Topics

create a W10 system image

tom x

Hi,

How can I create a W10 64 bit system image backup?

Under the Control Panel there is a W7 system backup but could not locate one for W10. Is the W7 image backup the same as the W10 version?

Thanks

Tom

Kevin

That’s  itmicrosoft is just too lazy to change the name.  a word of note you need sighted help to create one

How can I create a W10 64 bit system image backup?

Under the Control Panel there is a W7 system backup but could not locate one for W10. Is the W7 image backup the same as the W10 version?

Thanks

Tom

No, Microsoft is not "too lazy to change the name."   It's a straight port, and the name was kept to indicate it's age.  That utility has also had its core component deprecated several years back, so don't use it:

Microsoft Announcement of Deprecated Features, including SIB [Backup and Restore (Windows 7)]

Microsoft has recommended using the third-party backup and recovery utility of your choosing.

I wrote the following tutorial a couple of years ago:  Using Macrium Reflect Free with a Screen Reader

The fact of the matter is that unless you want to do some "very geeky" things that most folks don't, the recovery side of things is not accessible.  But, in the end, that matters a lot less than taking the backups.  If you need to recover, and need sighted help to do so, that's still far, far easier than losing everything.

There was also a hugely long conversation (121 messages as of yesterday) about this on the JAWS list that I was part of but dropped out of once it got "too geeky" even for me.  I don't find it useful to discuss things that most people are not willing to do as though they were, and that's where it went.  For anyone who's interested in reviewing what was shared there, and there is lots of information:  Accessible System Backup Image software, (WAS) the latest update to jaws 2020 giving me a fit

tom x

Thanks for the info Kevin and will have a go.

Tom

That’s  itmicrosoft is just too lazy to change the name.  a word of note you need sighted help to create one

How can I create a W10 64 bit system image backup?

Under the Control Panel there is a W7 system backup but could not locate one for W10. Is the W7 image backup the same as the W10 version?

Thanks

Tom

Robert Cole

Hello,
I have been using Drive SnapShot for years.
Its small  portable and screen reader accessible.
I’ve tried other backup programs, but this one is the best thing since sliced bread!
And most of all, No sighted help is needed.
I believe the US price is about $42.
I use Windows Talking PE Disk with NVDA to boot the PC if its unbootable, and run Drive SnapShot to restore the PC.
For more info, go to:

On May 20, 2020, at 11:06 PM, tom x <ballistic719@...> wrote:

Thanks for the info Kevin and will have a go.

Tom

That’s  itmicrosoft is just too lazy to change the name.  a word of note you need sighted help to create one

How can I create a W10 64 bit system image backup?

Under the Control Panel there is a W7 system backup but could not locate one for W10. Is the W7 image backup the same as the W10 version?

Thanks

Tom

Marek Durila

Hi,

It sounds nice.

How did you created win PE with NVDA or Jaws?

Problem of win 10 backup is that i ti is to big backup.