Topics

An emergency request from your head list representative: please pause posting activities until bouncing situation is significantly resolved #AdminNotice #groupsio

Hello Win10 forum family,

A copy of this notice will be sent to members whose addresses are flagged as bouncing (including my own which was flagged a few minutes ago but resolved):

It appears the effects of yesterday’s Google services failure is more widespread than originally thought. Despite unbouncing their addresses, there are at least two cases where Gmail addresses are flagged as bouncing again. The effect is that affected members won’t be able to respond to your posts via email – the only way to find out is reading the web archive and responding through the web interface, but even then, members must unbounce through the web interface to access certain parts of the web interface.

Therefore, I’m taking an extraordinary step as your forum head list representative (admin/owner) to request that all posting activities pause for a while (at least several hours) so bouncing members can have time to unbounce their addresses and to lessen forum traffic. This request takes effect immediately and is binding on this forum and the Insiders subgroup, and may last for several hours, or worse, until this weekend. During this time, please:

  1. Do NOT send test messages, as it increases the chance of addresses bouncing.
  2. If you do get a bounce probe from Groups.IO, please respond by clicking the link provided as soon as possible. You may get multiple bounce probes, and I will try my best to limit this to once a day or two.
  3. If you are subscribed to multiple Groups.IO forums, you may get probes multiple times. Don’t worry about it, as owners of individual forums will be responsible for sending probes to members of their forums.
  4. Groups.IO staff are aware of Gmail bouncing issue and are keeping a close eye on its effects. I myself am keeping a close eye on this development and will try my best to send updates to this forum.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I would also like to add that bouncing means that a given e-mail address cannot RECEIVE messages from the Groups.io service.  You may, or may not, be able to send messages from the very same address that do reach the group.

What this means is that sending test messages really serves no purpose.  If you are currently in bounce status, you will not see your test message nor any of the responses to same so long as you remain in bounce status.  If you receive any message at all from the group after you've responded to a bounce probe, you're not in bounce status, and there's no point in sending a test message anyway.  Long and short:  Please don't send test messages.

As Joseph has noted, the Google Outage is wider than originally thought, and has been cycling between fixed and not fixed for large groups of Gmail users.  On another group where I am moderator I have watched hundreds of automated bounce probes be generated after someone successfully unbounced themselves because theirs is one of the accounts that "went down again."  If you're getting repeated bounce probes, and you've responded to previous ones, that means your account is cycling between fixed and not fixed, and the minute Groups.io tries to send the next message to you, and it comes back to the service, you're classed as bounced again.  It's beyond the control of Groups.io.

For those who want to know more about the bounce process, have a look at the following page from the Groups.io Owner's Manual:
https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/additional-information/groups-io-bounce-handling

Pay particular attention to the final sentence:  ! Important: Group owners and moderators cannot do anything to “unbounce” members’ accounts. Members must address the underlying problem themselves.

The user addressing the problem means just respond to the bounce probes you receive following the instructions in said probe messages.  This whole Google Outage is turning into an ugly merry-go-round.  Unfortunately, these things happen, but blessedly pretty rarely.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Hi all,

A copy will be sent to addresses flagged as bouncing later today:

It appears Gmail is slowly returning to normal. This does not mean the admin request on pausing posting activities is going away. After monitoring a follow-upp bounce probe activity (later today), I'll lift the admin request (hopefully by midnight Pacific). Even then, one thing I must ask you: please DO NOT SEND TEST MESSAGES AFTER UNBOUNCED in order to help other Groups.IO forums by conserving precious network traffic.

Thank you for your cooperation.

David W Wood \(G3YXX\)

Is the reason really the overload of storage space, or some broach of Goodles industry standard security?

ATB

David W Wood