Topics

2020 to 2021: history continues #admingreetings

Hello Win10 Forum family,

As I write this, many of you are celebrating first moments of 2021. For people celebrating it, happy New Year.

In many ways, 2020 was a historic year. Along with the usual two feature updates (one major, one minor), we witnessed forum membership growth (we are just above 700 members, but that won’t last long; see below as to why). Most importantly, we are still going through a once in a century pandemic. We still have to go through difficulties, but hope is on your way thanks to rapid developments in vaccines. Still, it isn’t time to go out and celebrate – what worries the most is a COVID-19 variant that can spread more rapidly. For this reason, I must ask you to wear masks in public, wash hands, follow social (and physical) distancing rules, and follow guidelines from local health authorities.

In regards to Win10 Forum and 2021, I hope it can still be an influential venue for discussing Windows 10 usage with screen readers. As more people move to Windows 10 from older operating systems, and as more people join us, I hope members can serve as helpful and trustworthy guides for new people. Most importantly, build trust so not only you can teach new people about the ecosystem, but also give new people a chance to teach the next group of subscribers and point them to helpful resources. Whereas we focused more on content in 2020, I hope we can focus on both content and trust in the coming year – content should not be the only reason for popularity and influence, but trust helps build and sustain our credibility, both inside this forum cluster and outside (in other words, we have excellent credibility thanks to content; now let’s enhance our credibility through interpersonal trust as well).

A bit about membership count: last time I checked, we still have several members whose email addresses are bouncing. Sometime in January (likely around January 12th), I will be sending a final bounce probe to these addresses, along with asking affected members to respond to probes by February Update Tuesday (February 9th). Email addresses that are still bouncing by February will be removed (this applies to both the parent forum and Insiders subgroup). Also, a separate email will be sent to Insiders subgroup to find out how many members of that subgroup are actually using Insider builds (dev, beta, release preview), and folks who are no longer using Insider builds or bouncing addresses will be removed no later than a week after the next feature update (Version 21H1) shows up on release preview channel (March at the earliest).

Please stay safe and healthy.

inamuddin khan

How do I make sure that my email is not bouncing?

If my email is bouncing, then how do I stop this?

Charlsdarwin1

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Your email address is not bouncing at the moment. If it is, you should have received a notification from Groups.IO about it.

[...]

enes sarıbaş

Hello Joseph,

I would ask that you allow people who don't use insider previews but  want to monitor developments in such builds and the windows ecosystem to stay on the list.

On 12/31/2020 7:03 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

I can consider that as a possibility, but given that Insiders subgroup is strictly for WIP participants and the overall purpose is discussion of WIP build accessibility and usability, it might not be a high priority request. Besides, WIP information is public knowledge and there are websites such as Neowin that track latest development roadmap, and folks can read WIP subgroup archive which is public (I will never make these archives private).