Topics

How do I get out of the Cortana screen?

Sugar Lopez

                Hello everyone

I hope you are having a good Saturday.

I would like to close the cortana screen please?

When I alt and tab to get to the page I was on, I get a page that is telling me to sign in to use this cortana  and I don’t want to.

How can I close it?

Thanks

Alt f4 does not work.

"If we could look into each other's hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care."

-Marvin J. Ashton

🙏

I appreciate the second chance of life at:

-Sugar, ❤😘

Sugar Lopez

Hi

Thanks to Bill White for showing me how to stop the Cortana screen go away

Thanks again

It’s appreciated

Sugar

"If we could look into each other's hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care."

-Marvin J. Ashton

🙏

I appreciate the second chance of life at:

-Sugar, ❤😘

gbmagoo@...

Why don’t you tell us the solution, please

On Jan 9, 2021, at 13:40, Sugar Lopez <sugarsyl71@...> wrote:

Hi

Thanks to Bill White for showing me how to stop the Cortana screen go away

Thanks again

It’s appreciated

Sugar

"If we could look into each other's hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care."

-Marvin J. Ashton

🙏

I appreciate the second chance of life at:

-Sugar, ❤😘

Sugar Lopez

Auh, yes I will try.

I know someone out there will probably correct me. Smile

So if I missed something, I hope they do

Ok, I went to my settings by going to start key and I

Then go to to system and arrow to the right until you hear aps

You have to tab down until you get to the listings of programs

When you find Cortana, enter

Then you have to find terminate and space bar

In my case my cortana was checked to be in the back ground, so I unchecked that as well.

I think that was it

I apologize if I missed a step

But it was done over the phone

Smile

- - Winnie the Pooh

Please walk with me through a second chance of life:

-Sugar, ❤😘

Why don’t you tell us the solution, please

On Jan 9, 2021, at 13:40, Sugar Lopez <sugarsyl71@...> wrote:

Hi

Thanks to Bill White for showing me how to stop the Cortana screen go away

Thanks again

It’s appreciated

Sugar

"If we could look into each other's hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care."

-Marvin J. Ashton

🙏

I appreciate the second chance of life at:

-Sugar, ❤😘

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Before you can find the Terminate button in Cortana, you must TAB to Advanced Options, and press ENTER. Also, make sure Cortana's Background Apps setting is turned off, as well as Start Cortana at logon.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Why don’t you tell us the solution, please

On Jan 9, 2021, at 13:40, Sugar Lopez <sugarsyl71@...> wrote:

Hi

Thanks to Bill White for showing me how to stop the Cortana screen go away

Thanks again

It’s appreciated

Sugar

"If we could look into each other's hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care."

-Marvin J. Ashton

🙏

I appreciate the second chance of life at:

-Sugar, ❤😘

Adrian Spratt

Hi, Bill. I copied your earlier directions on how to quit Cortana. Here, you add to make sure that Cortana's Background Apps setting is turned off. I can’t find that option. Is it hidden if it’s already turned off?

[...]

Hi, Adrian. No, it's not hidden. It's right after the Microphone setting under advanced options. If it's off it will just say off instead of on.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Auh, of course. Thank you for that reminder Mr. Bill!

Sugar

[...]

On my system, after microphone comes “Runs at log-in.”

My OS is Win10-2004.

[...]

Hi, Adrian. Here's what Advanced Options under Cortana says for me:

App permissions
Microphone Button‑
Off
To activate press spacebar.
Background apps Button‑
Off
To activate press spacebar.
Runs at log-in
Cortana Button‑
Off
To activate press spacebar.

The only thing I can think of is that under Settings>Privacy>Background Apps, maybe you have "let apps run in background" turned off altogether, rather than turning selected apps off individually.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Hi again, Adrian. I just checked, and what I suspected is true. If, under Settings>Privacy>Background Apps, if you have Let Apps Run In The Background turned off altogether, rather than choosing which apps can run in the background, the setting for Cortana under Settings>Apps>Cortana>Advanced Options>Background apps Button is completely removed. That's why you don't see it.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Thank you, Bill. I just checked, and you’re right, that’s my “Background apps” setting.

[...]

Hi, Adrian. If you wanted to test your result, you could activate the "Let Apps Run In The Background" setting temporarily, go to the Cortana settings, and you would be able to see the Background Apps button there, until you turned off Background Apps under Privacy again.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

No need to test. It makes complete sense. But it raises another question: Do you think there’s a good reason to allow background apps to run? I’m unaware of missing anything that would affect my daily usage.

[...]

Hi, Adrian. I know of nothing crucial that you would miss by not having any apps run in the background. But, if you want to be notified of activity in a number of apps, the following apps will give you notifications if something changes, when they run in the background,

Alarms & Clock

Mail and Calendar

Microsoft News

Office

People

Skype

Twitter

Weather

Windows Security

Windows Security in particular, could be an important app from which to get a notification if something changes.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Bill,

Ever helpful, ever reliable. Thank you.

[...]

Ashleigh Piccinino

Where would all those settings be? I’m also having trouble exiting the application of Cortana even though I press alt F4 but does no good. Therefore, I just don’t use it unless I need to/restart my computer immediately afterward to get out of there.

[...]

Cortana is a floating window, therefore you can’t simply let go of her by pressing Alt+F4. You must tell her to go by going to either:

  1. Task Manager, then Details tab and looking for cortana.exe and ending it.
  2. Settings (Windows+I)/Apps/Apps and features, select Cortana from the list of apps, go to Advanced options and choose Terminate.

This applies to Cortana second generation (Version 2004), which some of you should have encountered in one way or another by now.

[...]

Go to your settings by pressing the start key and the letter I

Under systems enter, arrow to the right until you hear aps

[...]

Hi, Ashleigh.

To Terminate Cortana

1. Open Windows Settings with Windows key plus I.

2. TAB to the list of Settings categories.

3. Right Arrow to Apps, and press ENTER.

4. TAB about nine times to the list of apps.

5. Arrow down to Cortana, and press ENTER.

6. TAB to Advanced Options, and press ENTER.

7. TAB to the Terminate button, and press ENTER.

8. Close Settings.

That's it. Cortana's window won't appear again until the next time you use the app.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...