Topics

Windows 10 development briefing: get ready for another enablement package, Server 2022 #wintendev

Hi all,

I’m still accepting nominations for candidates who will succeed me as forum owner/head list representative (see an earlier admin notice from me regarding qualifications and such). Nominations will close on January 31, 2021.

Onto the matter at hand:

It’s been three months since posting a Windows 10 development briefing, which was sent about 48 hours after Version 20H2 made its public debut. I did promise that I’ll send something as early as December 2020 once Windows 10 Version 21H1 is finalized, but determining if Version 21H1 is finalized wasn’t easy. But now that folks can guess as to what 21H1 will be like (based on the subject line), it makes it a bit easier to tell you what to expect in versions after 21H1.

Windows 10 development briefing for January 2021

Build: 19043.782 (21H1 candidate), 21296 (Cobalt)

Version 21H1:

  • Update type: according to analysis of a preview cumulative update, Version 21H1 will be build 19043. Yes, this means it’ll be another enablement package a.k.a. cumulative update style deployment just like 20H2. This is so that build 20200 series can be dedicated to Windows 10 X. As always, this info can change without notice.

General:

  • Codename: yes, cobalt is the codename for the version being tested by Insiders on development channel.
  • Windows 10 on ARM: it can now emulate 64-bit Intel processors for running x64 apps. This means you can run apps designed for four different processor families on Windows 10 on ARM: 32-bit and 64-bit x86, and 32-bit and 64-bit ARM.

Taskbar:

  • News and interests: you can now see latest news headlines and weather information directly from the Taskbar – you need to tab through desktop components (Taskbar, desktop, notification area, etc.) to visit News and Interests. This opens a web document similar to detailed search results in Start menu where you can use web navigation commands to move between elements. Note that you must be using Chromium Edge (which should be everyone by now).

Settings:

  • Storage Spaces: migrated from Control Panel (Storage Spaces allows you to treat two or more storage devices as a unified storage pool).

Other Windows 10 variants (including server):

  • Windows 10 X: Microsoft is putting finishing touches on this version. Places such as Windows Central point out that Windows 10 X would compete with Chrome OS. At the moment you can’t run classic desktop apps on Windows 10 X, so no screen reader can run on it yet. Things can change without notice.
  • Server: the successor to Windows Server 2019 (Version 1809 LTSC) will be Windows Server 2022 (possibly based on 21H2). This also means the next perpetual license version of Office will be Office 2022 (Office releases are tied to Windows 10 long-term support channel (LTSC) releases). Also, as of Server build 20285 (released today), Chromium Edge will be installed on server systems.

The next development briefing will be sent once Windows Insiders start receiving 21H1 on their systems. And, please send in your nominations as to who should succeed me as forum owner by end of this month.