From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of George Zaynoun
Sent: Monday, June 7, 2021 3:59 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] Downloads Blocked

I am using Microsoft Edge when downloading files, sometimes when downloading certain executable files Windows blocks them from being downloaded. My question is what shal I do so that I can download any .exe?

Today for example there was an update to Selenzio and Windows blocked it, I am using Windows10 and Microsoft Edge, please help.

--
Georges Zeinoun
Timmerv. 6A ITR LGH1102, 54163 SKÖVDE SWEDEN

Bill White

Hi, George. One thing I do which helps with blocked downloads is the
following,

1. Open Settings with Windows Key plus I.
2. Open Update and Security.
3. Press ENTER on the Open Windows Security Button.
4. In the Categories that display in Windows Security, press ENTER on App
and Browser Control.
5. Turn off all settings under Reputation-based Protection, especially Smart
Screen for Microsoft Edge.

If you have trouble with this procedure, let me know, and I will send you a
private message with my telephone number, and if you live in the United
States or in Canada, I will call you and walk you through this.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

I am using Microsoft Edge when downloading files, sometimes when
downloading certain executable files Windows blocks them from being
downloaded. My question is what shal I do so that I can download any .exe?

Today for example there was an update to Selenzio and Windows blocked
it, I am using Windows10 and Microsoft Edge, please help.

--
Georges Zeinoun
Timmerv. 6A ITR LGH1102, 54163 SKÖVDE SWEDEN
Tel: +46 (500) 48 29 29 Mobile: +46 (70) 366 63 29

George Zaynoun

Thank you so much I did it.
[...]

Adrian Spratt

Bill,

This could also solve my problem. A perfect example of a file that Edge refuses to download to my system is a JAWS update. I end up having to switch over to Chrome.

Query: Can you lay out the downside to making this change?

Thanks.

I am using Microsoft Edge when downloading files, sometimes when downloading certain executable files Windows blocks them from being downloaded. My question is what shal I do so that I can download any .exe?

Today for example there was an update to Selenzio and Windows blocked it, I am using Windows10 and Microsoft Edge, please help.

--
Georges Zeinoun
Timmerv. 6A ITR LGH1102, 54163 SKÖVDE SWEDEN
Tel: +46 (500) 48 29 29 Mobile: +46 (70) 366 63 29

Mike B

Hi Adrian,

I'm not Bill, but the downside to this would be for those that aren't carefull about what they download.  For you, a competent computer abuser, I don't feel there's a downside.  But then again, I can fill you with all kinds of gloom and doom BS!  LOL  LOL

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

I am using Microsoft Edge when downloading files, sometimes when downloading certain executable files Windows blocks them from being downloaded. My question is what shal I do so that I can download any .exe?

Today for example there was an update to Selenzio and Windows blocked it, I am using Windows10 and Microsoft Edge, please help.

--
Georges Zeinoun
Timmerv. 6A ITR LGH1102, 54163 SKÖVDE    SWEDEN
Tel: +46 (500) 48 29 29 Mobile: +46 (70) 366 63 29

Bill White

Hi, Adrian. The down side to turning off these Windows settings in Windows
Security is that, once you do this, you will only have Windows Defender
keeping track of threats and dealing with them, instead of having a
duplicate mechanism dealing with threats within the browser you are using.
Personally, I would rather trust my security habits, and the action of
Windows Defender. I don't want a second monitor and nanny governing what I
can safely download. If I am having routine threats popping up in Windows
Defender, I need to change my habits. In other words, I think these settings
under Reputation-based Protection are more geared toward people who don't
pay attention to where they go on the Internet, and to those who don't pay
attention to which files they are downloading.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

I am using Microsoft Edge when downloading files, sometimes when downloading
certain executable files Windows blocks them from being downloaded. My
question is what shal I do so that I can download any .exe?

Today for example there was an update to Selenzio and Windows blocked it, I
am using Windows10 and Microsoft Edge, please help.

--
Georges Zeinoun
Timmerv. 6A ITR LGH1102, 54163 SKÖVDE SWEDEN
Tel: +46 (500) 48 29 29 Mobile: +46 (70) 366 63 29

Bill White

Hi again, Adrian. The problem I have with Chrome is that, even when the
settings under Reputation-based Protection are turned off, Chrome sometimes
forces you to go to the downloads area and "confirm" that you want to keep
the file. Then Chrome compounds the offence by asking you to confirm again
that you want to keep the file. This, to me, is an overreach when it comes
to protecting the user.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

I am using Microsoft Edge when downloading files, sometimes when downloading
certain executable files Windows blocks them from being downloaded. My
question is what shal I do so that I can download any .exe?

Today for example there was an update to Selenzio and Windows blocked it, I
am using Windows10 and Microsoft Edge, please help.

--
Georges Zeinoun
Timmerv. 6A ITR LGH1102, 54163 SKÖVDE SWEDEN
Tel: +46 (500) 48 29 29 Mobile: +46 (70) 366 63 29

But in my experience this happens so rarely that it's not enough to really worry about it. Anyways, if you are then you can always keep another browser like Brave or Firefox on hand for these situations.

[...]

Thanks again, Bill, for this and your subsequent reply.