Topics

December 2020 cumulative update: KB4592438/build 19041(2).685 #KBAlert

Hi all,

I’m briefly resuming admin duties for a day to help monitor cumulative update comments (I’ll return to my vacation home tomorrow).

IMPORTANT: this is the last regular cumulative update announcement for Version 2004 (build 19041) on this forum. The next cumulative update announcement for May 2020 Update will be sent a year from now when it goes out of support for both consumers and businesses, with future KB alerts focusing on 20H2 (build 19042). As far as update content is concerned, 2004 and 20H2 share system files. Also, this is the last cumulative update for 2020.

December 2020 cumulative update is now available:

December 8, 2020—KB4592438 (OS Builds 19041.685 and 19042.685) (microsoft.com)

Changelog:

• Updates to improve security when using Microsoft Edge Legacy.

• Updates to improve security when using Microsoft Office products.

Details:

Version 2004 (build 19041.685):

• Addresses a security vulnerability by preventing applications that run as a SYSTEM account from printing to "FILE:" ports. To address this issue in the future, make sure your applications or services run as a specific user or service account.

• Security updates to Microsoft Edge Legacy, the Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Media, Windows Fundamentals, and Windows Virtualization.

Version 20H2 (build 19042.685): same as Version 2004.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Joseph. I see that this update does not contain the fix for the Windows repair problem. I wonder what happened to the fix for the repair issue that was supposed to be released with this update.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

This cumulative update mainly focuses on security. The repair issue is supposedly fixed with build 19042.662 (it was fixed in revision 631 but was included as part of last optional update).