Topics

Help needed, frustrated about my new Win 10

William

Hi,

As my old pc has broken down all at a sudden, I bought a new Dell desktop computer with

8GB ram

Intel 10 generation core i5

250G SSD and 1TB HDD

I found that my new computer will always run out of ram

I simply open a few apps like one firefox, several folders and a notepad ++

and my NVDA will soon became very unresponsive

According to resource monitor the physical袃ram is around 9x and virtual ram is also 3xG

I have already manually increased the virtual ram, disabled possible performance hindering default apps, etc, but the problem seemed not fixed.

Only today I have already manually forced turn off the computer because of not responding nvda for 3 times or more, and this is only my third day of using this new pc.

I feel really frustrated , do any one can give me any useful advice?

thanks,

William

Gerald Levy

Not possible.  There is simply no way that opening the few apps you mentioned at the same time  could cause your new desktop to use up 8 gb of RAM.  Maybe you got stuck with a lemon.  With an SSD, your new desktop should be very fast and responsive.  With a modern 10th generation Intel processor, your processor speed is probably at least 3 GHz, plenty fast enough for basic computing tasks.  But even a 2 GHz processor should not cause the sluggish and unresponsive behavior you are describing.  Which version of Windows 10 are you running?  To find out, type "winver" into the run dialog (Windows key-R).  You should have Win 10 2004or maybe even 20H2, I suggest contacting Dell customer support or even returning the desktop and buying a different model, because something definitely isn't right.

Gerald

On 11/7/2020 8:44 AM, William Wong wrote:
[...]

Hamit Campos

Oh oh oh dear. Let me guess did you buy the new Dell XPS 8940? The Special addition? Because if so you and I are in the same boat Bill. Mine totally locks up and if I have a YouTube vid going bie bie vid. Now to add I don't know and it's really none of my business but is it possible we've filled the SSD? So I'll let you all know what I have it's up to Wiliam if he wants to. I have JAWS. NVDA Reaper a demo of SoundForge Pro which I shouldn't have waisted megabites on now seeing what Magix has turned Sound Forge into. But that's for a sound forge list. Let's see here ITunes, Google Chrome VLC Media Player then of course the downloads folder has some stuff I downloaded. Of course these are all things I added. The SSD of course already had Windows pluss all the software the PC came with weather 1 likes it or not we know Dell doesn't give you a clean install.Oh I almost forgot Pontis Media downloader. So yeah in any case let me know. But it feels like my old Vista Inspiron 530S had more on it and I don't recall it locking up. Sye Dell has officially killed the XPS in meaning of what an XPS is supposed to be.

[...]

that is why I feel strange, my new computer is more lagg then my old one.

My OS is  2004 (OS 19041.572)

Gerald Levy via groups.io 於 7/11/2020 22:09 寫道:

[...]

Oh not as yours, mine is Vostro 3681

Hamit Campos 於 7/11/2020 22:38 寫道:

[...]

Ah well mine doesn’t lag persay. Only when I have multiple things open and that’s for a few seconds then it just locks up. I wander if we’ve over loaded them because when mine started this the Downloads folder had 30 something files. But my old Inspieron from 2007 I think had more on it and yes though it lagged because it was now 2018 when it had a bunch of stuff so it was old as well I don’t recall it crashing. Yes again in the end the thing wouldn’t even load youtube but I don’t recall it crashing like this XPS. Well I don’t know what you bought but in my case it’s the $1400 XPS 8940 Special. There is a new Enspiron that also has an SSD. Meh I perhaps should’ve listened to my nephew Jonathan’s friend and built my own. It’s just I’ve always wanted an XPS. Especially in the glory days of the Studio XPS. Sye shame Dell shame.

that is why I feel strange, my new computer is more lagg then my old one.

My OS is  2004 (OS 19041.572)

Gerald Levy via groups.io 7/11/2020 22:09 寫道:

[...]

According to resource monitor the physicalram is around 9x and virtual ram is also 3xG

I have already manually increased the virtual ram, disabled possible performance hindering default apps, etc, but the problem seemed not fixed.

Only today I have already manually forced turn off the computer because of not responding nvda for 3 times or more, and this is only my third day of using this new pc.

I feel really frustrated , do any one can give me any useful advice?

thanks,

William

Hamit Campos

Oh dear Vostro that's worse because that's supposed to be a business PC. Then super extra shame Dell super shame on you. Oh dear what's Dell up to?

[...]

As a basis of comparison, my now mothballed Dell Optiplex 780 desktop which had only 3 GB of RAM and a measily 160 GB hard drive running Win 10 1903 had no problem running JAWS 2019, IE 11, Google Chrome, Thunderbird and a few other apps at the same time.  So your new Dell desktop should definitely be even faster.  Again, call Dell customer support.  If you don't get satisfactory answers, seriously consider returning the computer  and buying a different model.  Or maybe even consider buying a refurbished desktop from Computers for the Blind, which already comes with a one-year license for JAWS 2020, and has presumably been tested to ensure that it works properly when you set it up.

Gerald

On 11/7/2020 9:47 AM, William Wong wrote:

[...]

