From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of leonard morris
Sent: Monday, November 9, 2020 5:21 PM
To: win10 user group <win10@win10.groups.io>
Subject: [win10] windows 10 version

I have a refurbished laptop I bought in February 2020, it's a Dell Inspiron model 15-3573. I ran "winver" today and it said I was up to date. I am not getting the most current Windows 10 OS I see being reported on this list. Is this because my laptop is to old to support a higher Windows OS version?

Microsoft Windows

Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1139)

It is long past time that this question stop being asked, as it has been covered, again and again and again on this very group.  And it's been stated on all those occasions that Feature Update rollouts take months, in all cases.  See group Admin Notice, dated May 29, 2020, entitled: A "Public Service Announcement" Regarding Windows 10 Feature Updates & How They Work

The algorithm that decides whether a given system is "ready for the latest feature update" is insanely complicated, not public knowledge, and is known to change based on what Microsoft is learning from system telemetry from systems already updated.  That information has been known to reverse the "ready for the latest feature update" status on specific hardware to "not ready" when an unexpected problem exhibits itself in the field that was not found during testing, and these do happen.  It is not possible for Microsoft or any other major software maker to test for every possible hardware configuration that exists out "in the wild."

You get a feature update either when Microsoft deems your machine ready and you are presented with the Download or install link in the Windows Update Pane of Settings, or by forcing it otherwise.  No one can ever tell you, definitively, why your specific machine has not yet been deemed ready because the criteria can and does change as any Feature Update roll out proceeds.

Hamit put it much more succinctly, "Don't know how MS decides these things."  And unless you happen to be on the development team for Windows Update itself then you can't possibly know, either.

You get it when you get it, period.  At least if you wait for Microsoft to present it to you under Windows Update.

        ~ Madonna

Hello everyone,

Expect an admin notice in the next few minutes.

[...]

Hamit Campos

Yep that’s basically what I was trying to explain. Because it is strange an older machine is deemed ready. But just to be verry clear though if that person wanted to take the chance they could grab it from where you download windows correct? I remember Leo Laporte and Mary Joe saying this on an Windows Weekly episode. All though Mary Joe did recommend that 1 waits. Because if you weren’t offered it it’s because MS found things about your PC that didn’t meet what ever the requirements are for it to get in this case 20H2. I just still find it funny as hell a totally brand new 2020 Dell XPS 8940 didn’t get it but an Hp from either 2016 or 17 did. Lol!

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 07:00 PM, Hamit Campos wrote:
Because if you weren’t offered it it’s because MS found things about your PC that didn’t meet what ever the requirements are for it to get in this case 20H2. I just still find it funny as hell a totally brand new 2020 Dell XPS 8940 didn’t get it but an Hp from either 2016 or 17 did. Lol!
-
Not at all atypical, in any way.  Think about how unchanging, and well tested, the component parts involved in older hardware generally are just because they've been out there longer.  The more known and stable a given hardware configuration is, the more likely there's not much more to be known in most cases, and updates go out to it first.

Known quantities are beloved, and generally more trusted, when it comes to applying updates of any sort without unexpected issues.  They've been tested over time out the proverbial wazoo.  Really new stuff, not so much.

But with this I am going to lock this topic, as what needed to be answered has been and the Group Owner has directly requested that questions of this nature not be asked again.  And 5 years plus in to the Windows 10 era, none of this is new news in any way, shape, or form and all of it can be found with ease with a basic web search or archives search or both.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss