Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 9:28 PM
Subject: [win10] Can't find IExplorer.exe on my system.

I installed it, and I have two Internet Explorer folders—one in Program Files, and the other in Program Files X86., but no Iexplorer.exe, nor any shortcuts on Desktop or Start Menu.

Any suggestions on where to look?

And I have no idea what, "I installed it," could mean.  Internet Explorer still remains a part of Windows 10 that has "come with" since day one.

As noted, it can be found under both: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" and also the Program Files (x86) equivalent as well.

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Dennis Brown

Since it didn’t have a shortcut either on the Desktop or Start Menu, and typing the path you just gave doesn’t launch Iexplore.exe because that file is not in either directory, I posted the question on this forum.

And I have no idea what, "I installed it," could mean.  Internet Explorer still remains a part of Windows 10 that has "come with" since day one.

As noted, it can be found under both: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" and also the Program Files (x86) equivalent as well.

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Dennis Brown

But it isn’t.  The folder is there, and 4 .exe files, but not that one.

It should be under program files/ Internet Explorer file name is iexplore.exe

I installed it, and I have two Internet Explorer folders—one in Program Files, and the other in Program Files X86., but no Iexplorer.exe, nor any shortcuts on Desktop or Start Menu.

Any suggestions on where to look?

Image removed by sender.

Try running Internet Explorer from Run dialog (open Run, type “iexplore” (without quotes) and press Enter). Do this if you are ready to deal with vast implications.

Since it didn’t have a shortcut either on the Desktop or Start Menu, and typing the path you just gave doesn’t launch Iexplore.exe because that file is not in either directory, I posted the question on this forum.

And I have no idea what, "I installed it," could mean.  Internet Explorer still remains a part of Windows 10 that has "come with" since day one.

As noted, it can be found under both: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" and also the Program Files (x86) equivalent as well.

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Image removed by sender.

Dennis Brown

Says it can’t be found.

Try running Internet Explorer from Run dialog (open Run, type “iexplore” (without quotes) and press Enter). Do this if you are ready to deal with vast implications.

Since it didn’t have a shortcut either on the Desktop or Start Menu, and typing the path you just gave doesn’t launch Iexplore.exe because that file is not in either directory, I posted the question on this forum.

And I have no idea what, "I installed it," could mean.  Internet Explorer still remains a part of Windows 10 that has "come with" since day one.

As noted, it can be found under both: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" and also the Program Files (x86) equivalent as well.

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Image removed by sender.

Loy

search for "turn windows features on and off" and see if Internet Explorer is checked in the list that appears.

Hi,

I may have missed it, but can you tell us the Windows 10 release you are using? Also, is there an absolute need to use IE?

Let’s check one more place: go to Settings (Windows+I)/Apps/Default Apps. Select Web browser (press Space), and see if Internet Explorer is listed there. If yes yet Windows says it can’t find Internet Explorer, then see if Internet Explorer is enabled (Control Panel/Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off, see if Internet Explorer is checked). Then you have two options:

  1. If you absolutely need Internet Explorer for any reason, then open Command Prompt (or PowerShell) and run System File Checker (sfc /scannow), then reinstall the feature update you are using from an ISO.
  2. If you don’t need Internet Explorer, you can either reinstall the feature update in a non-destructive way or try using a different web browser.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 10:38 PM, Dennis Brown wrote:
Since it didn’t have a shortcut either on the Desktop or Start Menu, and typing the path you just gave doesn’t launch Iexplore.exe because that file is not in either directory, I posted the question on this forum.
-
You have been a member of this forum since 2017.  This sort of issue has occurred on multiple occasions.  I have posted what follows on multiple occasions.  It covers virtually any malfunction you could have.  Please read and follow.  And please file for future reference.

Britechguy’s Standard Advice Regarding Windows 10 Issues and Their Repair

And in your case, you can start at the SFC step and ignore the entire section on suspecting a Windows Update of the patch or cumulative type.

It's also well-known that Internet Explorer is included in Windows 10, and, more importantly, should NEVER be used unless no other option exists.  That almost never happens.

Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer | Daniel Miessler        (Dec 2019)

The perils of using Internet Explorer as your default browser ...            (March 2019 – straight from the proverbial horse’s mouth)

Microsoft cybersecurity expert: Please, stop using Internet ...  (Feb 2019)

Microsoft security chief: IE is not a browser, so stop using ...     (Feb 2019)

Microsoft wants you to stop using Internet Explorer                    (Feb 2019)

12 reasons not to use Internet Explorer, ever | Computerworld  (June 2011 – Even more valid now)

And if you web search on “Why you should not use Internet Explorer” the list of returned results is long, and virtually unanimous in the expert (and non-expert) opinion that you should not.

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Bill White

Hi, Dennis. What happens if you open your AppsFolder in the following way?

1. Windows key plus R.

2. type,

shell:appsfolder

3. In the list of apps that results, look for Internet Explorer

4. If you find it in the list and press ENTER, does it open?

5. Repeat steps 1 through 3.

6. This time, press either the Applications key, or SHIFT plus F10, and arrow up or down to Open File Location.

7. Now you should be in the folder where IEXPLORE.EXE exists.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I installed it, and I have two Internet Explorer folders—one in Program Files, and the other in Program Files X86., but no Iexplorer.exe, nor any shortcuts on Desktop or Start Menu.

Any suggestions on where to look?

Dennis Brown

It isn’t in the list!  Very strange!

I installed it, and I have two Internet Explorer folders—one in Program Files, and the other in Program Files X86., but no Iexplorer.exe, nor any shortcuts on Desktop or Start Menu.

Any suggestions on where to look?

Image removed by sender.

Dennis Brown

Want the RSS reader of IE.  Does Edge have a similar reader?

Try running Internet Explorer from Run dialog (open Run, type “iexplore” (without quotes) and press Enter). Do this if you are ready to deal with vast implications.

Since it didn’t have a shortcut either on the Desktop or Start Menu, and typing the path you just gave doesn’t launch Iexplore.exe because that file is not in either directory, I posted the question on this forum.

And I have no idea what, "I installed it," could mean.  Internet Explorer still remains a part of Windows 10 that has "come with" since day one.

As noted, it can be found under both: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" and also the Program Files (x86) equivalent as well.

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Image removed by sender.

Larry Wayland

Dennis:

When you follow Bill’s instructions the list comes up in two columns . At least it does on my computer.  You can use first letter navigation and find it or you can use the right and left arrow and go through the list that way.

Larry