Topics

Dell laptop very sluggish after reinstallation of windows 10

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

I had the geek squad reinstall windows 10 on my Dell laptop last weekend because I couldn't boot into windows and they told me it was a software problem. I've spent all week slowly getting things reset, and at times the machine has seemed to run a bit slower loading web pages and opening some programs but it's worse than ever this morning.

The geek squad installed something called Webroot and I found out from another list that if I just run malware bytes pro and windows defender that I don't need that so I uninstalled it and I had no problems with that.

As I said in my subject line this is a Dell laptop and some stuff that I had shut down before is now back since the reinstallation that was active when the machine was new, such as something called I think Dell connect that tells me something about using my phone to do something although I haven't paid much attention to that, does anybody know if that's safe to uninstall and more importantly might that help this morning's sluggishness? Also there's lots of Dell stuff in the list of installed programs, since the machine isn't under warranty anymore can that stuff be safely removed?

I've actually gone into more than I intended to in this e-mail but if someone can give me some ideas of what might be causing my sluggishness I'd appreciate it. Web pages are taking longer to load in google chrome than they did before the reinstall, and I use thunderbird as my e-mail client and that seems to be taking forever to open as well.

Troy

Brian Zolo

Hey there, Troy, Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio feel free to call me BZ, grin! There are things you can do to increase your performance significantly. If you go into settings and go into privacy and down arrow to background apps and then tab to the list of apps, you'll find that lots of apps are turned on and if you turn lots of them off, it definitely will improve your performance. I'll be glad to assist if you need it. Just let me know. BZ!

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2021 10:45 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] Dell laptop very sluggish after reinstallation of windows 10

Hi all,

I had the geek squad reinstall windows 10 on my Dell laptop last weekend because I couldn't boot into windows and they told me it was a software problem. I've spent all week slowly getting things reset, and at times the machine has seemed to run a bit slower loading web pages and opening some programs but it's worse than ever this morning.

The geek squad installed something called Webroot and I found out from another list that if I just run malware bytes pro and windows defender that I don't need that so I uninstalled it and I had no problems with that.

As I said in my subject line this is a Dell laptop and some stuff that I had shut down before is now back since the reinstallation that was active when the machine was new, such as something called I think Dell connect that tells me something about using my phone to do something although I haven't paid much attention to that, does anybody know if that's safe to uninstall and more importantly might that help this morning's sluggishness? Also there's lots of Dell stuff in the list of installed programs, since the machine isn't under warranty anymore can that stuff be safely removed?

I've actually gone into more than I intended to in this e-mail but if someone can give me some ideas of what might be causing my sluggishness I'd appreciate it. Web pages are taking longer to load in google chrome than they did before the reinstall, and I use thunderbird as my e-mail client and that seems to be taking forever to open as well.

Troy

Jason White

It would probably have been better to install Windows 10 directly from Microsoft's installation media, then to add only the drivers and applications that you really need. I have heard from a reliable source that this often leads to a much more reliable system.

On 26/2/21 10:45 am, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

Troy

Troy Burnham

I don't know for sure but I think it was a total reformat and reinstall because I was told they'd back up my drive first since I wasn't able to do it. I have my doubts if they did or not because I lost some stuff that I had stored on my hard drive, but I'm pretty sure they did wipe out windows before reinstalling given that I had to reinstall a bunch of software I use.

Troy

On 2/26/2021 6:09 PM, Jason White via groups.io wrote:
It would probably have been better to install Windows 10 directly from Microsoft's installation media, then to add only the drivers and applications that you really need. I have heard from a reliable source that this often leads to a much more reliable system.

On 26/2/21 10:45 am, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

Troy

Troy Burnham

Thanks BZ, I found where you were talking about and turned off a lot of stuff and now I'll see what happens.

Troy

On 2/26/2021 4:01 PM, Brian Zolo wrote:
Hey there, Troy, Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio feel free to call me BZ, grin! There are things you can do to increase your performance significantly. If you go into settings and go into privacy and down arrow to background apps and then tab to the list of apps, you'll find that lots of apps are turned on and if you turn lots of them off, it definitely will improve your performance. I'll be glad to assist if you need it. Just let me know. BZ!

