How do I change the audio output of a specific program?

Kevin Minor

Hi.

I have a program called Stascom. It gives the time, announces battery level, and will correct the volume of the sound device if it gets too low. Even though it’s no longer being developed, I like it. I have a small problem. It’s speech is going through my internal sound device, and I’d prefer it to go through the default device. I’ve looked everywhere I can think of, but there’s nothing obvious. I looked in the program, and found nothing. I then thought it might have something to do with system sounds, but those go through the default device. I even checked out Microsoft speech, which is used, and that’s going through the proper device.

Any ideas? Something tells me this is a very simple fix. Oh yeah, uninstalling and reinstalling the program didn’t change anything.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

Hi,

Go to Settings (Windows+I)/System/Sound/App volume and device preferences. The first set of controls is master volume and overall sound settings. The second set of controls will let you select the output device and volume for running apps.

I have a program called Stascom. It gives the time, announces battery level, and will correct the volume of the sound device if it gets too low. Even though it’s no longer being developed, I like it. I have a small problem. It’s speech is going through my internal sound device, and I’d prefer it to go through the default device. I’ve looked everywhere I can think of, but there’s nothing obvious. I looked in the program, and found nothing. I then thought it might have something to do with system sounds, but those go through the default device. I even checked out Microsoft speech, which is used, and that’s going through the proper device.

Any ideas? Something tells me this is a very simple fix. Oh yeah, uninstalling and reinstalling the program didn’t change anything.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

Sarah k Alawami

You can also type sndvol in the run dialogue and get the same dialogue. You can even from there change the default device via the tool bar there. I love it.

[...]

Jacob Kruger

FWIW, I forwarded the original post on to the developer of stascom, and, here is his response:

---response---

I quote from my page, which you can perhaps share with the mailing list.

"• On-the-fly changes of the default audio output device will be honoured by program specific voice notifications. To ensure that this works as expected, the advanced setting for SAPI5 settings in Windows should be set to use "preferred audio device" instead of a specific sound card;"

---end response---

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2021-02-28 07:23 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

[...]

What am I looking for to change SAPI5 settings? All I’m finding is speech recognition.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

On 2021-02-28 07:23 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Kevin, honestly not sure, so, you'd probably do best to follow Joseph's advice - I just went there, and did find stascom.exe listed in currently running apps.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
/Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

Hi.

On 2021-02-28 07:23 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

[...]

I did the steps Joseph mentioned. Didn’t work.

Oh well.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

Hi.

On 2021-02-28 07:23 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

[...]

DJ <grouloc@...>

Will a user Be able to set the volume for jaws?

[...]

Mike B

Hi Kevin,

Below is the Stascom user guide, hopefully you'll find what you need in it:

STASCOM UTILITY SUITE USER GUIDE

Once Stascom Utility Suite has been installed, this user guide can be opened with the hot key, control+Windows+F1. The file will be launched in your default
Internet browser. This document has been tested with three browsers and was found to navigate as expected. These browsers are Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox
and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Navigating the contents is similar to that of any page on the Internet, e.g. by headings and hyperlinks. The main sections
are distinguished by level 1 headings, the sub-sections by level 2 headings, while additional information for sub-sections are under level 3 headings.
The document consists of four main sections, i.e.

navigation region
General program operation,

Utility description and configuration options

Hot key reference

Acknowledgements
navigation region end

General program operation topics:

list of 12 items
Background on Stascom program
Supported operating systems
A note to users of previous versions
A quick note on using button controls in Stascom dialogues
installing the program
automatic update feature
removing the package
Temporarily unloading the program from memory
Getting a summary of your settings
The menu hot key
Downloading the installer
Contacting the program developer
list end

Utility description and configuration options topics:

list of 12 items
OVERVIEW OF UTILITIES
SOUND RECOVERY
AUTOMATED DAY / NIGHT VOLUME ADJUSTMENT
AUTOMATED MAXIMISING OF APPLICATION WINDOWS
AUTOMATIC TIME ANNOUNCEMENTS
AUDIO RELATED HOT KEYS
PASSWORD GENERATOR
WORD COUNT
WINDOWS SETTINGS AND APPLICATIONS
CONFIGURATION OPTIONS OUTSIDE THE SCOPE OF AUTOMATED FUNCTIONS
Inserting accented and other special characters
Translation of emoji symbols by NVDA
list end

GENERAL PROGRAM OPERATION
BACKGROUND ON THE PROGRAM

Stascom Utility Suite currently consists of a few, often unrelated, utilities. I started this project in late 2015, initially simply calling it Stascom.
At the time the aim was merely to create a tool to automatically recover and manage sound on a user's default audio device. Subsequently I have added more
utilities and functionality, which do not necessarily have any relation to audio as such. Nonetheless, they are proving useful, thus I added these to the
package. As the program has grown substantially since its inception, I changed the name to Stascom Utility Suite. For simplicity, I shall refer to the
program as Stascom throughout this document.

SUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEMS

Stascom should run on any version of Windows, XP or later, but the supported operating systems are Windows 7 and Windows 10. The entries related to Windows
settings and applications, control+Windows+F8, have not been tested on OS's earlier than Windows 7. Consequently, it is possible that not all of the entries
in this dialogue will work if used on operating systems other than Windows 7 or 10.

A note to users of previous versions

Users who have been using older versions of Stascom should please take note of the following changes which were implemented in version 2017.1.7.

list of 7 items
1. In older versions the minimum allowed master volume output was 20 percent. Based on user needs this setting now is customisable between 5 and 50 percent.
It was necessitated by persons with a hearing impairment using audio induction systems, as well as those needing amplification from their PC or laptop
output. Other users who do not have a hearing impairment occasionally use earphones. In these scenarios, the previous minimum output level of 20 percent
was too high.
2. An opportunity to specify a minimum master volume level is given towards the end of the installation process. This value can be changed after installation
in the sound recovery section via the configuration window.
3. A further consequence of the changed approach regarding minimum volume is that previously defined volume levels, such as recovery volume and day / night
volume levels, will have to be re-configured after installing version 2017.1.7.
4. I have changed the interface of the configuration window. Based on user feedback the new approach is less cluttered and easier to navigate. The main
screen has five radio buttons, referring to the four automated functions and the general settings section. In addition, there are two buttons below these
controls, i.e. "activate" and "close." The "activate" button is the default in this window, so after arrowing to the desired radio button, pressing enter
will open the corresponding settings. After pressing the "apply" button in any of the resulting windows will return focus to the main configuration screen
from where a different section can be opened. Pressing the "close" button from the main window will collapse the configuration window and return to the
system.
5. The functionality of the desktop shortcut now is twofold. If the program is not active, it will launch it. If already active, the shortcut will bring
up the program menu, similar to pressing control+Windows+M.
6. The hot key for adding a window title exception has been removed. This key combo posed a challenge for users of laptop keyboards. The functionality
to add a window title exception has been moved to the configuration window. The relevant button is found under the auto maximising section.
7. An option for the user to choose between a desktop or laptop keyboard layout is currently being considered. This option might become available in a
future release.
list end

A QUICK NOTE ON USING BUTTON CONTROLS IN STASCOM DIALOGUES

Extensive use is made of button controls throughout the Stascom windows. Some of these buttons are defined as the default for their specific dialogues.
This means that the button will be activated when pressing the enter key. Some dialogues have more than one button though. Since only one button can be
defined as the default in any given dialogue, those not defined as defaults need to be activated by pressing the spacebar. This is consistent with Windows
standards.

