Topics

A real oddity with MSEdge

Larry Higgins

Neither me or my dear sighted wife have ever seen anything quite like this one before.

Tonight while typing, or trying to type in a URL in the edit box, on about the third letter, the browser would completely close, revealing the desktop. This happened at least ten times, and after my wife became curious as to what all the cursing was about, she finally came over and tried some herself, and the very same thing happened.

Ultimately, she reset the browser, and things were sort of Okay, but it actually happened once again, and the next go round, I typed the URL in more slowly, and it kept open.

I sure hope this oddity has happened to others, and that maybe one might propose a permanent solution to this problem. I mean, this really strikes me as quite peculiar indeed.

Any help on this one would definitely be appreciated.

Most sincerely,

Larry

Steve Dresser

Larry,

I ran into the same problem and after closing Edge and restarting it several times and getting the same result, I gave up and used Google Chrome. I don't think there's any solution except for Microsoft to give us an update which fixes this bug. Perhaps someone else knows more, and I'd welcome any ideas.

Steve

[...]

Lino Morales

OK to the person who posted about the address bar issue go you here. Its a problem Microsoft is aware of and here is a fix. Just ran across this on Twitter.  @MicrosoftHelps: RT @MSEdgeDev: Thanks for everyone's patience while we investigated! We believe this to be resolved now. We encourage you to revert your br…
 @MSEdgeDev: Are you seeing Edge crash when trying to type into the address bar? The team is looking into it! In the meantime, as a workaround, please turn off Search Suggestions here: edge://settings/search. We'll follow up once we have more!

Larry Higgins

Well, I guess that is all we can ask. I will try that right away, though come to think of it, I don't think I have suggestions turned on.

On 7/30/2020 10:03 PM, Lino Morales wrote:
OK to the person who posted about the address bar issue go you here. Its a problem Microsoft is aware of and here is a fix. Just ran across this on Twitter.  @MicrosoftHelps: RT @MSEdgeDev: Thanks for everyone's patience while we investigated! We believe this to be resolved now. We encourage you to revert your br…
 @MSEdgeDev: Are you seeing Edge crash when trying to type into the address bar? The team is looking into it! In the meantime, as a workaround, please turn off Search Suggestions here: edge://settings/search. We'll follow up once we have more!

Bill White

I always turn off search suggestions in any browser I use as soon as I set it up.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

OK to the person who posted about the address bar issue go you
here. Its a problem Microsoft is aware of and here is a fix. Just ran
across this on Twitter. @MicrosoftHelps: RT @MSEdgeDev: Thanks for
everyone's patience while we investigated! We believe this to be
resolved now. We encourage you to revert your br…
@MSEdgeDev: Are you seeing Edge crash when trying to type into the
address bar? The team is looking into it! In the meantime, as a
workaround, please turn off Search Suggestions here:
edge://settings/search. We'll follow up once we have more!

Sarah k Alawami

Knock on wood I have not had this problem as of yet. But I save some of my programs as apps which makes things a bit easier.

On 30 Jul 2020, at 19:49, Steve Dresser via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Microsoft is aware of this, possibly caused by search suggestions as detailed in the following MSPoweruser article:
https://mspoweruser.com/edge-is-crashing-when-you-type-anything-in-the-search-bar/

[...]

William Vandervest

One possible way around this problem is to type the url into the run command edit box and then just hit enter
Hope this helps

William Vandervest
timelord09@...
Win10 latest revision

There are none so blind, as those who will not see.

William Vandervest

[...]

That will work only if Microsoft is your default browser.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

[...]

Tom K

Hi, is this just in edge dev? I'm using the full version, not dev and have had no problems.

Tom K.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 12:27 PM, Tom K wrote:
I'm using the full version, not dev and have had no problems.
-
It was in the wide-release new Edge, not Edge Dev, and did not appear to affect every user.  Like so many bugs, some display themselves only if the code has run through a certain path to arrive at the place to trigger it, and just having a different way of doing things can mean that one user "took a different road" than another, and the bump only appears if a single road was traveled.

The above being said, the blog article that Joseph Lee offered has already been updated stating that a fix has been made, which is not surprising.  Notices regarding Edge will come from the Edge developers, generally under the Edge Dev "banner," even if the issue is with "regular" Edge.  I quote:

Update: The issue has now been resolved, though Microsoft has not offered an explanation yet.

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902