Topics

Notice from head list representative: dozens of Gmail users are bouncing #AdminNotice #groupsio

Hello everyone,

I’m briefly resuming admin duties for a day to help investigate Gmail bouncing issue.

For the last day or so, members of several Groups.IO forums reported that they are not getting emails from groups. The likely cause is failed Google services, which Google is investigating and things are coming back to life. In case of Win10 forum, over 200 addresses are bouncing, and I will be sending bounce probes and a direct email asking them to write to the owner address if they are not getting any emails from this forum and Insiders subgroup.

Relevant news article:

Google suffers global outage with Gmail, YouTube and majority of services affected | Google | The Guardian

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

Just a note that my address was one of those bouncing, however once logging into Groups.io, I was presented with the option to debounce myself. Let's hope things can get back to normal.

Thanks.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 8:29 AM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I’m briefly resuming admin duties for a day to help investigate Gmail bouncing issue.

For the last day or so, members of several Groups.IO forums reported that they are not getting emails from groups. The likely cause is failed Google services, which Google is investigating and things are coming back to life. In case of Win10 forum, over 200 addresses are bouncing, and I will be sending bounce probes and a direct email asking them to write to the owner address if they are not getting any emails from this forum and Insiders subgroup.

Relevant news article:

Google suffers global outage with Gmail, YouTube and majority of services affected | Google | The Guardian

Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

And as a third note, and not just specific to this, if and when Groups.io sends you a message indicating your address is bouncing for the Groups.io service, there should be a link contained in that very message to un-bounce yourself.  All you need to do is activate that link.

Although this situation is unusual in terms of the scale, e-mail addresses go into "bounce mode" for a huge variety of reasons, and it happens with great regularity if you have a group with a large number of members, to a small number among them at any one moment in time.

Just activate the un-bounce link and all will be well.  Also, if you want more details, see this page from the Groups.io Owner's Manual:  https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/additional-information/groups-io-bounce-handling
Note well the final sentence:  ! Important: Group owners and moderators cannot do anything to “unbounce” members’ accounts. Members must address the underlying problem themselves.

If you don't respond to a bounce probe, then there is nothing that group administrators can do to unbounce you.  It all depends on you.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  It was the same with my address.  Almost back to normal now.  Cheers!

On 16/12/2020 12:44 am, Nimer Jaber wrote:
[...]

Ibrahim Abubakar

I also received such message and log in to the site and accepted the term

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020, 19:25 Jaffar Sidek, <jaffar.sidek10@...> wrote:

[...]

g melconian

They do once you unbounce yourself from groups.io.