Topics

changing Email Sound

Dan Kerstetter

I’m using windows 10 Version 1909 and cannot change my email sound.  I’ve selected a different sound in system sounds, but no matter what I do it won’t take.  Is there some hidden step I need to perform to make the change.

Thanks in advance.

Dan K

For an hour of good alternative and classic rock tune in to my show:  A Little Bit of This and a Little Bit of That  Monday at 5:00 eastern and Tuesday and Friday 8:00 eastern on out of sight radio.

http://www.out-of-sight.net/radio

What e-mail client are you using?   Some of them control their own sounds.

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Dan Kerstetter

I’m using Outlook 2016.  Previously the default email sound was in use and I changed it to something else, but now the same procedure for changing sounds doesn’t work.

What e-mail client are you using?   Some of them control their own sounds.

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

It could be permissions on the sound file you're trying to use.

I just switched mine out, and the initial choice worked fine, but then I switched it out again, and even though it shows the WAV file I have chosen, and it will even play it with the Test button in the sound dialog, what's being played is back to the default sound.  It seems that it doesn't like certain files in certain places, even if I can play them with other media players or the Test button.

All of these tweaks were done using Control Panel, Sound, Sounds Tab.

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Mike B

Brian,

Did you set the sound in both, Desktop mail notifications and New mail notifications?  I had to set the same in both to make my new email sound to work.

Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2020 1:05 PM

It could be permissions on the sound file you're trying to use.

I just switched mine out, and the initial choice worked fine, but then I switched it out again, and even though it shows the WAV file I have chosen, and it will even play it with the Test button in the sound dialog, what's being played is back to the default sound.  It seems that it doesn't like certain files in certain places, even if I can play them with other media players or the Test button.

All of these tweaks were done using Control Panel, Sound, Sounds Tab.

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

I was playing strictly with New mail notifications.