INSTALLING THE PROGRAM
list of 16 items
• Depending on the local security policy on the user's system, Windows 7 and 10 may report that the origin of the file, "Stascom_setup.exe," is unknown.
This is normal, since Stascom does not have a publish certificate from Microsoft. Simply instruct it to continue.
Users might be greeted with silence from their screen readers as another message from Windows is presented. Pressing tab or shift+tab will echo the following
message from Windows:
Windows protected your PC
Windows SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting.
Running this app might put your PC at risk.
More info
Don’t run
Enter on more info and then on run anyway. Stascom has extensively been tested on various systems, so the user may continue with confidence at this point.
• Setup will determine if an existing installation of Stascom is found on the system and present the available options accordingly. If the latest version
is already installed, setup will offer to re-install the same version, or alternatively, remove the existing installation. In this scenario, the program
information, installation agreement and user account control information screens will be skipped.
• Should an older copy of Stascom be detected, setup will offer to upgrade the existing installation, or alternatively, remove the older version. In this
case the program information and installation agreement screens will be shown, since new features may be available which the user is not yet aware of
• Should no installation be found, setup will only offer an installation option. Pressing the "continue" button will proceed to the next step, while "exit
setup" will terminate the installer without making any changes. Once again, the program information, agreement and user account control information screens
will be displayed.
• Stascom supports multiple users saving their individual configuration settings on one system. By default, these settings are saved under the name of
the currently logged-on username.
• By default, the name of the logged-on user is also used to personalise some status messages spoken by Stascom, for example, the greeting when a volume
change is applied.
• An option to enter a user preferred name is presented during a new installation. The name entered here will be honoured in messages spoken, as well as
in the summary report.
• An installation agreement is presented for new and upgrade installations in a read-only edit field, addressing the caveats pertaining to, amongst others,
distribution of the program, the SAPI5 voice used for speech output, etc. The agreement can be navigated line-by-line as with any edit field. Should the
user not select the I agree option in this window, presented as radio buttons just below the read-only edit field, setup will exit without performing any
further actions.
• The next step during installation will automatically be run as Administrator, to successfully create the required folders and install the Stascom modules.
NVDA users, please note, if your user account control level is set to lower than 67 percent, the user account control prompt will not be reported by NVDA.
Alt+y should be pressed to allow the installation to continue. If an Administrator password is linked to the Admin account, this password should be entered
prior to instructing Windows to continue with the installation.
• The first step following the above procedure will be for the user to select an installed SAPI5 voice to be used for speech output in Stascom, such as
status messages and time announcements. This window is a custom Stascom design which provides a user-friendly interface. A list of installed voices is
presented, as well as controls to change speech rate and volume level values. By design, the minimum volume level allowed  for the SAPI5 voice is 50 percent,
as to prevent loss of speech output. Prior to saving the desired settings, the user may listen to a preview of the selections made by activating the preview
voice button. Pressing the save voice settings button will save the selections made and proceed to the next step in the installation process. Please note
that these SAPI5 voice settings can be changed at any time after installation, by using the corresponding option in the
configuration window,
covered later in this document.
• Should the user select a SAPI5 voice which is not properly installed, or if the trial period for such a voice has expired, setup will inform the user
of same, returning focus to the Stascom setup interface from where a different voice can be selected.
• In the next step during installation the SAPI5 voice selected in the previous window will be used to report each of the installation steps, such as creation
of the required folders, installing the modules, creating shortcuts in the start up folder and on the desktop, etc.
• An informational message will display the status of the four automated functions in the program, providing the instruction on how to change these settings
after installation. If the user has changed any of these settings in a previous installation of Stascom, the installer will retain such settings.
• The last step of the installation procedure allows the user to specify his / her preferred minimum volume output. The value specified here will determine
at which volume level sound recovery will be made, a feature discussed later in this document. The minimum volume level will also be honoured by the hot
key to decrease master volume, control+Windows+DownArrow. The allowed range of volume levels are between 5 and 50 percent, with 5 percent increments. A
preview button allows the user to hear an example of the chosen volume level spoken. It is worth mentioning that this preview should be regarded as an
approximate indication of the selected volume level. Using a different synthesiser than your previously selected SAPI5 voice might be softer or louder
on this volume level. The save button will store the selected minimum volume output for future use. If the volume level in this window needs to be changed
after installation, it can be done via the configuration window under the sound recovery section.
• The final stage of the setup procedure will thank the user for installing Stascom, confirming the version number of the installed copy. The key assignment
for the menu hot key is provided. The option to open this user guide will be presented. Regardless of whether the yes or no option is selected at this
point, Stascom will automatically be started, confirmed by the SAPI5 voice which will report the message: Stascom Utility Suite is active.
• Since this user guide is in HTML format, it will be opened in your default browser. Depending on other software installed on your system, on some configurations,
focus might not automatically be placed in the browser window after activating the "yes" button referred to above. Should you experience this behaviour,
simply press alt+tab to move to the browser window.
list end

AUTOMATIC PROGRAM UPDATE FEATURE
list of 7 items
• Every time Stascom is launched at log on, the program will do a background check for an update. This procedure will only be performed if an Internet
connection is available on the user's system at the time.
• Both the check for an update and downloading of the setup file is done via a secured connection, i.e. https;
• If an update was found, the user will be informed of same, with a window displaying information about what's new in the offered update. The user will
have the opportunity to accept the update, or, alternatively, dismiss this window by choosing the no button.
• When accepted, the download process will be done in the background, freeing the user to continue working. Once the download is complete, an audio notification
will be heard, with a message window from where the update process will be initialized after pressing the OK button.
• The feature to automatically check for program updates can be disabled in the configuration window under the general settings button. It is recommended
that this option is left on its default setting to benefit from the most up-to-date features of the package.
• Please note that an option to manually check for updates is available under option 12 in the menu hot key, control+Windows+M.
• When running Stascom in an environment where firewall restrictions are imposed, such as on a corporate network, the program may not be able to automatically
retrieve updates. In such an event the user may wish to download the latest installer directly from my web site.
Download the latest Stascom Utility Suite installer (opens in a new browser window)
list end

REMOVING STASCOM AND ITS ASSOCIATED CONFIGURATION
list of 4 items
• The setup program, Setup_Stascom.exe, can also be used to remove the program and its associated configuration settings.
• A removal option will only be available if an existing installation is detected.
• If this option is activated, the user will be asked for confirmation, after which the removal procedure will be performed.
• Once done, no trace of Stascom will remain on the system.
list end