What year is the 780 from? Yeah I did install Win 10 on that 2007 desktop. Also for compairison the HP laptop that by the way did update to 20H2 a few days ago though it has it’s own issues and is starting to lag but I think that thing’s 3 years old and Leo Laporte says PCS start diing on year 3. It runs things fine once it gets going. No SSD on that though. But yes it has some other issues I don’t like but for the topic at hand the main thing that matters here though it loads pages slower then it should hell it loads them and like you said other programs can be going too and no crash. Oh Bill when yours locks up what do you have connected if you do want to share. Because mine does it when it has my CGate Backup Pluss 5 TB USB drive connected. Haven’t tried to open a bunch of things with out the CGAte connected but dam if Bill’s work station is doing this and he doesn’t have anything hooked up I’m sure this thing may as well. That’s worse that Bill’s is doing it because that’s a work station.

[...]

Jim Wohlgamuth

Hi THERE!

If I were you I would package the thing up, and return or send it back to where it came from and demand that they either resolve the issues you are having or replace it with a new one..? Good Luck and Have A Good 1!

de

<wohlggie@...><KF8LT><Jim>.

On 07-Nov-20 08:44, William Wong wrote:
[...]

Yeah I too may just have to do that. $1400 is no joke. It’s too expensive for the thing to be doing crap like this. Oh and another program I forgot is ThunderBird. As originally Google kept blocking office and beside I didn’t have my Office subscription I for the meen time installed Modzilla Thunder Bird and was checking Email with it. Let’s see I’ve also have downloaded my whole ITunes library. All the songs I’ve bought. Well almost. There’s just 1 folder left ITunes won’t grab.

[...]

If this is specific to Dell systems, chances are that it might be something running on your computers that might be consuming processor and memory resources. The thing is, you have to be careful as to what to turn off, and unless you get specific guidance from experts and reputable Dell personnel, leave software alone.

[...]

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020 at 09:09 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:
Not possible.
-
Agreed.  This is aberrant behavior and it could be the result of a hardware problem.

Since the option exists to call Microsoft Windows & Office Accessibility Support, on (800) 936-5900, in an attempt to at least determine what is happening I'd suggest doing so.  But like Mr. Levy, I call "lemon."  And lemons absolutely do exist in the computer world.  No brand new machine running a few odd programs should behave as described.

        ~ Madonna

Don H

Win 10 has a memory checker.  Maybe run it and see what it shows.

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020 at 10:49 AM, Jim Wohlgamuth wrote:
If I were you I would package the thing up, and return or send it back to where it came from and demand that they either resolve the issues you are having or replace it with a new one..
-
I'll agree with that, too.  I have, on more than one occasion, instructed clients to return computers that misbehave straight out of the box for refund or replacement.

There is really no excuse for this sort of thing, and most manufacturers will not give much of an argument if you're very prompt about this.

        ~ Madonna

Hamit Campos

Hmmmm we’ll see as we are a few days into November. The XPS came 2 days before October. But it’s been doing this Brian not like every day or anything but it’s done it as I just told mom like 3 or 4 times maybe 5 even on different days. What say you though Brian to the fact mine does it when I have a few things going as Bill said but also have my Backup Pluss hooked up. I thought until Bill’s message that hmmmmm I guess the XPS doesn’t really like having the Backup Pluss hooked up for long.

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020 at 10:49 AM, Jim Wohlgamuth wrote:

If I were you I would package the thing up, and return or send it back to where it came from and demand that they either resolve the issues you are having or replace it with a new one..

-
I'll agree with that, too.  I have, on more than one occasion, instructed clients to return computers that misbehave straight out of the box for refund or replacement.

There is really no excuse for this sort of thing, and most manufacturers will not give much of an argument if you're very prompt about this.

        ~ Madonna

Hamit Campos

How do you run the memory checkor? See actually in my case mine would already have gone and done it as I write this if I had the backup pluss drive. Because I have OutLook going, I have a YouTube live streem going and if the Backup Plus drive were open or had I a folder or some other thing like Sound Forge or Reaper going bam mid message JAWS seeses up and the video goes bie bie and even if you re open Chrome or Edge you get that oops ran out of memory message.

[...]

JM Casey

That's really not a lot of software and most of it takes up very little space -- so little that it's barely even worth thinking about.

As for an SSD drive -- well, like any other drive, you can do a check on the properties to see exactly how much space is used and how much is free. I've heard it said that you should be a bit more mindful of how much you use on an SSD, trying to leave about half of it free if possible, but I don't think the result of not doing this would be a huge slow-down of your system and lock-ups etc. It sounds like you and the other poster are just seriously having problems with these Dell machines. Why? I think it'd be really hard for any of us to say. In any case it seems pretty likely to me that the little software and files you put on it aren't really the problem.

[...]

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

I would call 'Dell and get a Return Authorization Number before returning
it. I have found that Dell is very good in honoring their warenty.

[...]

Ah yes that's why I asked too because my old Enspiron which was from December 2007 I feel I put way way more on and yes it got slow but that could've been because it was way old already in 2018 but it had 3 versions of JAWS NVDA VLC Audacity a few different trials of SoundForge and it never did such a thing. The key thing I want to stress because Bill hasn't about his is that mine does when I have a CGate Backup Plus USB drive hooked as I just said to someone all condisions as I write this are go for it to do it but for the Backup Drive. But yeah that's all it takes a YouTube Live streem OutLook the backup drive and another program bam I would have to re-start.