Does powering down, then cutting AC power, have a negative impact on a PC?

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 07:37 PM, Hamit Campos wrote:
I couldn’t get your email to email you directly.
-
There should be a "Reply to Sender" link at the bottom of each message you get from Groups.io.  Activating it, in any email or webmail client except Thunderbird (at the moment), should cause a new message addressed to the original sender to be opened with the subject being, "Private," followed by the topic title.  You can, of course, alter this.

If you are using Thunderbird, there is a workaround, which is bringing up the context menu when you have focus on the Reply to Sender link, using Copy email address, then manually opening a new message and pasting it into the to field and filling in the Subject.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Hamit Campos

Okay thanks Brian for all your help. Again sorry for the mystery but just wanted to be safe. Don’t know if I should go into why this is all happening on list. But again thanks for your answers. Again sorry I’m not being 100% clear but I couldn’t get your email to email you directly.

One should never do an "ungraceful shutdown" by just cutting power, or by holding in the power button on a computer, unless there is no other option.  There are seldom issues from doing this, but when there are problems, they tend to be huge ones.

One should always use the graceful shutdown method(s) provided by the operating system in question.  In the case of Windows 10 there are a number of these, including the shutdown command.

I have a shortcut on my desktop for an immediate and "without questions" shutdown, which I seldom use, where the target in the shortcut is:
C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /f /t 0

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

One should never do an "ungraceful shutdown" by just cutting power, or by holding in the power button on a computer, unless there is no other option.  There are seldom issues from doing this, but when there are problems, they tend to be huge ones.

One should always use the graceful shutdown method(s) provided by the operating system in question.  In the case of Windows 10 there are a number of these, including the shutdown command.

I have a shortcut on my desktop for an immediate and "without questions" shutdown, which I seldom use, where the target in the shortcut is:
C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /f /t 0

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Hamit Campos

Ah thanks. Now the whole shutting off the PC with out going into the menus and doing it in air quotes the right way. Does that hurt anything? Again sorry I’m kind of being vegue but the why is the off list part. Meaning the why all this is happening and why I ask.

Short answer:  No, or certainly not enough of a negative impact to be worth considering.

Powering down a machine and cutting it's input power nightly should not cause any damage.  There is the potential to stress hard disk drives a bit more since they will have to spin up from the stopped state more frequently, but that certainly isn't something I'd even be worrying about in making this decision.  Solid state drives have no moving parts, so they should be entirely unaffected, not unlike RAM.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

I don't build PCs, for the record.

Short answer:  No, or certainly not enough of a negative impact to be worth considering.

Powering down a machine and cutting it's input power nightly should not cause any damage.  There is the potential to stress hard disk drives a bit more since they will have to spin up from the stopped state more frequently, but that certainly isn't something I'd even be worrying about in making this decision.  Solid state drives have no moving parts, so they should be entirely unaffected, not unlike RAM.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Hamit Campos

Brian if you want to take this please contact me off list. Or any one else that may. But basically the not private part isjust does it hurt the PC or Windows now to unplug the PC every night? How do SSDs do with you cutting power every night? What the private thing is the background as to why this is happening.