Topics

locked Brand of PC - Any ones more compatible with screen readers than others?

William

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is suitable to be discussed here, do let me know if this break the group rule.

As my ram issue with Dell computer, I lost all my trust in Dell computer.

Dell has no understanding about screen reader and suggested that the ram issue is not related to them.

However, I have tried all means that friends have suggested, and seemed that the issue is not properly fixed.

If Dell cannot offer further assistance, no refund can be offered, the only option is to pass this newly bought pc to my sister and I bought a new one.

I do not have much income, buying that Dell pc is already a big amount for me.

I would like to know, next time when I bought a pc, which brand of pc manufacturer that I can trust it, which it can go well with NVDA.

Thanks,

William

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

William,

            You have already been told that this could have happened with any given brand, and has happened with others in the past.  There is no "magic bullet" for avoiding driver bugs (among a long list of potential problems).  They occur at times for all manufacturers, of both computers and the component parts the drivers are written to control.

             This is really not specific to Windows 10 in any way, or even Window itself in any way.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

William

Oh Brian.

Not really, I have not been told that this will happen on every brand.

Hum, then it is like a lucky draw every time we buy a computer?

Brian Vogel 於 10/12/2020 11:32 寫道:

William,

            You have already been told that this could have happened with any given brand, and has happened with others in the past.  There is no "magic bullet" for avoiding driver bugs (among a long list of potential problems).  They occur at times for all manufacturers, of both computers and the component parts the drivers are written to control.

             This is really not specific to Windows 10 in any way, or even Window itself in any way.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

I have been using Dell desktop computers for many years and I now have two
and I have never had this or any other driver issue with them, I used Window
Eyes and now JAWS and NVDA. . You should have returned the computer, must
have been some hardware issue that caused the problem.

[...]

           Note and note well, I said "can happen" not "will happen."  What has occurred for you is an exceedingly rare occurrence.  I know that I, and several others, said to you upon its appearance that the machine should have been promptly returned, but it's almost certain that time window is closed now.  What you have had occurring is not typical, nor should it be considered "normal."

            When any computer exhibits the kind of problems yours has, almost immediately after being set up, they should be returned.  Lemons, as cars that are problematic from new are often called, exist in every other product line, too.  You virtually never get a good fix on a lemon.

             It's entirely possible, I'd actually say probable, that there are many screen reader users who have your exact Dell model and use it without incident.  If what happened to you, or anyone with a similar issue, were commonplace there would be a lot more information, and legitimate complaining about the situation, out there.  The odd isolated, or very limited, incident is just that.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Hamit Campos

Wait is yours still seezing up? Mine too but meh since Dell seems to be kind of finiky I didn't return it. I perhaps should of. But to be honest the PC is fine well enough besides that too many programs open and kiss JAWS bie bie issue. But however I've now seen but wouldn't be able to tell why it happens it's more a JAWS thing than an XPS thing. I know this now because I can boot up Narator and re boot JAWS and then all is good in the world. Lol. Bill I guess sadly sye Brian is right. It is a lucky draw now. Especially with these guys lowering the standards. Dell has officially killed the XPS. Standards wize I mean. This 1 I got is not what I know an XPS to be. So to rap it up do you have any friends like Brian? Or someone like Rick Harmon? Because from 2025 onwards I'm asking a friend to build me one. Or hell maybe I'll get it from Sweet Water. As they build PCs and they build them with DAW use in mind. But yeah wanted to share my JAWS observation with you all. All though the PC did lock up 2 days ago. Someone mentioned getting rid of Macaffy. Did you try that Bill? I did but can't make it go away.

I am not sure if this is suitable to be discussed here, do let me know if this break the group rule.

As my ram issue with Dell computer, I lost all my trust in Dell computer.

Dell has no understanding about screen reader and suggested that the ram issue is not related to them.

However, I have tried all means that friends have suggested, and seemed that the issue is not properly fixed.

If Dell cannot offer further assistance, no refund can be offered, the only option is to pass this newly bought pc to my sister and I bought a new one.

I do not have much income, buying that Dell pc is already a big amount for me.

I would like to know, next time when I bought a pc, which brand of pc
manufacturer that I can trust it, which it can go well with NVDA.

Thanks,

William

Hamit Campos

Ahahaahahhaha funny Brian. Yep totally forgot the lemon reference.Boy Dell was having some strange luck at the time weren’t they. Ahaha. Bill got a lemon in what ever line yours is Bill I forget now but I do remember it’s a work station though. As for me I got an XPS lemon. Lol. So that’s 2 1 in each line.

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 10:55 AM, Hamit Campos wrote:
Yep totally forgot the lemon reference.
-
If something is truly a design flaw (hardware) or bug (software - but a design flaw in software) then it will have the same effect on almost everyone or at the very least on a broad swath of users of that hardware or software.

