Topics

Why does my shutdown menu always have an option to "update and restart?"

Richard B. McDonald

Running the troubleshooter now results in a pending update to 20H2; which I will soon install.  Hopefully, that’ll fix it!

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 10:59 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] Why does my shutdown menu always have an option to "update and restart?"

It does sound like there is some sort of update pending or has failed, there may be a retry button there on one of the updates.

Steven Hicks

Servicedesk 2 Team Leader

Tel:  01209 318620.

Mobile:  07393 792548.

EMail:  Steven.Hicks@...

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: 12 January 2021 19:43
Subject: Re: [win10] Why does my shutdown menu always have an option to "update and restart?"

Hi, Richard. What happens if you go to Windows Settings (Windows key plus I, and go to Check for Updates? Do you get the chance to update your Windows OS? Does it actually update?

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard B. McDonald
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 11:13 AM

I have tried both “restart” and “update and restart” many times to no avail.  I have not tried a different screen reader since the problem seems a Windows not a screen reader thing.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2021 1:54 PM

Hi,

Does restarting your computer help? What about switching between screen readers?

Cheers,

Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Powers
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2021 1:47 PM

Brian,

I recently tried updating from 1909 to build 20h2 but had the same problem that I did last summer when trying to update to 2004 – couldn’t access start menu or Action Center, and likely other issues I had not yet found. I’m kind of leery about trying again to update to 20h2 but won’t know if I have this same experience unless I do the update but wonder if there is anything after the update that could fix this problem once and for all? the update itself that I recently tried went smoothly, no problems detected, but something in that update has caused the above problem. Is there anything I can do with the update process to keep the start menu & Action Centers functioning?

Thanks,

BP

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) <steven.hicks@...>

It does sound like there is some sort of update pending or has failed, there may be a retry button there on one of the updates.

Steven Hicks

Servicedesk 2 Team Leader

Tel:  01209 318620.

Mobile:  07393 792548.

EMail:  Steven.Hicks@...

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: 12 January 2021 19:43

Hi, Richard. What happens if you go to Windows Settings (Windows key plus I, and go to Check for Updates? Do you get the chance to update your Windows OS? Does it actually update?

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard B. McDonald

I have tried both “restart” and “update and restart” many times to no avail.  I have not tried a different screen reader since the problem seems a Windows not a screen reader thing.

Hi,

Does restarting your computer help? What about switching between screen readers?

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian,

I recently tried updating from 1909 to build 20h2 but had the same problem that I did last summer when trying to update to 2004 – couldn’t access start menu or Action Center, and likely other issues I had not yet found. I’m kind of leery about trying again to update to 20h2 but won’t know if I have this same experience unless I do the update but wonder if there is anything after the update that could fix this problem once and for all? the update itself that I recently tried went smoothly, no problems detected, but something in that update has caused the above problem. Is there anything I can do with the update process to keep the start menu & Action Centers functioning?

Thanks,

BP

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

tim

Have you tried the troubleshooter for fixing windows update in the control panel?

On 1/12/2021 2:12 PM, Richard B. McDonald wrote:
*From:* win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Joseph Lee
*Sent:* Monday, January 11, 2021 1:54 PM
*To:* win10@win10.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [win10] Why does my shutdown menu always have an option to "update and restart?"
Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph
*From:* win10@win10.groups.io <mailto:win10@win10.groups.io> <win10@win10.groups.io <mailto:win10@win10.groups.io>> *On Behalf Of *Bill Powers
*Sent:* Monday, January 11, 2021 1:47 PM
*To:* win10@win10.groups.io <mailto:win10@win10.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [win10] Why does my shutdown menu always have an option to "update and restart?"
Brian,
Thanks,
BP

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 02:12 PM, Richard B. McDonald wrote:
I have tried both “restart” and “update and restart” many times to no avail.
-
Which clearly indicates that something is broken in the Windows Update process.  Again, your best and easiest solution is:  Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

Get the 20H2 ISO and do one.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

Journalism 101:  If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the f**king window and find out which is true.

~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian,

Thanks,

BP

Richard B. McDonald

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian,

Thanks,

BP

Bill,

Feature updates can and do occasionally "burp" and result in peculiar behavior.  I've had a couple of those myself, and almost invariably, if I do a repair install afterward it fixes things.  If it doesn't, I then restore from my backup and try applying the update using these instructions, not the Download and Install link in Windows Update, after a couple of weeks have passed and using a freshly downloaded ISO file:  Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

Notice that doing a Feature Update versus a Repair Install is exactly the same as far as the steps you follow.  The only difference is a Feature Update means you're using an ISO file for a Version that's newer than what's currently running  while a Repair Install uses a fresh copy of the ISO file for the same Version that's already running.
--

Journalism 101:  If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the f**king window and find out which is true.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian,

Thanks,

BP

g melconian

Maybe you have updates that have not yet been installed, that  has  happened when I have done a shut down in the past.what will hhappen tap on update and shut down. The updates will first install then  the PC will shut down.   

Bill Powers

Brian,

Thanks,

BP

I will add that if my machine were still on 1909, I would have no hesitation to do a feature update to 20H2.

Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file
--

Hi,

To check if an update is pending, go to Settings (Windows+I)/Update and Security/Windows Update. It is likely that an update might be pending, which can be a driver update, a firmware update, a missing cumulative update, or in some cases, a feature update. If you are indeed offered either a cumulative update or a feature update, do take them.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard B. McDonald
Sent: Sunday, January 3, 2021 12:33 PM
Subject: [win10] Why does my shutdown menu always have an option to "update and restart?"

Hi!

I am on Windows 10 version 1909 build 18363.  For some time now, my shutdown menu always shows “update and restart.”  Although I have selected that option many, many times it still always has that option.  Why?  How can I complete an update operation so as to clear that option from the shutdown menu?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

I am on Windows 10 version 1909 build 18363.  For some time now, my shutdown menu always shows “update and restart.”  Although I have selected that option many, many times it still always has that option.  Why?  How can I complete an update operation so as to clear that option from the shutdown menu?

Thanks,

Richard