Topics

Home Machines And Network Setup

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

Hi friends,

I Wonder if someone can help with some general advice please?

I Have my main laptop here and I have a Surface Pro set up on my home wireless as well.

I Would like to be able to rdp from my main laptop to the surface Pro for testing etc.

At the moment, I can’t even ping the Surface pro.

My main laptop is running Microsoft Windows 10 Home.

The Surface Pro is running Microsoft Windows 10 Professional.

Is it something that I need to do on the network e.g. set up the firewall or something to allow one machine to connect to the other?

Steven Hicks

Servicedesk 2 Team Leader

Tel:  01209 318620.

Mobile:  07393 792548.

EMail:  Steven.Hicks@...

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

You need to make sure that both computers are not only on the same WiFi network, but also that each designates that network as Private.

Settings, Network & Internet, WiFi Pane, then activate the button that is your network name.  In the dialog that comes up, under the Network Profile section make sure that the radio button for Private is selected on each machine.  That automatically configures the firewall such that the two machines can see each other (they're discoverable) when connected to that network.

If Public is chosen the machine will do its best to wall itself off from all other machines on that network.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Jason White

In my experience, firewalls generally don’t block the packets used by ping, so if you can’t ping one machine from the other, you probably have network issues. Are you sure you’re using the correct IP addresses? Does your router supply local DNS resolution for the devices on the internal network?

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io>
Date: Thursday, November 26, 2020 at 09:32
To: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io>
Subject: [win10] Home Machines And Network Setup

Hi friends,

I Wonder if someone can help with some general advice please?

I Have my main laptop here and I have a Surface Pro set up on my home wireless as well.

I Would like to be able to rdp from my main laptop to the surface Pro for testing etc.

At the moment, I can’t even ping the Surface pro.

My main laptop is running Microsoft Windows 10 Home.

The Surface Pro is running Microsoft Windows 10 Professional.

Is it something that I need to do on the network e.g. set up the firewall or something to allow one machine to connect to the other?

Steven Hicks

Servicedesk 2 Team Leader

Tel:  01209 318620.

Mobile:  07393 792548.

EMail:  Steven.Hicks@...

Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

Thanks so much brian, that is really helpful.

That may explain why the streeming from my t.v. tuner doesn’t work.

Steven Hicks

Servicedesk 2 Team Leader

Tel:  01209 318620.

Mobile:  07393 792548.

You need to make sure that both computers are not only on the same WiFi network, but also that each designates that network as Private.

Settings, Network & Internet, WiFi Pane, then activate the button that is your network name.  In the dialog that comes up, under the Network Profile section make sure that the radio button for Private is selected on each machine.  That automatically configures the firewall such that the two machines can see each other (they're discoverable) when connected to that network.

If Public is chosen the machine will do its best to wall itself off from all other machines on that network.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

You are right on the money once more Brian, my network was set to publick.

Thanks so much again, check the other machine now.

Steven Hicks

Servicedesk 2 Team Leader

Tel:  01209 318620.

Mobile:  07393 792548.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 01:24 PM, Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) wrote:
You are right on the money once more Brian, my network was set to public
-
This particular issue is an, "If I had a nickel for every time someone was unable to see a device on a network, I'd be a millionaire multiple times over," ones.

I can't even count the number of times this has come up, and when Windows 10 was new I really had no idea where they were hiding what had, previously, been the settings for Home/Work/Public network assignment for a given network.  At least they eliminated the distinction between Home and Work, as both are private and the same firewall settings were used for either.

Sadly, neither the keyword private or public gets you anything of use in the Settings search function at the moment.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

By the way, unless something has changed very recently, the Network Profile for any newly created connection will be Public by default.  If you want the machine to be discoverable/visible on that network you need to change it to Private.

The only time I can recall being asked which I wanted is when setting up a Windows 10 machine "from scratch" and going through the step to connect to a WiFi network.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

Thanks Brian, I actually installed these two machines using an unattended nswer file, I joined the network afterwards.

Both machines are changed to private now but they still won’t ping each other, only thing I haven’t done yet is re-boot both of them which I will try in the morning now.

