Certain keyboards seeming to ignore, or block certain keystroke combinations

Jacob Kruger

This is something have noticed with a couple of different USB keyboards, under a couple of different instances of windows 10 installations, and, while initially thought might have to do with the one laptop's USB sockets, I have just started working with a brand new desktop PC, and, am picking up the same behaviour trying two different USB keyboards with it, so, just wondering if could relate to some or other keyboard or language setting under windows 10 itself.

On that note, I have all windows language options set to English US, and, the keyboard input language is also set to English US, and, the one problem keystroke, for example, is the one used to bring up NVDA synthesizer selection dialogue - NVDA + Ctrl + S - if I use the numpad insert key as NVDA key, along with right ctrl key, plus letter S, in help mode it's just announcing NVDA + ctrl, whereas if I use the left ctrl key, it tells me that all three keys are being taken note of, and, if I use caps lock as NVDA key, along with right ctrl key + S, it also works fine, so, the issue is literally that using right ctrl key with more than one other keystroke could be causing issues?

Anyway, just wondering if this rings bells for anyone else, and, while not the end of the world, do you maybe have suggestions relating to what could look into to correct what's purely a minor irritation since am used to using multiple computers, and would prefer them to all behave more or less the same?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA

Jacob Kruger

Sorry - should also have mentioned that, for example, numpad insert + right ctrl + C does save current NVDA configuration, so, it's literally just that something like the combination including the S key is being ignored -, but anyway...

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA

On 2021-06-11 08:01 AM, Jacob Kruger wrote:
[...]

Timothy

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 02:01 AM, Jacob Kruger wrote:

... the one problem keystroke, for example, is the one used to bring up NVDA synthesizer selection dialogue - NVDA + Ctrl + S - if I use the numpad insert key as NVDA key, along with right ctrl key, plus letter S, in help mode it's just announcing NVDA + ctrl, whereas if I use the left ctrl key, it tells me that all three keys are being taken note of, and, if I use caps lock as NVDA key, along with right ctrl key + S, it also works fine, so, the issue is literally that using right ctrl key with more than one other keystroke could be causing issues?

The phenomena you are referring to is commonly known as key jamming/masking, wherein cheap keyboards minimize the use of diodes to keep manufacturing costs low. The solution? Figure out which combinations work and which do not, press the combination in a different order to find one that works, or get a decent keyboard which makes better use of diodes. In common parlance, the feature to look out for is n-key rollover (NKRO). Think in your case something like 3-key rollover or greater would be best.

Timothy

Dave Grossoehme

Hi:  Is this problem in NVDA only?  What happens if you open another application that uses the right control key with another key as the hotkey?

Dave

On 6/10/2021 11:01 PM, Jacob Kruger wrote:

[...]

Loy

I tried it on two different keyboards here, one is a USB keyboard and the other one is a wireless and they both work as they should.

[...]

Thanks, Timothy, and, will check those out, but, neither of these keyboards is cheap at all, since they're mechanical gamer keyboards.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA

On 2021-06-11 07:46 PM, Timothy via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Dave, good question/thought - will install demo of jaws, and try it out as well, or try it using narrator, with help mode turned on.

stay well

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA