Topics

How to configure network connection to use Ethernet instead of wifi?

William

Hi,

At the very begining of setting up my Win10, I have connected to my home wifi.

Later, I have connected my pc to Ethernet cable.

But now, even I have manually turn off the wifi button in setting, I can still see the wifi ssid in the system bar icon.

so, how can I make win 10 connect to Ethernet instead of wifi?

and how can i forget the wifi connection?

Thanks

Jeff Christiansen

Where you turned off WIFI, is the same place you can find the forget this connection.

At the very begining of setting up my Win10, I have connected to my home wifi.

Later, I have connected my pc to Ethernet cable.

But now, even I have manually turn off the wifi button in setting, I can still see the wifi ssid in the system bar icon.

so, how can I make win 10 connect to Ethernet instead of wifi?

and how can i forget the wifi connection?

Thanks

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Settings, Network & Internet, WiFi Pane, Manage known networks link.

In the dialog that opens you will be presented with a list of all WiFi networks you've ever connected to, and when you have focus on a given one in the list you will be presented with a Properties and a Forget button for that one.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

Hi,

Go in to control panelk, network.
You should see a list of networks if you click connect to a network.
You should be able to move to the network and right click to choose forget on your wifi connection.

Steven Hicks
Servicedesk 2 Team Leader
Tel: 01209 318620.
Mobile: 07393 792548.
At the very begining of setting up my Win10, I have connected to my home wifi.

Later, I have connected my pc to Ethernet cable.

But now, even I have manually turn off the wifi button in setting, I can still see the wifi ssid in the system bar icon.

so, how can I make win 10 connect to Ethernet instead of wifi?

and how can i forget the wifi connection?

Thanks

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

If your WiFi is turned off it's off, what you see is your Ethernet connection, I see this as well on all my work PC's, but I did the same thing, WiFi is turned off and of course if it's off then it's off and it obviously can't connect. I wouldn't bother doing anything else and I see little point in trying to forget the network and all that.

At the very begining of setting up my Win10, I have connected to my home wifi.

Later, I have connected my pc to Ethernet cable.

But now, even I have manually turn off the wifi button in setting, I can still see the wifi ssid in the system bar icon.

so, how can I make win 10 connect to Ethernet instead of wifi?

and how can i forget the wifi connection?

Thanks

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.

William

Well, do you mean when wifi if off, even if nvda read my wifi ssid in the system bar, it is still using Ethernet connection?

Sieghard Weitzel 於 22/1/2021 13:49 寫道:

[...]

Sorry, I cannot find a place where I can right click to display the forget button.

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io 於 21/1/2021 23:21 寫道:

[...]

Hi William

What version of Windows are you using?

I happen to be using a Home version of Windows Ten.
touch the WindowsKey, now type, Wi-Fi.
you should hear, wifi system settings, press enter.
focus lands on the wifi button, JAWS reports the status as on, on my machine.
I use the tab key twice to find, show available networks, press enter.
Focus should land on the connected network. in my case JAWS now announces, TinyHats Connected, secured , secured, signal 4 out of four bars.
Now use, Shift+F10, or the applications Key. JAWS probably says disconnect.
Use up or down arrowKeys to find the, forget, option, now press enter.
Use the, Shift+Tab, to find the WIFI button again and use space bar to deactivate WIFI, or do.
Use Alt+F4 to close the window and repeat step one, and use space bar to deactivate WIFI.
With the ethernet plugged in restart your machine.
HTH

At the very begining of setting up my Win10, I have connected to my home wifi.

Later, I have connected my pc to Ethernet cable.

But now, even I have manually turn off the wifi button in setting, I can still see the wifi ssid in the system bar icon.

so, how can I make win 10 connect to Ethernet instead of wifi?

and how can i forget the wifi connection?

Thanks

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

William

Oh, many thanks for yourstep-by-step instruction. I managed to do so, many thanks.

Jeff Christiansen 於 23/1/2021 19:05 寫道:

[...]

Jason White

My understanding is that Windows 10 will give priority to Ethernet even if both Ethernet and Wifi are connected.

On 23/1/21 9:27 am, William wrote:
[...]

enes sarıbaş

hi,

Your pc is connected to ethernet. It will always prefer ethernet. It just happens to recoggnize network name.

On 1/21/2021 7:15 AM, William wrote:
Hi,

At the very begining of setting up my Win10, I have connected to my home wifi.

Later, I have connected my pc to Ethernet cable.

But now, even I have manually turn off the wifi button in setting, I can still see the wifi ssid in the system bar icon.

so, how can I make win 10 connect to Ethernet instead of wifi?

and how can i forget the wifi connection?

Thanks

William

ok, thanks.

enes sarıbaş 於 25/1/2021 12:53 寫道: