Topics

Adding an emoji

Holly

Has anyone had a problem adding an emoji using Windows 10, and the latest
JAWS?

When I try to add the emoji to a document, or an email, After I enter on the
emoji I want and then go back to the document or email, JAWS will announce
the title of the emoji, but the image is not there. The only thing that shows up is a small square with a question mark in the middle.

Any ideas?

I actually suspect this is a small corruption in Windows 10.  Try following these instructions (both sets download as MS-Word documents), then see if the issue is resolved:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

and if that doesn't do it:

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

No one has mentioned this occurring before here, or on the JAWS group, which is what makes me think it's something about your machine.  My guess is that an SFC & DISM run will probably resolve the issue.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Holly

Brian:

I had an AIRA agent tandem my computer this morning.  When I tried to add the emoji, it just showed that strange little symbol, not the emoji graphic, but when the agent added an emoji to the same doc, from her end,it entered into the doc as it should.

Would this give you any more clues?

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 01:12 PM, Holly wrote:
Would this give you any more clues?

 That depends.  Was this person doing this on your machine with JAWS being used to do the whole process, or was the screen reader off?

There is no reason that getting in by remote should make something that doesn't work suddenly work.  But, if something that is normally a part of the equation was removed from it when that other party was at work, that's the first thing I'd suspect was introducing the error.

If JAWS was off, then I'd take this up with Freedom Scientific Technical Support.

By the way, have you tried this using Narrator or NVDA rather than JAWS, just as a diagnostic step?

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Holly,

         By the way, since running SFC and DISM cannot damage anything, only find that nothing's wrong if nothing's wrong, it won't hurt to do that part for good measure.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Holly

Brian:

I assume the agent was using a mouse.  I am not sure JAWS was running on her machine.  I didn’t hear JAWS in the background on her end.

Holly,

          From what you'd said I thought the activity was carried out by that agent remoting in to your machine.  What I'm asking is did she do this on your machine and, if so, was JAWS running and doing it's usual announcing what was going on even with someone controlling everything by point and click?

          Essentially, if it works without JAWS running, then blame JAWS.  If it's working with JAWS running and someone else doing the point and click, it's probably not JAWS per se.

           What was or was not happening on her end is not what's relevant here, but what actually occurred, and under what conditions, on your end of the session.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Holly

Brian:

Yes, she was doing it on my machine, but I don’t remember if I heard JAWS announcing anything while she was adding the emoji at her end.

Holly,

         Then the first thing I'd try as a differential diagnostic is using another screen reader when trying to insert an emoji.  That would rule in JAWS as a likely culprit if everything works fine with another screen reader, or rule it out as the likely culprit if the issue persists.

         Differential diagnosis of root causes is a tedious process of elimination where you have to take out factors one by one and hope you hit upon something as the beginning steps.

          For something like using another screen reader, that's easy and straightforward and it gives you a lot of information right off the bat.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Holly

OK, I will try with narrator, as I don’t have NVDA.

Holly

Brian:

I will try to add an emoji at the bottom of this email.  First with JAWS, which will be the ‘rolling on the floor laughing’ one, and with Narrator, which will be ‘two hearts’.

Let me know if either shows up.

🤣💕

Holly,

Both are present and visible.  I presume you know that I'm fully sighted, not that this is important, per se, but when I say visible I mean literally.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

And Jaws read both emojies correctly