Thanks again for all your help.

Steven Hicks

Servicedesk 2 Team Leader

Tel:  01209 318620.

Mobile:  07393 792548.

By the way, unless something has changed very recently, the Network Profile for any newly created connection will be Public by default.  If you want the machine to be discoverable/visible on that network you need to change it to Private.

The only time I can recall being asked which I wanted is when setting up a Windows 10 machine "from scratch" and going through the step to connect to a WiFi network.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Steven,

             I cannot recall whether this is one of those changes that requires a restart to take effect or not, but do report back after you've restarted.

             By the way, I created a Feedback Hub suggestion:  Settings Search should return something when searching on "Public" or "Private"
Anyone who agrees that the appropriate network settings where switching the Network Profile should be returned should have a look and either upvote, comment, or both.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

Thanks Brian, I will report back, have a bit more setting up to do, I can’t believe it, I can’t be sure but I may have had the vpn running when I was trying to ping the other machine as well L

It was never going to work with the vpn running but also, the network location needed to be set.

Steven Hicks

Servicedesk 2 Team Leader

Tel:  01209 318620.

Mobile:  07393 792548.

             I cannot recall whether this is one of those changes that requires a restart to take effect or not, but do report back after you've restarted.

             By the way, I created a Feedback Hub suggestion:  Settings Search should return something when searching on "Public" or "Private"
Anyone who agrees that the appropriate network settings where switching the Network Profile should be returned should have a look and either upvote, comment, or both.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

Jason White

A good first test would be to make sure you can ping the router from both machines. It should have an address in the same subnet as both of them

             I cannot recall whether this is one of those changes that requires a restart to take effect or not, but do report back after you've restarted.

             By the way, I created a Feedback Hub suggestion:  Settings Search should return something when searching on "Public" or "Private"
Anyone who agrees that the appropriate network settings where switching the Network Profile should be returned should have a look and either upvote, comment, or both.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

Hi Brian,

Thanks again for all your help, it is now working, I can stream my usb t.v. tuner over the local wifi.

It is not actually working that good, buffering and stuff but I can work on that.

You can actually stream the t.v. over the internet as well so in theory, I cold access the t.v. on my laptop using my IPhone for example when I am away from the house, it will stream over the internet.

I Need to set up port forwarding so I use the ip address of my router and then port forward that to the local ip address of my laptop.

Not tried it yet but it would be an interesting thing to do.

Got to figure out how to set up port forwarding on my router.

Take care and stay safe all!

             I cannot recall whether this is one of those changes that requires a restart to take effect or not, but do report back after you've restarted.

             By the way, I created a Feedback Hub suggestion:  Settings Search should return something when searching on "Public" or "Private"
Anyone who agrees that the appropriate network settings where switching the Network Profile should be returned should have a look and either upvote, comment, or both.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Just remember, Steven, that when it comes to networking your maximum throughput is equal to whatever the slowest device in the chain has.

Unless you have anything slower than Wireless N somewhere in the bucket brigade that leads from your modem-router to your TV, the probability is that the issue lies with the speed of your actual internet service itself.  And no matter what they tell you your theoretical maximum speed is, you'll be getting less than that.  And if you happen to be using DSL, the further you're located from the nearest central office (network node) the slower, too.

These days, unless some really old technology is in use somewhere in the bucket brigade, I seldom see any difficulty with streaming.  Most buffering is either due to internet speed issues or something going wonky on the streaming service's side of the equation.

I can stream HD to my TV straight from my smartphone, and while there will occasionally be pixellation (particularly during the first few seconds to minute of the show) and buffering every once in a blue moon, generally it just works, and I don't have a flagship phone (it's a Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro, several years old) and a 1st generation Chromecast device as part of the mix.  I also only get 2 bar reception here at home, but do have 4G LTE speed.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

Thanks Brian, that makes sense as I installed using an unattended script.

Steven Hicks

Servicedesk 2 Team Leader

Tel:  01209 318620.

Mobile:  07393 792548.