TEMPORARILY UNLOADING THE PROGRAM FROM MEMORY
list of 6 items
• The hot key, control+Windows+F4 will temporarily unload Stascom from memory. This should hardly ever be necessary, but was added for convenience should
the need arise.
• The above-mentioned hot key will ask for confirmation from the user, with a "yes" and "no" button as choices.
• If the "no" button is activated, focus will be returned to the system with Stascom still running.
• If the "yes" button is activated, the program and its associated modules will be unloaded from memory. A SAPI5 message will speak the message: "Good
bye user", where user is the personal name specified during installation, or via the configuration window, under general settings.
• The desktop shortcut can be used to re-launch the program. Alternatively, when logging off and on, or after re-booting the system, Stascom will once
again be active.
• Activating the desktop shortcut while Stascom is running will bring up the program menu, the same menu which is presented when pressing control+Windows+M.
list end

GETTING A SUMMARY OF YOUR SETTINGS
list of 4 items
• Control+Windows+F2 will present the user with a summary of the program settings chosen in the configuration window, as well as other system specific
information.
• This report is displayed as a read-only text file in your default application associated with plain text files, in most cases this will be Notepad.
• Use standard navigation keys to navigate this file.
• The following information will be reflected in this report:
list end
list of 11 items
• Date and time on which the report was generated;
• Stascom version number;
• Operating system version and OS version
• Recorded personal name and Windows profile name of currently logged-on user;
• Selected SAPI5 voice and its corresponding rate and volume parameters, as well as last Stascom message spoken by SAPI5;
• Enable / disable status of the automatic check for program updates at start-up;
• Enable / disable status of the hot keys for inserting accented and other special characters;
• Enable / disable status of the automatic maximising of application windows, as well as a list of window title exceptions, if previously defined;
• Enable / disable status of sound recovery feature, as well as info on last recorded action in this regard;
• Enable / disable status of automated day / night volume adjustment, as well as volume levels and time of day / night chosen by the user. The last recorded
day / night volume adjustment will also be displayed;
• Enable / disable status of time announcements. If enabled, a list of the hours, on the half hour and on the quarter hour chosen by the user for which
time announcements should be heard;
list end
list of 1 items
• To close the report, press alt+F4.
list end

THE MENU HOT KEY

The hotkey, control+Windows+m, will present the user with a numbered list consisting of linked functions to the individual hot keys of the program, as
well as five miscellaneous functions. The letter m used in this combination can be thought of as m for menu. This keystroke was added for convenience,
should the user not wish to memorise the individual hotkeys. Please note that a full list of hot keys is available in the
hot key reference
 at the end of this user guide.

The order of the list of hot keys in the above-mentioned dialogue honour the order of the corresponding function key combinations used with control+Windows.
The order of these options is as follows:

list of 13 items
1. Control+Windows+F1: - Open user guide.
2. Control+Windows+F2: - Generate summary report.
3. Control+Windows+F3: - Open configuration options window.
4. Control+Windows+F4: - Unload Stascom from memory for the current session.
5. Control+Windows+F5: - Audio mixer information.
6. Control+Windows+F6: - Password Generator.
7. Control+Windows+F7: - Word count.
8. Control+Windows+F8: - Windows settings and applications.
9. Version information.
10. Reset program settings to installation defaults.
11. Contact the program developer via e-mail.
12. Manually check for program updates;
13. visit the developer's home page.
list end

Please note that first digit navigation is supported in the menu hot key. For example, pressing the digit 5 will move focus to the entry for audio mixer
information. Press enter to activate the entry with focus. Pressing the digit 1 will cycle between option 1, 10, 11 and 12. To dismiss the dialogue, press
the cancel button or alt+c, or simply press the escape key.

DOWNLOADING THE SETUP PROGRAM

As mentioned above, Stascom is self-maintaining in terms of future updates. Should the user wish to download the installer for backup purposes, the latest
build will be available from my secured web site.

Open my home page here, opens in a new browser window

CONTACTING THE PROGRAM DEVELOPER

Feel free to
contact me
 with feedback. Future updates to the program will be considered, depending on user requests and my availability midst of other projects. Kindly consult
this user guide before asking support questions. An option to send me an e-mail is also available under option 11 in the menu hot key, control+Windows+m.

UTILITY DESCRIPTION AND CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
OVERVIEW OF UTILITIES
list of 2 items
• The automated functions in Stascom do not have hot keys, their routines are performed automatically in the background. All these functions have customization
options though, as discussed later in this document.
• The on-demand functions can all be activated with individual hot keys, or, alternatively, by activating the corresponding option from the menu hot key,
discussed under "general program operation."
list end

What follows are descriptions of the automated functions in Stascom, what to expect from their behaviour, as well as how to tailor their settings to your
own preferences.

