Topics

Accessible version of C Cleaner with NVDA

Dave Grossoehme

Good Day:  Is the newest version of C Cleaner accessible with NVDA?  If not, what is the newest version of C Cleaner that is accessible and usable with NVDA?

Dave

emile

I tried to use c cleaner this morning using jaws, nvda, system access and narrator. None of them work. I have the latest c cleaner by the way. Any suggestions anyone?
Emile.

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Grossoehme
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2020 8:29 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] Accessible version of C Cleaner with NVDA

Good Day:  Is the newest version of C Cleaner accessible with NVDA?  If not, what is the newest version of C Cleaner that is accessible and usable with NVDA?

Dave

System Ninja is one decent alternative, and it's "out of the box" settings for cleanup are safe to use if you run into an accessibility problem anywhere.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Mike B

After you open CCleaner press the spacebar or enter on the, Custom, checkbox.  Running it in this mode is the closest to the old CCleaner.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2020 7:47 AM
Subject: Re: [win10] Accessible version of C Cleaner with NVDA

I tried to use c cleaner this morning using jaws, nvda, system access and narrator.  None of them work.  I have the latest c cleaner by the way.  Any suggestions anyone?
Emile.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Grossoehme

Good Day: Is the newest version of C Cleaner accessible with NVDA? If not, what is the newest version of C Cleaner that is accessible and usable with NVDA?

Dave

emile

Hi Mike! Sorry, I forgot to mentionn that as far as custom clean, it works perfectly however, the health check does no longer work with the screen readers that I mentionned earlier.

Emile.

On 8/1/2020 10:57 AM, Mike B wrote:
After you open CCleaner press the spacebar or enter on the, Custom, checkbox.  Running it in this mode is the closest to the old CCleaner.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2020 7:47 AM
Subject: Re: [win10] Accessible version of C Cleaner with NVDA

I tried to use c cleaner this morning using jaws, nvda, system access and narrator.  None of them work.  I have the latest c cleaner by the way.  Any suggestions anyone?
Emile.

Good Day: Is the newest version of C Cleaner accessible with NVDA? If not, what is the newest version of C Cleaner that is accessible and usable with NVDA?

Dave

Dave Grossoehme

Good Morning Bryan and all:  I'm trying to download a version of windows and keep being told I don't have enough disc space.  I have cleaned everything by hand that I can think of other than the prefetch.  I don't have a portable storage device at hand.  I will have to buy one.  I have another drive on this computer, but it donesn't seem like the program doesn't wish to use the d: drive.  I only have disc cleanup at this time.  Would C Cleaner help here?  If not, do you have any other advice?

Dave

On 8/1/2020 8:21 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
System Ninja is one decent alternative, and it's "out of the box" settings for cleanup are safe to use if you run into an accessibility problem anywhere.

--

Dave,

No one can really advise you without knowing how much storage is currently available on your system.  Here is how I suggest you get it.

1. Open a PowerShell session with admin privileges.  You can do this in any one of several ways, but you can definitely hit the Windows Key, type PowerShell (one word) and the first result will be PowerShell which, once selected, you can bring up the context menu and choose Run as administrator.

2. Powershell will open, and by default you will be sitting in your home folder, which is fine.  Typically it's C:\Users\{insert correct user identifier here}.  You need to note where that is for you.

3. Copy this command:  get-psdrive -psprovider filesystem > MyDriveSpace.txt
then paste it into PowerShell and hit Enter.

4.  You now have a file named MyDriveSpace.txt in your home folder (note Home, not Documents) that shows your actual disks and space used/available.  Open that file with Notepad and paste the contents in your next reply.

Just so you feel secure about that, and can see what to expect, here's what comes out of doing that on my own machine:
-------

Name           Used (GB)     Free (GB) Provider      Root                                               CurrentLocation
----           ---------     --------- --------      ----                                               ---------------
C                 600.42       1244.96 FileSystem    C:\                                                    Users\brite
D                  14.51          1.90 FileSystem    D:\                                                               
F                                      FileSystem    F:\                                                               
I                   0.18         29.53 FileSystem    I:\                                                               

-------

There is nothing to be concerned about with regard to privacy.

--

Kevin Cussick

I tried this app using nvda and does not seem accessible, have You tried with any screen reader? thanks in advance.

