Topics

removing a password on local account?

adam morris

Hi all,
I have the below instructions for removing a password for a local account.
I don't see the checkbox to uncheck use a password.
I just hear the user account, add and properties which doesn't give the info listed below.
Think they may have changed things in the latest version of 10.

Open Run command.
In the Run dialog box, type
Netplwiz
press Enter.
You will be prompted with the User Accounts dialog, select your user account first and then uncheck the option labelled Users must enter a user
name and password to use this computer at the top. Click Apply button to see Automatically sign in box.
On the "Automatically sign in box" confirm your credentials and then click OK. Restart the computer and check.
be absolutely certain that you have entered the correct password for the account in question.  If you want
to be really safe you could create a second local account before doing this so that you have a backup way to get into the system should you fatFinger
your password.
There is also a good article outlining this option and a registry hack (which I don't recommend) on tenforums entitled,
Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup.

You can totally remove the pin/password, which I really don't advise doing.

To do that, go to control panel, then users.

The better method, for security sake in my opinion is to keep the password, but just have it log you on automatically.

To do this, you can set it up through the auto logon dialog.  To get there, go to the run dialog with windows+R, then type in

control userpasswords2

Then hit enter.

This dialog should be quite self explanitory, but if you need help, let us know.  Be very very very careful when putting in your password here for the
system to log you on.  If you do this wrong, and you're the only user account on the system, you'll lock yourself out forever more unless you use hacking
tools to get yourself back in, but I won't go there for legality reasons.  The reason is, it'll be trying to put that mistyped password in, and rejecting
it, thereby not giving you a chance to do anything more.

I have a friend who had Windows 7, and he did this very thing, and oh! God, what a mess it was!  We got him back in, but if I told you how, I'd have to
kil ya.  LOL!

The point is, be careful.  As long as you are so though, you'll be just fine, and it'll do exactly what you need it to do.

--

Adam Morris
Email, iMessage & FaceTime

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Adam. I just ran netplwiz, and the check box is still there on my system, running JAWS 2021, latest update, and Microsoft Windows

Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685).

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Blaster

Adam, Since you already successfully got to the wizard, try doing this.
Keep pressing the TAB key until you get to the top of the wizard,
which are two tabs, it's right after the ok and cancel buttons. Your
probably on the first tab, the users tab. To check this, when your on
that tab press the RIGHT arrow key and you should be on the advanced
tab. Arrow left to go back to the users tab and if you press the TAB
key on your keyboard the very next thing is that checkbox. Or at
least that's where it's located on my screen.

HTH,
Blaster

On 1/9/21, Bill White <billwhite92701@dslextreme.com> wrote:
[...]

adam@damorris.com

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi again, Adam. Under Settings>Accounts>Sign in options, do you have Windows Hello turned on for either of the following: Face, Fingerprint, or PIN? if you do, this is the reason the check box for Users must use a password is not visible. It doesn't show up when Windows Hello is active.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

All of the windows hello features are unavailable.
I'm on the users tab and pressing tab only gives me the list of accounts, add, properties, ok and cancel.

On 10/01/2021 15:51, Bill White wrote:

[...]

Kevin Cussick

same here and using nvda windows10 home 64bit.

On 10/01/2021 03:41, Bill White wrote:
[...]
adam@damorris.com <mailto:adam@damorris.com>

Blaster

Could this be an option that only the Professional Windows 10 has and
the Home version doesn't?

Take care,
Blaster

On 1/10/21, Kevin Cussick via groups.io
<the.big.white.shepherd=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Jeff Christiansen

You should still be able to remove the password via settings, Home or Pro version
The netplwiz dialog has changed but still has the advanced tab.

[...]

Hi, no as I said I am using home.

On 11/01/2021 01:53, Blaster wrote:
[...]

Hamid Vasheghani Farahani

All win10 versions have this same feature. Knowing your password isn't
enough. Your user account must be an administrator to change the
password behaviour of your account.

On 1/13/21, Kevin Cussick via groups.io