SOUND RECOVERY

The purpose of the Sound Recovery feature is to recover audio output under the following circumstances:

list of 4 items
1. Master volume becomes muted, at which point the utility will automatically unmute the default audio device.
2. Volume level of the master output on the default audio device drops below the user defined minimum level, in which case it will automatically be set
to the pre-defined recovery volume output, see the section on
customisation
 for more detail.
3. When Stascom corrects sound output, whether it's by unmuting your default audio device or  recovering the master volume output, a SAPI5 message will
report the event. This message will be accompanied by the default Windows exclamation sound. The message itself will report the name of the event, i.e.
whether Stascom recovered mute or low volume, the name of your default audio device on which the recovery was made, and lastly, the time the recovery was
made.
4. It is important to note that if the day / night volume adjustment on a schedule is enabled, sound recovery will only be made from the minimum output
level to the recovery volume if the system time is earlier than the defined night-time. The reasoning behind this is to cater for a night-volume lower
than a "general use" volume.
list end

Let's put sound recovery to the test

To test the recovery automation, from the Windows run dialogue (Windows+R), enter "sndvol" without the quotes and press enter. This will bring up the mixer
dialogue where output levels for your audio device can be adjusted, as well as muting of the master volume and other applications running on your system
at the time. Feel free to either lower the master volume below your defined minimum volume, or muting the master volume. Stascom will immediately, provided
that the sound recovery feature is on its default setting of enabled, unmute the master output, or increase the volume to the pre-defined recovery volume
level, in the event that it has been dropped below the minimum volume. As mentioned in the point above, the event will be reported via a SAPI5 message.
It will also be reflected in the summary report, generated with control+Windows+F2.

Configuration options for sound recovery
list of 5 items
• Press Control+Windows+F3 for the configuration window.
• The first radio button provides options for Sound Recovery. When activated, the resulting window presents the first set of controls is radio buttons
to either enable or disable this feature. The default setting is enabled. Should the user change this option to disabled, an alert message will be displayed,
recommending to leave the option enabled.
• A "change minimum allowed volume level" button, when activated, enables the user to change the minimum volume output before sound recovery is triggered.
It is worth mentioning that the preview option in this window should be regarded as an approximate indication of the selected volume level. Using a different
synthesiser than your previously selected SAPI5 voice might be softer or louder on this volume level. The value set here will also apply to the hot key
to decrease volume, control+Windows+DownArrow.
• A list box where the preferred recovery volume can be set, options are between 5 and 100 percent, with 5 percent increments. The default recovery volume
after installation is 60 percent.
• Should the recovery level be set to a value equal to or less than the user defined minimum volume, Stascom will alert the user to the fact with a message
box. Adjust the recovery volume level to a setting higher than the minimum volume. Alternatively, lower the minimum allowed volume level if it suits your
needs.
list end

Sound recovery disclaimer

It should be noted that the sound module in Stascom cannot recover audio output if

list of 3 items
• your audio hardware is faulty;
• drivers used with your audio device are not up to date;
• the audio drivers are not compatible with the operating system you are using. These points are covered under the installation agreement section presented
during setup.
list end

AUTOMATED DAY / NIGHT VOLUME ADJUSTMENT
list of 5 items
• If enabled, this feature will automatically lower the master volume of your system to the pre-defined output level at the specified time of night, see
the section on customisation for more detail.
• Should the system be used again after this time with a higher volume setting, it will check again at midnight to see if the night-time volume is set
for the night, provided that the relevant radio button for midnight is checked in the configuration dialogue.
• The following morning it will be reset at the specified day-time to the output level selected by the user.
• Making use of this feature will prevent the user from being disturbed should your system produce speech output during the night when an activity is triggered
by an application running on your system, such as Windows update or a scheduled radio recording. Scheduled recordings will not be influenced at all.
• By default, a "good morning" or "good night" message, using the user's specified name, will announce day or night volume levels being activated. This
can be disabled in the configuration window, if so desired.
list end

Changing options for day / night volume adjustment
list of 8 items
• Press Control+Windows+F3 for the configuration dialogue.
• The second radio button, when activated, provides options for the automated day / night volume adjustment. The first set of controls is radio buttons
which provide options to enable or disable this feature. The default setting when installing the program is disabled. However, if the user has enabled
this feature in an existing installation, the previously defined setting will be honoured during installation.
• A list box where the preferred night volume can be specified, starting at 5 percent up to 50 percent, with 5 percent increments. The default setting
after installation is 20 percent.
• A time control where the preferred night time can be specified. The control caters for hour, minutes and seconds. Use left and right arrows to move between
these three fields. When, for example, on minutes, the preferred minutes can also be typed in, rather than using arrows to find the desired setting. The
default setting after installation for night time is 21:30:00.
• A set of radio buttons to specify, if volume has been adjusted after the specified night time, if the program should set it to the desired night volume
at midnight.
• A list box where the preferred daytime volume can be specified, ranging between 5 and 100 percent, with 5 percent increments. The default output level
after installation is 50 percent.
• A time control where the preferred day time can be specified. The control caters for hour, minutes and seconds. Use left and right arrows to move between
these three fields. When, for example, on minutes, the preferred minutes can also be typed in, rather than using arrows to find the desired setting. The
default setting after installation for day time is 06:59:00, to coincide with the default first time announcement of the day at 7 o'clock.
• A set of radio buttons where SAPI5 announcements can be enabled or disabled for when day / night volume adjustments are activated. The default setting
is "enabled."
list end

AUTOMATED MAXIMISING OF APPLICATION WINDOWS
list of 5 items
• The automated maximizing feature in Stascom will maximise every window that gets focus, without prior customisation required.
• The exception to this rule will be those window titles specified by the user to be excluded from being maximised. This latter scenario occasionally is
necessary for an application, or specific window, providing more accurate feedback from a screen reader when in a restored state. Recording such an exception
can be done via the configuration window, opened with control+Windows+F3. Go to the automatic maximise section and choose the button referring to specifying
a window title exception. This step needs to be done when the title of interest has focus. The user will be informed of what the current window title is,
and asked for confirmation to store this title as an exception for future reference. Such an exception will be honoured in all future sessions.
• It is important to note that a window title added as an exception will only apply to a window title with an exact match. For example, should an exception
be added for a document opened in Microsoft Word, the exception will only be applicable to that specific document window. Should the user open a different
document in Microsoft Word for which an exception is required, such a title needs to be added to the list of existing exceptions, making use of the procedure
described above.
• Should the user at any point decide to clear the exceptions list, this can be done via the configuration window, under the automated maximising options.
This button will remove all previously specified exception titles.
• A list of previously defined window title exceptions will be shown in the summary report, just below the status for automatic maximising.
list end

AUTOMATIC TIME ANNOUNCEMENTS
list of 3 items
• If enabled during or after installation, chime and audio announcements are, by default, given on the hour, on the half hour and on the quarter hour from
7 o'clock in the morning until 9 o'clock in the evening.
• These default settings can be changed via the configuration dialogue, in other words, the user can be very specific about which hours of the day or night
an hour chime should sound, or, in fact, if it should be disabled altogether. The latter scenario is especially handy should the system be used in an environment
where the announcements are not desirable, such as on a laptop used in a meeting room.
• Please also note that the user can be specific about whether announcements should be made only on the hour or for on the half hour and on the quarter
hour as well. It is important to note though that if the "on the hour" option is disabled, the "on the half hour" and "on the quarter hour" options will
also be disabled.
list end
list of 3 items
• The default setting will play a short chime, followed by the time announced by the selected SAPI5 voice selected by the user.
• The second level will play the short chime, without speech output.
• The third level will disable this feature.
list end
list of 3 items
• Please note that the last toggle of enabling or disabling this feature will remain in effect, also after a re-boot of the system.
• I purposely decided on the subtle sound of the three chimes used in Stascom. The idea is not to disturb those around you, but merely to give the user
a time announcement, if indeed so desired.
• The installation default chime sounds are, on the hour, three short tones, on the half hour, two short tones, and, on the quarter hour, a single short
tone. However, based on user requests, the latest version of Stascom gives options for specifying user defined chime sounds individually for on the hour,
on the half hour and on the quarter hour. mp3 and wav file formats are supported.
list end

Changing time announcement options
list of 6 items
• Press Control+Windows+F3 for the configuration dialogue.
• Time announcements is the fourth radio button in this window, when activated, consisting of the options to make this feature fit your needs.
• The three available levels for on the hour, on the half and on the quarter hour can be customised as per the description discussed above.
• As mentioned above, it is important to note that if the hour chime setting, in the first set of radio buttons, is disabled, it automatically disables
the "on the half and on the quarter hour" announcements. It follows that the "on the half and on the quarter hour" announcements, if enabled, will correspond
to the active hours of the day and night specified in the set of radio buttons discussed below.
• Three buttons via which the user can specify the chime sounds that should be used for on the hour, on the half and on the quarter hour chime sounds.
• When activating the "active hours" button below these controls, it presents a set of radio buttons for all 24 hours, allowing the user to specify which
hours of the day and / or night time should be active or silent. The default active hours are between 7 in the morning and 9 in the evening. The user may
change these time slots to honour his / her individual schedule.
list end

This concludes the section on automated functions. Please continue reading to learn about on demand utilities in Stascom and how they can enhance your
daily computer operation.

AUDIO RELATED HOT KEYS
list of 2 items
• Control+Windows+F5 will provide the master volume output level and the name of the default playback device.
• Three buttons appear below this information, as follows:
list end
list of 3 items
• open audio mixer settings,
• Recording device info
• a cancel button to dismiss the window.
list end
list of 3 items
• If a microphone is not detected, or the default recording device is not configured, the program will return a dialogue, conveying the appropriate message.
If you believe this not to be the case, use the open audio mixer settings referred to above, move to the recording device tab control to configure the
recording device, making sure that a default device is selected. If your workstation is a desktop, make sure that a microphone is plugged in. It is assumed
that in the case of a laptop, that an internal microphone is enabled and in a working state.
• Control+Windows+UpArrow will increase master volume by 5% with each keystroke. Ascending tones will be heard to indicate the volume levels as it is increased.
A SAPI5 message will inform the user when the maximum volume level of 100% is reached.
• Control+Windows+DownArrow will decrease the master volume by 5% with each keystroke. A descending tone will be heard to indicate the output level being
lowered. The user defined minimum volume level is allowed with this keystroke to avoid a situation where sound output cannot be heard. A SAPI5 message
informing the user of the volume level will be generated when the minimum volume output has been reached.
list end

PASSWORD GENERATOR DESCRIPTION
list of 5 items
• Some users may question the need for including this utility, especially since many password generating tools are available for download from the Internet.
• As someone who is serious about online security, I wanted to write a tool which I know would be independent from any online service.
• I also set it as a prerequisite that the passwords my utility generate should be unique to the system on which they are created.
• It is unfortunate that many people still use passwords which are easy to decipher, often consisting of a word or short phrase they can easily remember.
Such words or phrases can just as easily be cracked by hackers making it their business breaking into online accounts.
• Users who have used earlier versions of Stascom should note that I have totally re-written the password algorithm to meet the following expectations:
list end
list of 3 items
• The password character length will be ten characters to cater for sites and services not accepting a longer character length.
• The generated passwords will never be an exact match of any previously generated passwords when using this utility, or for that matter, by any other
system using this utility.
• Passwords will always be a combination of lower and upper case letters, digits and special characters.
list end
list of 2 items
• Effort has been made to cater for the rules of most online services, but should Stascom generate a string which is not accepted because of a specific
special character, simply generate another password to exclude the character which was not accepted. The likelihood of this happening will be rare though.
• After refining my password module, I have tested the passwords it generates on various online sites to test its strength. In all cases these passwords
were defined as "very strong."
list end

Generating a password
list of 5 items
• When pressing control+Windows+F6, the generated password will be displayed towards the top of the window.
• Right below this is a button to generate a new password, activated with alt+g. This button has focus when the window opens. This means that the user
can repeatedly press spacebar, or enter, to generate a new password.
• below this control is a button to copy the current password to Windows clipboard and dismiss the window.
• A cancel button to close the window without copying the password.
• Please note that, like with all dialogues found in Stascom windows, the buttons have an alt combination for quick access. These shortcut keys will be
reported by your screen reader while navigating over them and can be used in future to quickly navigate through dialogues or activate controls.
list end

Important note on password generator

For security reasons, the generated password is not stored in a file on your system. After generating a password, it will merely remain on the Windows
clipboard, provided that the user has activated the button described above, until the contents of the clipboard is replaced by different text or a file
or files. If not copied to the clipboard with above mentioned button, the password exists merely in memory until the dialogue is closed. It therefore is
recommended that the user should immediately save this password in a secured database program directly after generating it. Two such tools are

KeePass (opens in a new browser window)

and

PasswordSafe (opens in a new browser window

WORD COUNT
list of 2 items
• After selecting text in an editor e.g. Word or Notepad, or an application rendering virtual buffer output, such as browsers, control+Windows+F7 will
report the word count for the selected text. The word count result will be displayed in a message box, which can be dismissed by pressing the OK button.
In addition, the result will be placed on the clipboard, which can be pasted in another editor or spread sheet application.
• If no text was selected, this function will return a message stating as much.
list end

WINDOWS SETTINGS AND APPLICATIONS
list of 8 items
• Control+Windows+F8 presents the user with a dialogue from where basic and advanced Windows settings and applications can be activated.
• The entries are presented in an alphabetical list view.
• First letter navigation is supported.
• The entry which the user last activated will be honoured the next time this dialogue is opened, also between sessions. For example, if the user previously
used the add / remove programs entry in this list, the next time the dialogue is opened, focus will be placed on the add / remove programs entry. Either
use up or down arrows to move to a different setting, or press the first letter of the desired entry to change focus to activate a different entry.
• The  aim with this module is not to present the user with anything more than what already is available in Windows. Instead, it is merely an easy to navigate
interface and a quick way to move to an option when using first letter navigation.
• Once the desired option is activated by pressing enter, control is given back to Windows, from where the user needs to navigate and manipulate controls
and settings as per the usual.
• To activate a command, simply press enter, which will activate the item with focus. Tab over to the cancel button and press enter if you do not wish
to use any of the listed entries, or, alternatively, press escape.
• Some of the more advanced entries listed in this section could be risky to use if the end user is not knowledgeable about the commands listed here. For
this reason, an alert message is presented the first time this dialogue is accessed.
list end

