have described.
-
Which is not "the old style" anyway, which was arranged by file name without regard to date.  You still have to choose name as the sort column if that's what's wanted.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Brad Snyder

Perhaps, but the original post asked about eliminating items being shown in Groups, not sort order.
It helps to actually identify the question that is being asked, and providing the appropriate answer.

- Brad -

On Oct 15, 2020, at 10:15, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 10:59 AM, Brad Snyder wrote:
By turning off show in groups, you will still have the newest download on top, but will not have the grouping arrangement you have described.
-
Which is not "the old style" anyway, which was arranged by file name without regard to date.  You still have to choose name as the sort column if that's what's wanted.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Mike B

Brad,

Where is the, Show in Groups, option found?  This is an option I haven't seen before.  Thanks mooy moocho.

After installing a Win 10 update on my nettop the downloads folder does not
show the list of folders and files as before but it now says "today
expanded" or "last week expanded" and then it shows the folders and files
for that period. How do I get it back to a single list?
Regards
Fanus

Hi,

With no items selected, open context menu, then go to “Group by”.

The change in question came with Version 1903 (May 2019 Update). As for the actual question, unless I’m misinterpreting it, it is really two questions in one, which complicates matters:

  • Remove group by

Or

  • Sort in a specific way

If it is the first question, Brian and Mike’s answers will do. If it is the second, Brad’s answer is correct.

Where is the, Show in Groups, option found?  This is an option I haven't seen before.  Thanks mooy moocho.

After installing a Win 10 update on my nettop the downloads folder does not
show the list of folders and files as before but it now says "today
expanded" or "last week expanded" and then it shows the folders and files
for that period. How do I get it back to a single list?
Regards
Fanus

Brad Snyder

Hi Mike,

Should be at the bottom of the same context menu you described in your post.
Also can be found in the File Explorer window ribbon, in the View tab, Group By button.  Or press ALT, V, G, to toggle on/off.

HTH.

- Brad -

On Oct 15, 2020, at 12:27, Mike B <mb69mach1@...> wrote:

Brad,

Where is the, Show in Groups, option found?  This is an option I haven't seen before.  Thanks mooy moocho.

After installing a Win 10 update on my nettop the downloads folder does not
show the list of folders and files as before but it now says "today
expanded" or "last week expanded" and then it shows the folders and files
for that period. How do I get it back to a single list?
Regards
Fanus

Mike B

Hi Brad,

I don't find that option in the context menu or in the Group by submenu.  I am running the latest version of 2004 as well.  Oh well, I don't think I'll miss it!  LOL

After installing a Win 10 update on my nettop the downloads folder does not
show the list of folders and files as before but it now says "today
expanded" or "last week expanded" and then it shows the folders and files
for that period. How do I get it back to a single list?
Regards
Fanus

Brad Snyder

I’m not finding it on my system either.
I have my Downloads folder sorted by Date Added, with Grouping off.  I set it up this way several versions back, and have not touched it since.
Thought I checked it before responding to you earlier.
I an not able to repeat my setup.

- Brad -

On Oct 15, 2020, at 15:40, Mike B <mb69mach1@...> wrote:

Hi Brad,

I don't find that option in the context menu or in the Group by submenu.  I am running the latest version of 2004 as well.  Oh well, I don't think I'll miss it!  LOL

After installing a Win 10 update on my nettop the downloads folder does not
show the list of folders and files as before but it now says "today
expanded" or "last week expanded" and then it shows the folders and files
for that period. How do I get it back to a single list?
Regards
Fanus

Kevin

Please do a search on the group web site, this topic has been covered countless times!

email is golden!!!

Kevin Lee

After installing a Win 10 update on my nettop the downloads folder does not

show the list of folders and files as before but it now says "today

expanded" or "last week expanded" and then it shows the folders and files

for that period. How do I get it back to a single list?

Regards

Fanus

Maria S

Thanks Mike for saving my sanity. I really hated the default arrangement.

Maria