On 01/08/2020 16:21, Brian Vogel wrote:
--
Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 04:56 PM, Kevin Cussick wrote:
have You tried with any screen reader?
Yes, NVDA.  System Ninja Opens to the Scan for Junk tab, which is what I presume most will be using.   When it opens NVDA starts to read the Window title, "System Ninja," but stops after System and says unknown.  I can then tab to the Scan for Junk button, which is announced, or beyond it to the checkboxes for the things you can scan for.  What is odd, in the latest version, is NVDA does not declare the checkbox a checkbox nor read out its state, but it does give you the label on said checkbox.  I don't know why that is.  The same thing is true after you activate the Scan for Junk button, and the checklist of drives is presented (C: is checked by default) with a continue button.  The button is announced, but the checkbox that's checked for C: is not, but I didn't attempt to tab around in that dialog, either, and the continue button has focus.

I use this utility myself with the "out of the box" checkboxes checked and just hit the Scan for Junk button, Continue button (since C: is my system drive, and I'd suppose what it's going to put first and the only thing checked will be the OS system drive), then after the scan is done the Scan for Junk button regains focus (it's a Cancel button while the scan is running).  If you want to review what it found you can SHIFT+TAB back to the status list and arrow down through the files list.  If you just want to nuke them, a single tab takes you to the Delete Files button.  After all are deleted, focus is thrown back to the checkbox list that starts with Temporary Files, where the checkboxes are not announced.

If someone knows of a 100% accessible utility of this sort then, by all means, that's what I'd use.  But System Ninja is sufficiently accessible that you can do a standard junk scan and delete with confidence.  

I haven't tried to see if BleachBit might be more accessible, but I dropped CCleaner back when it was purchased by Avast.
--

Kevin Cussick

C cleaner used to be a good program. but they have managed to screw around and now a days it is not so accessible. I am sorry I managed to piss you off on the windows10 list. I don't go out of my way to repeat questions or rather sorry answers to questions. some times I get a bit enthusiastic, and just say I know the answer and just write it down. then post I think you should if You have to dress someone down fare though but do it off list please. now maybe You did but I did not check but if you did not I think a word off list is better than dressing someone down on list. thoughts.

On 01/08/2020 22:39, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 04:56 PM, Kevin Cussick wrote:
have You tried with any screen reader?
Yes, NVDA.  System Ninja Opens to the Scan for Junk tab, which is what I presume most will be using.   When it opens NVDA starts to read the Window title, "System Ninja," but stops after System and says unknown. I can then tab to the Scan for Junk button, which is announced, or beyond it to the checkboxes for the things you can scan for.  What is odd, in the latest version, is NVDA does not declare the checkbox a checkbox nor read out its state, but it does give you the label on said checkbox.  I don't know why that is.  The same thing is true after you activate the Scan for Junk button, and the checklist of drives is presented (C: is checked by default) with a continue button.  The button is announced, but the checkbox that's checked for C: is not, but I didn't attempt to tab around in that dialog, either, and the continue button has focus.
I use this utility myself with the "out of the box" checkboxes checked and just hit the Scan for Junk button, Continue button (since C: is my system drive, and I'd suppose what it's going to put first and the only thing checked will be the OS system drive), then after the scan is done the Scan for Junk button regains focus (it's a Cancel button while the scan is running).  If you want to review what it found you can SHIFT+TAB back to the status list and arrow down through the files list.  If you just want to nuke them, a single tab takes you to the Delete Files button.  After all are deleted, focus is thrown back to the checkbox list that starts with Temporary Files, where the checkboxes are not announced.
If someone knows of a 100% accessible utility of this sort then, by all means, that's what I'd use.  But System Ninja is sufficiently accessible that you can do a standard junk scan and delete with confidence.
I haven't tried to see if BleachBit might be more accessible, but I dropped CCleaner back when it was purchased by Avast.
--
Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 05:53 PM, Kevin Cussick wrote:
You have to dress someone down fare though but do it off list please. now maybe You did but I did not check but if you did not I think a word off list is better than dressing someone down on list. thoughts.
-
I am going to address this, on-list, because I think it deserves an on-list response.

As far as I'm concerned, I am done apologizing for the list rules and requests for specific conventions, and for enforcing same.  There have been numerous Admin Notices regarding what the group conventions are, and the direction in which the group is supposed to be moving.  Those have been being ignored, and far, far too often, by members who have been a part of this community for years.  I'm no longer going to call people out entirely off list, particularly for posting repetitious material that is a direct result of not having reviewed a topic in its entirety before adding something that's been said hours to days before.

If you have issues with this, then please take them up with the group owner, using the appropriate mechanism for doing so, email to win10+owner@win10.groups.io.

But it is long past time that the membership of this group accept and acknowledge that the rules and conventions issued from group administration apply to them, and to follow same.  It's not like you (for anyone but the newest of newbies, who will generally be cut a bit of slack) have not been asked nicely, read multiple admin notices, and more, again and again and again.  Comply, not please comply, but comply.

--