Topics

A Question About Updates

Lynne Moore

Hello everyone. I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy.
I'm hoping some of you could help me out a bit. I am the not so proud
owner of a Dell Inspiron 15 3565 laptop with 4 GB of memory, running
jaws 2020, Windows version 1903, OS build 18362. I do know that this
version is soon to be unsupported as of December. Anyway, a couple of
weeks ago I was presented with a feature update to Windows 10, version
20H2. When I installed it, my computer would not boot all the way
into Windows and I eventually had to restart. Once it finally did
restart, it of course told me that my update had failed and it would
try again later. I have attempted the update 3 times with the same
results. I'm trying to stop this feature update from continuing to
try to reinstall. I have googled this and I was told to delete
everything in my software distribution folder and that didn't work.
Could anyone give me advice as to how to stop this update from running
or how to make it run correctly? Thank you for any help. I very much
appreciate it.
Lynne Moore

This might be an issue where Microsoft Accessibility could be of great help.

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lynne Moore
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 9:22 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] A Question About Updaes

I'm hoping some of you could help me out a bit. I am the not so proud owner of a Dell Inspiron 15 3565 laptop with 4 GB of memory, running jaws 2020, Windows version 1903, OS build 18362. I do know that this version is soon to be unsupported as of December. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I was presented with a feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2. When I installed it, my computer would not boot all the way into Windows and I eventually had to restart. Once it finally did restart, it of course told me that my update had failed and it would try again later. I have attempted the update 3 times with the same results. I'm trying to stop this feature update from continuing to try to reinstall. I have googled this and I was told to delete everything in my software distribution folder and that didn't work.
Could anyone give me advice as to how to stop this update from running or how to make it run correctly? Thank you for any help. I very much appreciate it.
Lynne Moore

leonard morris

You stated, "I am the not so proud owner of a Dell Inspiron 15 3565 laptop." Well, I am in a simimilar possible situation as yours with my Dell Inspiron 153573 laptop. So far I have not been offered the latest windows update but as it has been pointed out sooner or later I will probably face the same issues. So, I am very much interested in reading any solutions from this list or if you do contact Microsoft support will you please post what you learn? Thanks. BTW, my laptop does not have an application key does yours? I am just curious.

On 20/11/2020 1:22 pm, Lynne Moore wrote:
I'm hoping some of you could help me out a bit. I am the not so proud
owner of a Dell Inspiron 15 3565 laptop with 4 GB of memory, running
jaws 2020, Windows version 1903, OS build 18362. I do know that this
version is soon to be unsupported as of December. Anyway, a couple of
weeks ago I was presented with a feature update to Windows 10, version
20H2. When I installed it, my computer would not boot all the way
into Windows and I eventually had to restart. Once it finally did
restart, it of course told me that my update had failed and it would
try again later. I have attempted the update 3 times with the same
results. I'm trying to stop this feature update from continuing to
try to reinstall. I have googled this and I was told to delete
everything in my software distribution folder and that didn't work.
Could anyone give me advice as to how to stop this update from running
or how to make it run correctly? Thank you for any help. I very much
appreciate it.
Lynne Moore

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Lynne Moore

Hi Leonard,

Yes, I believe my laptop does have an applications key.  The only good thing about it is that it has a number pad as well as the standard keyboard, so this makes it very large, but that is about the only thing good about it.  I unfortunately purchased it from a friend thinking that it didn’t matter how much memory it had, as I just wanted to learn Windows 10 on it.  Boy was I wrong!  You have my sympathy.  Anyway, whatever you do, don’t go into optional updates and try to download this; that is how I got into this mess in the first place.  My concern is that this computer doesn’t have enough memory to update.  I hope I’m wrong.  I’ll let you know what I learn.

Lynne Moore

Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 4:05 AM
Subject: Re: [win10] A Question About Updaes

You stated, "I am the not so proud owner of a Dell Inspiron

15 3565 laptop." Well, I am in a simimilar possible situation as yours

with my Dell Inspiron 153573 laptop. So far I have not been offered the

latest windows update but as it has been pointed out sooner or later I

will probably face the same issues. So, I am very much interested in

reading any solutions from this list or if you do contact Microsoft

support will you please post what you learn? Thanks. BTW, my laptop does

not have an application key does yours? I am just curious.

On 20/11/2020 1:22 pm, Lynne Moore wrote:

> Hello everyone.  I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy.

> I'm hoping some of you could help me out a bit.  I am the not so proud

> owner of a Dell Inspiron 15 3565 laptop with 4 GB of memory, running

> jaws 2020, Windows version 1903, OS build 18362.  I do know that this

> version is soon to be unsupported as of December.  Anyway, a couple of

> weeks ago I was presented with a feature update to Windows 10, version

> 20H2.  When I installed it, my computer would not boot all the way

> into Windows and I eventually had to restart.  Once it finally did

> restart, it of course told me that my update had failed and it would

> try again later.  I have attempted the update 3 times with the same

> results.  I'm trying to stop this feature update from continuing to

> try to reinstall.  I have googled this and I was told to delete

> everything in my software distribution folder and that didn't work.

> Could anyone give me advice as to how to stop this update from running

> or how to make it run correctly?  Thank you for any help.  I very much

> appreciate it.

> Lynne Moore

>

--

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.

https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Hamit Campos

Dam another Dell problem. I say that like this because this would happen on my Dell Enspiron 3847 tower as well. Na you're good. Yes for today's standards 4 GB ram is lowish but it's some file got messed up. I thought I saw a youtube video or maybe on another list someone said how to correct this. Darn sorry I can't remember how to fix it. But look it up on youtube I sware I saw a video on how to fix it. Still though. Seriously what up with Dell?

Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 12:22 AM

I'm hoping some of you could help me out a bit. I am the not so proud owner of a Dell Inspiron 15 3565 laptop with 4 GB of memory, running jaws 2020, Windows version 1903, OS build 18362. I do know that this version is soon to be unsupported as of December. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I was presented with a feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2. When I installed it, my computer would not boot all the way into Windows and I eventually had to restart. Once it finally did restart, it of course told me that my update had failed and it would try again later. I have attempted the update 3 times with the same results. I'm trying to stop this feature update from continuing to try to reinstall. I have googled this and I was told to delete everything in my software distribution folder and that didn't work.
Could anyone give me advice as to how to stop this update from running or how to make it run correctly? Thank you for any help. I very much appreciate it.
Lynne Moore

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 12:39 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
-
Amen to that!   If you've got no-cost access to Microsoft support, it only makes sense to take it in a situation like this.  

Microsoft Windows & Office Accessibility Support
(800) 936-5900

U.S. Website:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Accessibility/disability-answer-desk?activetab=contact-pivot%3aprimaryr9

UK Website:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/disability-answer-desk?activetab=contact-pivot:primaryr9

both of which give options other than phone for getting in touch.

I have strongly favored doing all Feature Updates using the following method for a very long time now:  Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041
The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it. 
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Lynne Moore

Hi Brian and Sieghard.  Thanks for the advice.  I believe I will call them and ask what to do, since I’m not really a geek and I don’t want to mess things up any more than they are.  Thank you again.

Lynne Moore

Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: [win10] A Question About Updates

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 12:39 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

-
Amen to that!   If you've got no-cost access to Microsoft support, it only makes sense to take it in a situation like this.  

Microsoft Windows & Office Accessibility Support
(800) 936-5900

U.S. Website:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Accessibility/disability-answer-desk?activetab=contact-pivot%3aprimaryr9

UK Website:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/disability-answer-desk?activetab=contact-pivot:primaryr9

both of which give options other than phone for getting in touch.

I have strongly favored doing all Feature Updates using the following method for a very long time now:  Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041
The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it. 
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Lynne Moore

Hi Hamit,

Thanks for the advice.  I didn’t know Dell was having trouble.  I finally got the update to work, but not without a great deal of work.  I really appreciate your help.

Lynne Moore

Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 10:54 AM

Dam another Dell problem. I say that like this because this would happen on my Dell Enspiron 3847 tower as well. Na you're good. Yes for today's standards 4 GB ram is lowish but it's some file got messed up. I thought I saw a youtube video or maybe on another list someone said how to correct this. Darn sorry I can't remember how to fix it. But look it up on youtube I sware I saw a video on how to fix it. Still though. Seriously what up with Dell?

Hello everyone.  I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy.

I'm hoping some of you could help me out a bit.  I am the not so proud owner of a Dell Inspiron 15 3565 laptop with 4 GB of memory, running jaws 2020, Windows version 1903, OS build 18362.  I do know that this version is soon to be unsupported as of December.  Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I was presented with a feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2.  When I installed it, my computer would not boot all the way into Windows and I eventually had to restart.  Once it finally did restart, it of course told me that my update had failed and it would try again later.  I have attempted the update 3 times with the same results.  I'm trying to stop this feature update from continuing to try to reinstall.  I have googled this and I was told to delete everything in my software distribution folder and that didn't work.

Could anyone give me advice as to how to stop this update from running or how to make it run correctly?  Thank you for any help.  I very much appreciate it.

Lynne Moore

Hamit Campos

Hi Lin. Glad you got it. Yeah I really know not what up with Dell. That was with an Enspiron 3847 desktop. There’s other strange things going on with the new XPS 8940. Meh maybe I should have had my nephew Jonathan build me a PC instead. Then I could’ve perhaps tried to get a mother board from MSI that may have similar audio to the glorious audio of their Trident gaming desktop. Man the stereo to that PC is glorious. I love it.

Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 10:13 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] A Question About Updates

Hi Hamit,

Thanks for the advice.  I didn’t know Dell was having trouble.  I finally got the update to work, but not without a great deal of work.  I really appreciate your help.

Lynne Moore

Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 10:54 AM

Hello everyone.  I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy.

I'm hoping some of you could help me out a bit.  I am the not so proud owner of a Dell Inspiron 15 3565 laptop with 4 GB of memory, running jaws 2020, Windows version 1903, OS build 18362.  I do know that this version is soon to be unsupported as of December.  Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I was presented with a feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2.  When I installed it, my computer would not boot all the way into Windows and I eventually had to restart.  Once it finally did restart, it of course told me that my update had failed and it would try again later.  I have attempted the update 3 times with the same results.  I'm trying to stop this feature update from continuing to try to reinstall.  I have googled this and I was told to delete everything in my software distribution folder and that didn't work.

Could anyone give me advice as to how to stop this update from running or how to make it run correctly?  Thank you for any help.  I very much appreciate it.

Lynne Moore