If you, any you, have an issue with a given make and model that no one else you know is having or has had, that's an isolated incident due to some idiosyncratic flaw.  And if that flaw is not from something that's reasonably obvious and amenable to fixing, and requires try after try after try to no avail, you have a lemon.

Computers are, compared to a great many things, quite reliably consistent, even if that consistency is a consistent flaw.  When you have a real "odd machine out," and for whatever reason, look at the machine itself.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 10:50 AM, Hamit Campos wrote:
Someone mentioned getting rid of Macaffy. Did you try that Bill? I did but can't make it go away.
-
This is an aside, but it is an important one.  The trend even since before Windows 10 is toward many third-party security suites causing unexpected issues.  At this point, I neither know why nor care to, first because it's something the software maker would have to fix, and second because Windows Security has been a top tier product almost since its introduction in the form used under Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

I only recommend Windows Security these days because it has never, at least yet in my personal experience, had any unintended consequences (and I don't count the occasional false positive from any product as an unintended consequence).  When something is "set it and forget it," and highly ranked by third-party testing organizations that settles the choice for me.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Hope Williamson

In my experience I've had no problem with HP desktops. I can't say I know much about their laptops, because I've never used one. I had a Dell laptop that worked for 5 years until it died last year.

On 12/10/2020 7:50 AM, Hamit Campos wrote:
[...]

Ah I have an HP laptop. It's fan stresses out too easily.but that's another topic as that's a hardware and bad design issue. It worked well enough when it did. Won't use it as much of an HP comment as it's a $300 meh laptop. I too had a Dell and that thing was epic.

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Alienware is also quite good as well. It is a more expensive model, expect to pay about $2000 for a quite good computer.

On 10 Dec 2020, at 12:51, Hope Williamson wrote:

[...]

Ryan Mann

I have a Lenovo Idea [ad that I purchased a little while before Corona started.  For the most part, I made a good choice.  I say for the most part because when I first got the computer, I needed to have a sighted person go into the BIOS and turn off auto hot key support.  Otherwise, I would have had to hold down the FN key every time I wanted to use a function key.  For example, Alt F4 would have been Alt, FN F4.  Now that that that setting is turned off, I am able to use the laptop with no problem.

I am not sure if this is suitable to be discussed here, do let me know if this break the group rule.

As my ram issue with Dell computer, I lost all my trust in Dell computer.

Dell has no understanding about screen reader and suggested that the ram issue is not related to them.

However, I have tried all means that friends have suggested, and seemed that the issue is not properly fixed.

If Dell cannot offer further assistance, no refund can be offered, the only option is to pass this newly bought pc to my sister and I bought a new one.

I do not have much income, buying that Dell pc is already a big amount for me.

I would like to know, next time when I bought a pc, which brand of pc
manufacturer that I can trust it, which it can go well with NVDA.

Thanks,

William

Jerry Hogan

Why you did not purchase  a keyboard with a dongle or connect a keyboard with a USB end? This will work very well with out the function  key.

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 05:35 PM, Jerry Hogan wrote:
Why you did not purchase  a keyboard with a dongle or connect a keyboard with a USB end? This will work very well with out the function  key.
-
When function key control is UEFI/BIOS driven, it will not matter whether you are using the built-in or an external keyboard under most circumstances.  It's at the firmware level where how these behave is determined.  They will be treated equivalently whether from the built-in or an external keyboard.

I've had to tweak my HP computers because the function keys are initially mapped as media, display, and volume control keys.  And the only way to do that is to disable the feature in UEFI/BIOS.

Some makers do allow this to be handled by a utility within Windows.  Depending on the exact make/model, some of the Lenovo family of computers have this.  From Lenovo Support:

You may want to disable the hotkey functionality of the function keys (F1, F2, and so on) in Windows 8.1/10, to avoid having to press Fn to use the function. The methods differ by models: (help me to find my product name/serial number).

Note:
For some models like Yoga 900s or Yoga 910, hotkey settings have been removed from the BIOS configuration. Use Lenovo Settings to configure.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Hope Williamson

I'd never buy a PC for less than $500-$600. I'm not rich either, not like I get the chance to get one every year, or something like that. They just tend to last longer. Also, it might help to elevate the laptop a bit, this will cause better air flow.

On 12/10/2020 12:59 PM, Hamit Campos wrote:
[...]

For those who need good, solid PCs, and laptops in particular, on a budget, look at manufacturer refurbished business class units.  All computers are in short supply, relatively speaking, right now, but there is still a steady stream of business class machines that come off lease over time.

They are built to be more durable than the low-end consumer class machines are.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Mike Capelle <mcap@...>

I am running a Lenovo, it was $599.00, 8 gb, core I 5 tenth gen processor, 1 tb drive.

[...]

Luckly Lenovo did not do this, so my keys worked as should.

[...]

I have had no issues with my Lenovo idea centre, it is rock solid.