Topics

Recent documents in Word 2016

Ricky Lomey

Hi

For the first time since I started using Windows 10 in November 2017, I
can't hear the list of recent documents in Word 2016 or not sure if it's not
displayed so is there some sort of list view I need to select or how can I
fix it thanks?

Ricky Lomey

The only thing I can initially suggest is checking the settings in MS-Word related to Recent Documents to see if something somehow got changed.  In what follows, I'll let you know what's shown for the values in my Word 2016 instance:

1. Open Word Options, Advanced Pane - ALT+F, T, A
2. In the Advanced Pane, navigate to the Display Section, the first item of which is the count combo box for Show this number of Recent Documents.  Mine is set to 25.  This is the only thing that I can see in mine that's actually set.
3. Immediately after that is a checkbox, which is unchecked, for Quickly access this number of Recent Documents, which has a value of 4 as its default were it to be checked.
4. Next, and last when it comes to Recents, is the entry for Show this number of unpinned recent folders, which has a value of 50 on my instance of Word.  This is not a checkbox.  It's just like the entry for the number of recent documents in that the only thing that you can interact with and change is that combo box for the actual number.  Both allow you to select and overtype to change the value, or use the up/down control to increase/decrease whatever the current value is.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Ricky Lomey

Thanks Brian, the situation is still as before in that, I forgot to say that it seems the recent documents are still displayed as normal though I don't have a sighted person to check and I checked the check box and those I've randomly tried all open etc fine but the problem could actually be when I use my arrows, they don't speak the names of the documents any more, not sure if it might have anything to do with accidentally opening One Drive or something to do with an account as yesterday I signed up for the Microsoft store updates in Edge and also checked out the RSS fetcher, so not sure if it changed the layout to vertical, as Explorer does though Edge and Chrome never did this before and I restarted the desktop twice, this fixes the problem in Explorer though maybe I'll wait to see if it repairs itself as it does after a while with Explorer?

Ricky

[...]

Journalism 101: If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the f**king window and find out which is true.

~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

All I can suggest if it doesn't fix itself is to try an MS-Office Repair Install.

Have a look at the results from:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Office+2016+Repair+Install
as I cannot know which tutorial (and in my case the one from Microsoft itself comes up first) is the one that any given user might prefer.  I have to plow through the top results myself when I have to do something like this to see which one makes the most sense to me at the moment.  It's generally all in the way the writer chooses to present things as the core steps are very similar or exactly the same.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)