Topics

Cntl F Not Working in Word 2016

Sherry Wells

Hello,

I am current on Win 10, Fusion & using Word 2016.  When I open a Word doc & use cntl F to find text, it works well once.  After that when I hit cntl F I can see the find box flash open then close.  Even in a different Word doc, if the first doc is still open, cntl F will not work.  I should not have to close a doc to do a find in a different doc or close it just to do a different find.  What is going on here?  Any ways to find text other than cntl F?

Thanks,

Sherry Wells

Brad Snyder

In my prior experience, when using the MS Word Find/Find & replace utility, the dialogue box stays open until it is closed, using CTRL + F4.
As far as I can remember, this behavior has been consistent, going back to MS Word 97, and maybe before that.

- Brad -

On Mar 5, 2021, at 09:27, Sherry Wells <sherrywells1157@...> wrote:

Hello,

I am current on Win 10, Fusion & using Word 2016.  When I open a Word doc & use cntl F to find text, it works well once.  After that when I hit cntl F I can see the find box flash open then close.  Even in a different Word doc, if the first doc is still open, cntl F will not work.  I should not have to close a doc to do a find in a different doc or close it just to do a different find.  What is going on here?  Any ways to find text other than cntl F?

Thanks,
Sherry Wells

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

As a JAWS user, I far prefer configuring JAWS Find to do my searches in Word. As configured in Word, Ctrl+F opens a Search Pane. You can close it with Escape, and switch to it with F6. Others prefer searching by hitting Ctrl+H, which brings up the traditional find and replace dialog many of us know and love, and simply using the Find tab of that dialog.

I can elaborate on all this, which I went over in some detail in my book on Windows keyboard use.

[...]

Yes, I should have mentioned that I do close the find box once it announces that the text was found.

Sherry Wells

[...]

Ann Byrne

Try alt+h, f, d.