Topics

creating a short-cut

Madison Martin

Hi all,
Can someone please tell me how to create a shortcut for a website so that I can
put it on my desktop? I know how to do this for programs, but I've never done it
for a website. Running the latest versions of Edge and Jaws and the latest build
of Windows 10. Thanks Madison

Sarah k Alawami

After you find the website and navigate in edge do the following:

  1. Hit alt f in edge.
  2. Find a more or tools option.
  3. Click create shortcut, and follow the prompts.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 07:07 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

After you find the website and navigate in edge do the following:

  1. Hit alt f in edge.
  2. Find a more or tools option.
  3. Click create shortcut, and follow the prompts.
-
While this set of steps will work under Chrome (at least), I cannot find a Create Shortcut option in Edge under More Tools.

By the way, this topic was multi-posted on this group and the JAWS group, and is under heavy-duty discussion there.  That's why I strongly discourage people from multi-posting/cross-posting.  There are folks here who have no idea that the question has already been answered there.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Allen West

I couldn’t find the Create Shortcut Option under more tools either. Here is a way that will work no matter the browser.

1. While on the website you want the shortcut for, press ALT+D.

2. Copy the URL.

3. navigate to the Desktop.

4. Press CTRL+  to unselect the apps on the desktop.

5. use the Applications key or Shift+F10.

6. Hit W to move to New and open it.

7.  Down arrow to create shortcut and press Enter.

8. Paste your URL with CTRL+V.

9. Tab to the Name edit field and type the name you wish to give your shortcut.

10 Tab to Finish and press Enter.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 07:07 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

After you find the website and navigate in edge do the following:

  1. Hit alt f in edge.
  1. Find a more or tools option.
  1. Click create shortcut, and follow the prompts.

-
While this set of steps will work under Chrome (at least), I cannot find a Create Shortcut option in Edge under More Tools.

By the way, this topic was multi-posted on this group and the JAWS group, and is under heavy-duty discussion there.  That's why I strongly discourage people from multi-posting/cross-posting.  There are folks here who have no idea that the question has already been answered there.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Madison Martin

Hi Alan and all,

I just checked and I didn’t find anything for creating a shortcut either, maybe that was written for earlier versions of Edge…

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 07:07 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

After you find the website and navigate in edge do the following:

  1. Hit alt f in edge.
  1. Find a more or tools option.
  1. Click create shortcut, and follow the prompts.

-
While this set of steps will work under Chrome (at least), I cannot find a Create Shortcut option in Edge under More Tools.

By the way, this topic was multi-posted on this group and the JAWS group, and is under heavy-duty discussion there.  That's why I strongly discourage people from multi-posting/cross-posting.  There are folks here who have no idea that the question has already been answered there.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Mr. West's instructions are exactly the same, but not on a web page, that I offered earlier.  They have worked for decades, and still work now.  I always say that it is better to use a method that works, no matter what your default browser happens to be, than depending on the browser itself.

I like what he offered better as it's broken down into very screen-reader-user-specific steps.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Madison Martin

I know, I hate it when you read instructions and they say “click on this” or find this located in some corner of the screen.

Mr. West's instructions are exactly the same, but not on a web page, that I offered earlier.  They have worked for decades, and still work now.  I always say that it is better to use a method that works, no matter what your default browser happens to be, than depending on the browser itself.

I like what he offered better as it's broken down into very screen-reader-user-specific steps.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Bill White

Hi, Madison, Alan and all. Edge works differently from Chrome. There is a way to put a shortcut on the desktop with Edge, but it actually installs the website as an app. To do this,

1. Open Edge.

2. Press ALT, and arrow up to Settings and more submenu.

3. Arrow down to Apps submenu, and press ENTER.

4. Arrow down to Install this Website as an app.

5. Now there will be a shortcut for the website on the desktop.

6. There will also be an entry in the Start menu, because the computer considers the website to be an app.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I just checked and I didn’t find anything for creating a shortcut either, maybe that was written for earlier versions of Edge…

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 07:07 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

After you find the website and navigate in edge do the following:

  1. Hit alt f in edge.
  1. Find a more or tools option.
  1. Click create shortcut, and follow the prompts.

-
While this set of steps will work under Chrome (at least), I cannot find a Create Shortcut option in Edge under More Tools.

By the way, this topic was multi-posted on this group and the JAWS group, and is under heavy-duty discussion there.  That's why I strongly discourage people from multi-posting/cross-posting.  There are folks here who have no idea that the question has already been answered there.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

chris judge

There is no create shortcut option under the more tools option in edge. This is true of chrome, but not edge.s

Chris Judge

JAWS Certified, 2021