CONFIGURATION OPTIONS OUTSIDE THE SCOPE OF AUTOMATED FUNCTIONS

It was made clear under the section about automated functions that all these modules have configuration settings which  ensure user control over when,
how or if they should be performed. The automated function settings are contained in the first four radio buttons i.e. Sound Recovery, Day / night volume
adjustment, Automatic maximising and Time Announcement. A fifth radio button exists, called general settings, pertaining to those features outside the
scope of automated functions. The entries currently presented when activating this radio button are discussed below. As more features are added to Stascom,
the available options in this section will be expanded.

Select preferred SAPI5 voice and speech parameters

During installation, the user has the opportunity to select a preferred SAPI5 voice, speech rate and volume level. Since we tend to change our minds after
making an initial choice, the option to modify these is necessary. When pressing this button, the user will access the familiar dialogue we saw during
installation, i.e. a list of installed voices, preferred speech rate and volume adjustment. A button to preview the voice, and, finally a button to save
the voice settings for future use. It should be noted that the voice chosen here is based on the index number for the specific voice as returned by Windows.
Should the globally used SAPI5 voice be changed or SAPI5 voices be installed or removed by the user, this index reference will change. This effectively
means that Stascom will channel its messages through a different voice. It is recommended that in this scenario the user manually unload Stascom, make
changes to the Windows voices and then re-load Stascom by activating the desktop shortcut. If not, it is possible that Stascom will encounter an error
when attempting to speak via a previously selected SAPI5 voice. Also, after adding or removing a SAPI5 voice or changing the globally used SAPI voice,
it will be necessary to re-configure the preferred voice to be used with Stascom.

Enter preferred name to use for program messages and profile settings

Sounds familiar? Yes, we had the option to enter a preferred name during installation, rather than to be addressed by our Windows profile name. Once again,
we may have the need to change this name to something shorter, or perhaps a nick name. This button will first report what the currently recorded name is,
offering to change it by entering a new name. If no new name is entered, the previously defined name will be used.

Automatically check for updates when program starts

Earlier in this document I recommended leaving this feature enabled to benefit from new additions to Stascom as they are released. However, we may occasionally
find ourselves in a situation where Internet access is limited, or expensive, for example, when we are paying for access at a hotel. Even though the installer
for Stascom is fairly small, we would want the freedom to disable the automatic update feature when required. This is a standard set of radio buttons,
i.e. the one setting will enable this feature, the other will disable it.

Enabling / disabling hot keys for inserting accented and other special characters

This feature enables the user to easily insert accented and other special characters. While Stascom is active and the option pertaining to this feature
is enabled, press control+slash, within three seconds followed by the letter "h", to open the reference guide in your default browser.

READING EMOJI SYMBOLS

If the Stascom installer detects that NVDA is installed on the user's system, it will copy a dictionary file which will translate emoji symbols. Please
note that this dictionary file is specific to NVDA and will not be utilised by a different screen reader. During installation, the setup program will announce
a message via the selected SAPI5 voice that this dictionary file is copied, as said, only if NVDA is present on the system. A NVDA add-on, developed by
Erion and Jeff Rutkowski, to insert these symbols and special characters in an edit field is available for download from the following site:
download the Symbol Insertion NVDA add-on here (opens in a new browser window
Please consult the documentation accompanying this add-on for instructions on how to insert these symbols in your text.

HOT KEY REFERENCE
list of 11 items
• Control+Windows+m: presents the user with a dialogue consisting of a list of hot key funtions and four miscellaneous actions. Please note that this menu
will also be displayed when activating the "Stascom Utility Suite" shortcut from your desktop.
• Control+Windows+F1: Opens user guide
• Control+Windows+F2: Generates summary report
• Control+Windows+F3: Opens program configuration
• Control+Windows+F4: Unloads Stascom from memory for the current session
• Control+Windows+F5: Displays audio mixer information
• Control+Windows+F6: Password Generator
• Control+Windows+F7: Word count
• Control+Windows+F8: Windows settings and applications
• Control+Windows+UpArrow: increases master volume by 5% with each keystroke
• Control+Windows+DownArrow: decreases the master volume by 5% with each keystroke.
list end

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Hi,