Topics

Can someone please help with a nasty Windows Defender issue?

Christo de Klerk

Hello all

I hope there is someone who can advise me as to how to fix this nasty issue I am experiencing with Windows Defender. I am using the latest version of Windows on a 32 bit desktop. This is the issue:

When I boot my computer, near the end of the boot process, I get a notification that my virus protection is disabled. When I look in Action Center, I find the notification that my virus protection is disabled, I must click on the notification to open Windows Security to activate virus protection.

When I then open Windows Security, I get the following message:

"Page not available
Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app, and the item you tried to access is not available. Contact the IT helpdesk for more information."

There is no IT helpdesk that I can contact. It is my personal computer and I am the main guy  (the only guy) on it.

When I check my Windows update in Settings, there is some install that keeps crashing with an error code of 0x80070643. I have Googled this and found some fairly comprehensive information on fixing it, much of it is identical to the very helpful notes written by Brian Vogel: running SFC, then running dism which I have both done. SFC said that it found and corrected some issues. Still, after rebooting the problem did not go away. There was another suggestion of typing a list of command line instructions to stop and restart the Windows update service and clearing the update information which I also done, but to no avail.

The component that failed to install, is:

Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.327.832.0) (2), Failed to install on ‎2020/‎11/‎13 - 0x80070643

The next suggestion was to reinstall Windows Defender which I found and downloaded. The program is called mpam_fe.msi. I have tried to run this. The screen comes up that asks whether or not I wish to run the program and I responded with Yes. The screen went away, but nothing else happened. The program simply does not install, it does nothing at all. It is like I never gave the computer any instruction to install the program. I tried this both not as administrator and as administrator, but to the same effect.

At a stage I managed to find the virus protection section in Windows Defender and told it to do a quick scan, but it, too, does absolutely nothing at all.

In Windows Defender where one sees the list of items such as Home, Account protection, Firewall and network protection, etc., I have 7 instead of 8 items. Virus protection is not there as it is supposed to be.

I really am at a loss. I don't know what to search for further or what to do. It feels like I am sitting on a ticking time bomb. Please can someone suggest a solution.

My apologies for this rambling explanation, but I have to give as much as possible relevant information.

Kind regards

Christo

Christo,

             First, for yourself and others for future reference, never, never, never attempt to tweak Windows Security by manually downloading anything like a specific MSI unless you are specifically doing so under the direction of a Microsoft Engineer.  That way can very often lie madness!

My standard advice with regard to any significant peculiarity with regard to when a known built-in component or feature of Windows 10 is misbehaving is not going to change:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

then, if that doesn't solve the problem move on to

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

Step one is usually enough, but there are rare occasions when you do need to do a repair install of Windows 10 much like repair installs of other Microsoft software like Office.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Jaffar Sidek

On 14/11/2020 2:15 am, Christo de Klerk wrote:

[...]

You may want to try to reset the windows security app by locating it in the start menu and right click on it and go to more then app settings

There you can reset the windows security app

I cant guarantee it will work but it cant do any harm

Good luck

[...]

Fanus

Hello Brian

I have more or less the same problem as Christo and I find no repair option when running the iso. There are only options for installing or downloading an iso file for installation on other machines, so how does one access the repair item?

Regards

Fanus

[...]

Settings > update and security > recovery > reset this pc

[...]

When you run the Media Creation Tool, after it got a few things together, you will be presented with a screen with Legal, Support, Back and Next buttons, and a radio button which, by default, is set to Upgrade this PC. Press down arrow once which will give you the option to create an ISO file. I am at that point now and ready to press Next. Let us hope this process will do it, because nothing else so far has. I am following the steps provided by Brian Vogel. I hope we both will be successful. This is a nasty thing and I have absolutely no idea what could have caused it.

kind regards

Christo

On 2020/11/14 10:34am, Fanus wrote:

[...]

tim

After you made the iso or usb drive. When you go to do the install is when you will be asked if your upgrading or repair.
You will never see that option before you have the file to do the work.

On 11/14/2020 4:17 AM, Christo de Klerk wrote:
[...]

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10 <https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B98uELZbPFnOc2l4M0Y1V3pkcGM>

then, if that doesn't solve the problem move on to

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file <https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1RZiHlLVtXewYBgoSvJNm9_08hj1tALPK>

Step one is usually enough, but there are rare occasions when you do need to do a repair install of Windows 10 much like repair installs of other Microsoft software like Office.

/The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it./
~ Lawrence Krauss

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 03:56 AM, Chris wrote:
Settings > update and security > recovery > reset this pc
-
Not if you care about keeping all your previously installed Store Apps or regular applications.

