Topics

About running a lower version of Win10 setup file inside a higher version of Win10

William Wong

Hi all,

I wanna ask about, is there anyone try this before.

For example, if you are currently running 20h2, and you run a setup of 19h2,

1. can you use this method to lower the version of Windows?

2. can you use this method to install the lower version to another disk of the same computer?

Thanks.

William

Chris

The only ways I know is that if its a recent upgrade to your current version of windows then you may be able to recover back to the previous version

Otherwise it would have to be a clean install I'm afraid

Sent: 13 November 2020 13:15
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] About running a lower version of Win10 setup file inside a higher version of Win10

H

I have never once heard of someone even trying to roll back a Windows 10 version by trying to install over it with an older version and I certainly wouldn't try it.

As to installing "on a different drive" I don't know how one would do that, either, if the second drive is just that.  From everything I can tell about the Windows 10 setup it appears to check if the drive on to which the install is taking place is formatted, and active, as the boot device.

There are absolutely setups available for large companies, universities, etc., to image many drives that are then popped into the machines on which they will be the boot drive.  But that's an entirely different setup.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041
The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it. 
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Why would you want to do this? I can't think of any reason for that to be possible.

On 11/13/2020 8:15 AM, William Wong wrote:
Hi all,

I wanna ask about, is there anyone try this before.

For example, if you are currently running 20h2, and you run a setup of 19h2,

1. can you use this method to lower the version of Windows?

2. can you use this method to install the lower version to another disk of the same computer?

Thanks.

William

William Wong

Hi,

Let me answer my question in case someone else do face this issue.

Yes, you can install an older Win10 version inside a newer version of Win10

e.g. I run the downloaded iso of 19h2 on a 20h1

The process is very accessible, after the installing and setup process, my newer version of win10 is gone, and come with a old version of win10

No, using this method cannot install to a second drive.

I go through this process, unlike running from a boot usb, this process do not have a custom option which you cannot choose the target drive to be another disk partition that is not the current OS.

Brian Vogel 於 13/11/2020 22:40 寫道:

I have never once heard of someone even trying to roll back a Windows 10 version by trying to install over it with an older version and I certainly wouldn't try it.

As to installing "on a different drive" I don't know how one would do that, either, if the second drive is just that.  From everything I can tell about the Windows 10 setup it appears to check if the drive on to which the install is taking place is formatted, and active, as the boot device.

There are absolutely setups available for large companies, universities, etc., to image many drives that are then popped into the machines on which they will be the boot drive.  But that's an entirely different setup.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

William Wong

Haha, I do not want to bother about this either, if my new Dell pc do not have problem.

It is more than a week, and Dell technical still has not give me any productive responses, so I just wanna try installing a old version of win10 to test if the problem is version specific.

Then I wannt try installing to a second drive to see of the problem is drive specific.

Brian Vogel 於 13/11/2020 22:40 寫道:

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 04:03 AM, William Wong wrote:
if my new Dell pc do not have problem.
-
And with every one of these gyrations you make it more and more possible for Dell to deny service.  It doesn't matter, one iota, what's wrong.  If it's a new machine and still under the return window, then return it.  If it's still under warranty get warranty service.  Doing otherwise just makes it more and more likely that the manufacturer can find reason, legitimate or not, to deny either.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

William Wong

Well, the Dell here told me that they do not have a unlimited return or refund policy.

Return or refund can only be made if they can identify the source of the problem.

Brian Vogel 於 16/11/2020 1:01 寫道:

-
And with every one of these gyrations you make it more and more possible for Dell to deny service.  It doesn't matter, one iota, what's wrong.  If it's a new machine and still under the return window, then return it.  If it's still under warranty get warranty service.  Doing otherwise just makes it more and more likely that the manufacturer can find reason, legitimate or not, to deny either.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 04:18 AM, William Wong wrote:
Return or refund can only be made if they can identify the source of the problem.
-
If you are doing something under the direction of a company's tech support, that's an entirely different situation, and needs to be clearly stated.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Sarah k Alawami

Did you call many times and get different people and tell them what is going on and insist you got this thing now 10 or 15 day ago? Something seems off here in terms of said return. Did you also take it back to your computer shop? And if so, what did they say when you tried to return it there?

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 16 Nov 2020, at 1:18, William Wong wrote:

Well, the Dell here told me that they do not have a unlimited return or refund policy.

Brian Vogel 於 16/11/2020 1:01 寫道:
-

--

~ Lawrence Krauss