Hi all,

Troy

Kevin

The geek squad puts a branding on your computer.  Not sure if that slows anything down.  But all that Dell crap can be removed.  I think it’d be better if you did a clean install of windows 10 yourself, it’s easier than you might think and you won’t get any crap you don’t want!

email is golden!!!

Kevin Lee

Sent: Friday, February 26, 2021 7:45 AM

Hi all,

I had the geek squad reinstall windows 10 on my Dell laptop last weekend

because I couldn't boot into windows and they told me it was a software

problem. I've spent all week slowly getting things reset, and at times

the machine has seemed to run a bit slower loading web pages and opening

some programs but it's worse than ever this morning.

The geek squad installed something called Webroot and I found out from

another list that if I just run malware bytes pro and windows defender

that I don't need that so I uninstalled it and I had no problems with that.

As I said in my subject line this is a Dell laptop and some stuff that I

had shut down before is now back since the reinstallation that was

active when the machine was new, such as something called I think Dell

connect that tells me something about using my phone to do something

although I haven't paid much attention to that, does anybody know if

that's safe to uninstall and more importantly might that help this

morning's sluggishness? Also there's lots of Dell stuff in the list of

installed programs, since the machine isn't under warranty anymore can

that stuff be safely removed?

I've actually gone into more than I intended to in this e-mail but if

someone can give me some ideas of what might be causing my sluggishness

I'd appreciate it. Web pages are taking longer to load in google chrome

than they did before the reinstall, and I use thunderbird as my e-mail

client and that seems to be taking forever to open as well.

Troy

Brian Zolo

Awesome,Troy, you can also go into settings and go to apps and then go down to startup and see what items are on in startup. I like to run my machines lean and mean as so many apps are sometimes in the start menu and that just takes more resources when the machine starts. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance. BZ!

Sent: Friday, February 26, 2021 8:24 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] Dell laptop very sluggish after reinstallation of windows 10

Thanks BZ, I found where you were talking about and turned off a lot of stuff and now I'll see what happens.

Troy

On 2/26/2021 4:01 PM, Brian Zolo wrote:

Hi all,

Troy

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) <steven.hicks@...>

Absolutely, as long as you can figure out how to bring up the boot menu or how to boot from the optical or usb media, you are in business, give it a minute or to to start loading the setup and then just launch Narrator, it will talk the installation and you are on your way.

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin
Sent: 27 February 2021 02:32
Subject: Re: [win10] Dell laptop very sluggish after reinstallation of windows 10

The geek squad puts a branding on your computer.  Not sure if that slows anything down.  But all that Dell crap can be removed.  I think it’d be better if you did a clean install of windows 10 yourself, it’s easier than you might think and you won’t get any crap you don’t want!

email is golden!!!

Kevin Lee

Hi all,

Troy

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

Kenny Peyattt jr.

A clean install is nessecarry. I hate geek squad.

Kenny Peyatt jr.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2021 9:24 AM

Absolutely, as long as you can figure out how to bring up the boot menu or how to boot from the optical or usb media, you are in business, give it a minute or to to start loading the setup and then just launch Narrator, it will talk the installation and you are on your way.

email is golden!!!

Kevin Lee

Hi all,

Troy

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

You can do a clean install by yourself.

On 2/28/2021 4:44 PM, Kenny Peyattt jr. wrote:

Kenny Peyatt jr.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io

email is golden!!!

Kevin Lee

Hi all,

Troy

Jason White

I’ve done this successfully using Narrator as described. All of the drivers needed by the machine were automatically installed – it was a Lenovo ThinkPad laptop. I then installed the Lenovo update utility (Lenovo Vantage) Of course, I also installed NVDA and JAWS after the Windows installation had completed.

At that point, I proceeded to install all of the applications I wanted.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Governor staten
Sent: Sunday, 28 February 2021 16:46

Kenny Peyatt jr.

email is golden!!!