You have an option to keep your user data files, but not apps, and most people I know do not want to lose all their installed software.  This is why I stopped recommending the Reset option long ago.  I keep hoping that Microsoft is going to eventually make Reset have a "Keep apps and user data" option like a Repair Install does, but no on eI know has reported the appearance of same.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 04:17 AM, Christo de Klerk wrote:
This is a nasty thing and I have absolutely no idea what could have caused it.
-
1.  And probably never will or could.  As a tech, I've long ago accepted the truism, "These things happen," and focusing on fixing them is a better use of time than trying to figure out the cause (which you can seldom control anyway).

2.  Did you try SFC & DISM first?  That will often solve the issue.

And as a general note, not aimed at anyone in particular, when I give instruction sets they are generally complete and field tested many, many times.  In the case of a Repair Install, there is no "option for" a repair install, a repair install is what you're doing by the process as a whole, if the ISO file is for the same version of Windows 10 you're currently running.  If the ISO file you download is for a newer version, then you're doing an in-place Feature Update.  No matter which you're doing, the steps are exactly the same.  It's the circumstance noted above that determines which, precisely, is actually occurring.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 12:16 PM, tim wrote:
When you go to do the install is when you will be asked if your upgrading or repair.
-
You are not asked this.  There is nothing with regard to repair or repairing.  Repairing is the process, and it is the same as doing an upgrade, you're just using the same version's ISO, rather than a newer version's ISO (or install media on USB), when doing a repair.

The dialog sequence is identical for a repair install or an in-place Feature Update on a system that is already running Windows 10..

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Chris

Yes, but it sounds that the issue is beyond repairing , a clean start is what is required here ,  keeping the problem aint gonna help

That I'm sure of

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 01:12 PM, Chris wrote:
Yes, but it sounds that the issue is beyond repairing , a clean start is what is required here
-
No, it's not, at least not as a first step.   A repair install completely replaces the existing Windows 10 installation with a new one, just like a Reset (and former Refresh) did, but allows you to keep your apps and files.

As my own extended instruction set, Britechguy’s Standard Advice Regarding Windows 10 Issues and Their Repair,
says at the end, after discussing doing a completely clean reinstall, "I never choose the “thermonuclear option,” the completely clean reinstall, until it's clear that this is the only viable option. I hate having to go through all the work of reconfiguring a machine from scratch if that can reasonably and safely be avoided."

It's always worth trying SFC/DISM, followed by a Repair Install if necessary, before ever considering a Reset or Completely Clean Install.  I haven't had to advance beyond a Repair Install for several years now.  It's only been necessary fewer times than I can count on one hand.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Chris

With due respect  Brian, we shall have to agree to disagree on this one

I shall say no more, have a good day 😃

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 01:32 PM, Chris wrote:
With due respect  Brian, we shall have to agree to disagree on this one
-
Absolutely fine by me.  We've both put forward our positions and it's up to those reading them to make their own determinations regarding which proverbial road to follow.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

enes sarıbaş

Hello Brian,

I hope you are aware that the mpam.msi file he downloaded is an offitial microsoft approved offline installer of defenitions. Moreover, microsoft support article on defenition explicitly recommends downloading and running if online install fails. I see no wrong or detremental action here.

On 11/13/2020 12:58 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Honestly sounds alot like malware. An offline scan might be advisable.

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 02:36 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
I see no wrong or detremental action here.
-
Enes, no argument there.  But, and I've seen it again and again, this approach often starts getting used where it's entirely inappropriate, and madness ensues.

That's the primary reason I recommend the use of what I'll broadly call Windows Repair Techniques and Utilities.  It also has the added plus of potentially catching other "issues in the making" that haven't as yet exhibited themselves that a more laser focused method would not.

And your suggestion of an offline scan is an excellent one.  I personally don't think it's going to find anything, given the symptoms (the like of which I've encountered before due to Windows itself having screwed itself up somehow), but it absolutely never, ever hurts to do an offline scan for the sake of thoroughness, and preferably as one of the early steps, if not the very first.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

enes sarıbaş

Hi Brian,

Several troubling signs make me think it is malware. Noteably, the administrator had limited access to the app happens when malware disables security apps from running, moreover, the defenition updater offline and online versions being terminated, and the app closing when attempting a quick scan all point to malware in my opinion.

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 02:48 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
Several troubling signs make me think it is malware.
-
And you could be absolutely right.  I'm just leaning the other way due to other experiences.  Running an offline scan should reveal something about which of us has the correct theory.  And it's not because of that revelation that it's a good idea, it should simply be done as a "knock one more thing off the potential possible root causes" list.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss