Running System File Check

Dan Kerstetter

How do I run a system file check?  I’m trying to resolve a problem I’m having with Word.  Thus far MS Accessibility hasn’t been able to fix it.

Thanks.

Dan K

For an hour of good alternative and classic rock tune in to my show:  A Little Bit of This and a Little Bit of That  Monday at 5:00 eastern and Tuesday and Friday 8:00 eastern on out of sight radio.

http://www.out-of-sight.net/radio

Jeff Christiansen

From an elevated command prompt type the following

SFC /scannow

Press enter and observe the results.

To get an elevated command prompt.

Touch the Windows key and type CMD

Use applications key and press enter on, run as administrator, the command prompt will open after answering the UAC assuming you are not using an admin account.

How do I run a system file check?  I’m trying to resolve a problem I’m having with Word.  Thus far MS Accessibility hasn’t been able to fix it.

Thanks.

Dan K

For an hour of good alternative and classic rock tune in to my show:  A Little Bit of This and a Little Bit of That  Monday at 5:00 eastern and Tuesday and Friday 8:00 eastern on out of sight radio.

http://www.out-of-sight.net/radio

brice Mijares

I got this somewhere in the past.

Fixing “Weird Issues” under Windows 8 or Windows 10 Using the System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management (DISM)
If you are having "weird problems" with any Windows system, the first thing you should do is to run the System File Checker (SFC).  Open a Command Prompt window using the "Run as Administrator" option.  The easiest way to do this is to hit the Windows Key, immediately enter the text “Command Prompt” and getting the Command Prompt desktop app returned as the first item.  Gain focus on it and bring up the context menu either via right click or hitting the menu/applications key [if your machine has one] or Shift+F10 if it does not then selecting “Run as administrator” from the context menu that appears.  Once that elevated command prompt window is opened, enter:
SFC /scannow
When it's finished look at its output to see if it found any corrupt files and whether it was able to fix them.
If SFC reports that it was unable to fix something, on Windows 8 and Windows 10 systems it's also worth running the following command, also in a Command Prompt window that's been opened with "Run as Adminstrator":
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
DISM should be able to fix errors that SFC may not be able to fix.  If you wish to be really thorough, after running DISM, and presuming it reports that all has been fixed, shutdown and restart your machine and run SFC one final time.  The SFC result should be clean.
--

From an elevated command prompt type the following

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 04:54 PM, brice Mijares wrote:
I got this somewhere in the past.
-
That would be from me:  Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

If SFC & DISM don't fix it, then I'd suggest doing a repair install of MS-Office.  If that doesn't fix it then you may want to uninstall and reinstall MS-Office.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

       ~Albert Einstein

brice Mijares

Well Brian, I'll thank you for all of us.

On 3/4/2021 2:04 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 04:54 PM, brice Mijares wrote:
I got this somewhere in the past.
-
That would be from me:  Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

If SFC & DISM don't fix it, then I'd suggest doing a repair install of MS-Office.  If that doesn't fix it then you may want to uninstall and reinstall MS-Office.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

       ~Albert Einstein

Steven Hicks

Run a command prompt and type in sfc.exe /scannow