Kevin Lee

Hi all,

Troy

Steven Hicks

Absolutely, the Dell Support utility will do all the hard work for you on their web page.

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jason White via groups.io
Sent: 01 March 2021 00:54

I’ve done this successfully using Narrator as described. All of the drivers needed by the machine were automatically installed – it was a Lenovo ThinkPad laptop. I then installed the Lenovo update utility (Lenovo Vantage) Of course, I also installed NVDA and JAWS after the Windows installation had completed.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Governor staten

Kenny Peyatt jr.

email is golden!!!

Kevin Lee

Hi all,

Troy

Jerry Hogan

How old is your Dell computer? My Dell Mini 5070 mini desk top is 1 year old and I extended my Warrantee until 2024 for the Pro Account, Dell was over my home last week to Replace my 16 GD of Ram and I am still having problem, tomorrow the Tech is coming back ove tomorrow to Replace again another 16GD of Ram as well a new hard drive, if my problem preiss they will replace the mother board or replace the computer, my computer is back up with a external 4 TR bite and they will assists me with other installation as well, to call for Support is (800)456-3355.

Jerry Hogan

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Hicks
Sent: Monday, March 1, 2021 3:47 PM

Absolutely, the Dell Support utility will do all the hard work for you on their web page.

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jason White via groups.io

Kenny Peyatt jr.

email is golden!!!

Kevin Lee

Hi all,

Troy

Steven Hicks

HI,

#

My laptop is either two or three years old.

I Bought a high spec at the time and it has payed off really, it is an I7 with 16gb of ram, 256 M.2 boot device and 2tb data drive.

It may well be o.k. for another few years.

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry Hogan
Sent: 01 March 2021 23:30

How old is your Dell computer? My Dell Mini 5070 mini desk top is 1 year old and I extended my Warrantee until 2024 for the Pro Account, Dell was over my home last week to Replace my 16 GD of Ram and I am still having problem, tomorrow the Tech is coming back ove tomorrow to Replace again another 16GD of Ram as well a new hard drive, if my problem preiss they will replace the mother board or replace the computer, my computer is back up with a external 4 TR bite and they will assists me with other installation as well, to call for Support is (800)456-3355.

Jerry Hogan

Kenny Peyatt jr.

email is golden!!!

Kevin Lee

Hi all,

Troy

Kenny Peyattt jr.

And that is why I will not let another dell in my house.

Kenny Peyatt jr.

Sent: Monday, March 1, 2021 4:47 PM

Kenny Peyatt jr.

email is golden!!!

Kevin Lee

Hi all,

Troy

Micallef Michael at FITA

Hi friend,

That machine should serve you at least 5 more years and beyond that.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Hicks via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, 02 March 2021 10:02

CAUTION: This email originated from OUTSIDE the Government Email Infrastructure. DO NOT CLICK LINKS or OPEN attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

HI,

#

I Bought a high spec at the time and it has payed off really, it is an I7 with 16gb of ram, 256 M.2 boot device and 2tb data drive.

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry Hogan

Jerry Hogan

Kenny Peyatt jr.

email is golden!!!

Kevin Lee

Hi all,

Troy

Russell James

Hi Kenny,

Sorry, I didn't understand your response.
Why wouldn't you want a Dell computer in your house?

Russ

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 1:58 AM Micallef Michael at FITA <michael.micallef@...> wrote:

Hi friend,

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Hicks via groups.io

CAUTION: This email originated from OUTSIDE the Government Email Infrastructure. DO NOT CLICK LINKS or OPEN attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

HI,

#

Jerry Hogan

Kenny Peyatt jr.

email is golden!!!

Kevin Lee

Hi all,

Troy

Steven Hicks

Maybe unless there is some sort of failure.

I Have been working from home for almost a year now so it has a lot of use for sure!

It is not a business model either.

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Micallef Michael at FITA
Sent: 03 March 2021 06:57

Hi friend,

HI,

#

Jerry Hogan

Kenny Peyatt jr.

email is golden!!!

Kevin Lee

Hi all,

Troy