Topics

October 2020 cumulative update preview: KB4580364/build 19041(2).610 #KBAlert

Hi all,

For people new to this: Version 2004 and 20H2 are really the same apart from certain things turned on. Also, because this is a preview cumulative update, it is optional.

Cumulative update preview KB4580364 is now available, updating build revision to 19041(2).610:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4580364/windows-10-update-kb4580364

Changelog:

• Introducing Meet Now in the Windows 10 Taskbar

Earlier this year we introduced Meet Now in Skype. Meet Now makes it easy to connect with anyone in as little as two clicks for free and each call can last up to 24 hours. Today, we’re excited to share that we will be extending this capability in Windows 10 by bringing Meet Now right to the taskbar. In the coming weeks, you will be able to easily set up a video call and reach friends and family in an instant by clicking the Meet Now icon in the taskbar notification area. No sign ups or downloads needed.

• Updates an issue that causes a device to stop responding after you have been using a pen for several hours.

Details:

Version 2004:

• Addresses an issue with using Group Policy Preferences to configure the homepage in Internet Explorer.

• Allows administrators to use a Group Policy to enable Save Target As for users in Microsoft Edge IE Mode.

• Addresses an issue with untrusted URL navigations from Internet Explorer 11 by opening them in Microsoft Defender Application Guard using Microsoft Edge.

• Addresses an issue that occurs when using the full suite of developer tools in Microsoft Edge for remote debugging on a Windows 10 device.

• Addresses an issue that displays nothing on the screen for five minutes or more during the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) session.

• Addresses an issue that prevents certain Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) users from searching for files using File Explorer.

• Addresses an issue that causes a device to stop responding after you have been using a pen for several hours.

• Addresses an issue that causes an application to stop responding temporarily, which causes extra z-order operations that affect the Window.Topmost property of a window.

• Addresses an issue that might cause Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) apps to stop working.

• Addresses an issue that occurs when you first sign in to an account or unlock an existing user session using Remote Desktop Services (RDS). If you enter an incorrect password, the current keyboard layout changes unexpectedly to the system default keyboard layout. This keyboard layout change might cause additional attempts to sign in to fail or lead to account lockouts in domains with low account lockout thresholds.

• Addresses an issue that displays the incorrect CPU frequency for certain processors.

• Addresses a performance issue that occurs when PowerShell reads the registry to check if the ScriptBlockLogging registry key is in the registry.

• Addresses an issue that randomly changes the time offset of the time format returned by the command WMIC.exe OS Get localdatetime/ value.

• Addresses an issue that prevents Microsoft User Experience Virtualization (UE-V) from assigning the Microsoft Outlook Signatures.

• Addresses an issue that prevents Hybrid Azure Active Directory joined devices from updating portal information when a device name or Windows version changes.

• Addresses an issue that might prevent the Smart Cards for Windows service from starting.

• Adds a new Microsoft Event Tracing for Windows (ETW) provider named "Microsoft-Antimalware-UacScan". This ETW provider reports the details of the context for each User Account Control (UAC) request in the ETW provider manifest.

• Addresses an issue with virtual private network (VPN) connections that use Secured Password (EAP-MSCHAP v2) for authentication and have enabled the “Automatically use my Windows logon user name and password” property. When you connect to this type of VPN, an authentication dialog box incorrectly prompts for your credentials.

• Displays Recovery Partitions in the diskpart utility.

• Addresses an issue that causes stop error 0xd1 in msiscsi.sys. This issue occurs when moving certain arrays from one cluster node to another.

• Addresses an issue that causes the IAutomaticUpdatesResults::get_LastInstallationSuccessDate method to return 1601/01/01 when there are no active updates.

• Adds support for the Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.1 and 1.2 protocols when connecting to SQL Server using the data providers in Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC).

• Addresses an issue with SQL Server that might cause performance issues if you configure a Linked Server provider to load out-of-process.

• Addresses an issue that might degrade Windows performance and prevent the LanmanServer service from starting when third-party software uses LanmanServer custom file system controls (FSCTL).

• Addresses an issue with deduplication that causes long wait times on Resilient File System (ReFS) Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV).

• Addresses an issue that might prevent some applications from behaving correctly. This occurs when you publish them as Remote Application Integrated Locally (RAIL) applications using RDS and change the docking for an AppBar window.

• Addresses an issue with a deadlock in the Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCPIP) driver that causes the operating system to stop working or stop responding.

• Addresses an issue that causes the Routing and Remote Access Service (RRAS) to stop responding for new connections. However, RRAS continues working for existing connections.

• Addresses an issue that causes the RRAS administrator Microsoft Management Console (MMC) to stop responding randomly when you are performing administrative tasks or at startup.

• Addresses an issue with starting Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2) on ARM64 devices that occurs after installing KB4579311.

Version 20H2: same as 2004.

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 03:16 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Also, because this is a preview cumulative update, it is optional.

-
Joseph, are you able to expand upon what, exactly, a "preview cumulative update" is?  I do not recall ever having seen one before, and really don't know exactly what it is that Microsoft is intending to telegraph by this designation.  I am clear on the fact that it's optional, so no one needs to apply it.  I imagine what's in the preview will be rolled in to a later regular cumulative update.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Also, as an aside, this update:  2020-10 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64 (KB4580419), installed when I just checked for updates.  I mention this only because it is also designated a "Cumulative Update Preview," which clearly doesn't always also mean, "Optional."

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Hi,

The practice of releasing preview updates in current form originated in 2000’s when Microsoft released updates to fix issues for specific customer situations. These updates were collected into service packs, and by Windows 8.x era, it led to releasing updates in the style of what we can now call feature updates (Windows 8.1 Update in April 2014 is a prime example).

What we now call “preview cumulative updates” came with Version 1511 (November Update/TH2). As pointed out by Brian, preview updates are meant to test changes apart from rare security patches prior to releasing these together with security patches a few weeks later. Originally they were sent to release preview Windows Insiders but it was gradually expanded to cover all systems by 2018. Microsoft sometimes calls them “C” and “D” week updates because they show up during third or fourth week of the month. The practice of sending preview cumulative updates to release preview Insiders is still followed – KB4580364 was made available to release preview and beta channel Windows Insiders last week, and Microsoft made it available to everyone today – apart from including a fix, 19041.608 and 19041.610 are identical.

Something I need to confess: I don’t expect my successor to follow this practice, but whenever I read preview CU release notes, I draft a KB alert message. In some cases this results in a draft KB alert notice for a preview update being composed a week prior to actual KB distribution. And no, I cannot predict exactly which build revision will be used, nor have a clue as to when a preview cumulative update will show up for everyone – I can only guess, and apart from a few mishaps, my guesses were quite close to the revision number users eventually received. Same can be said about public build number for feature updates – more than once, I guessed what the feature update build number range would be, and I hit the mark more than once (for example, I knew that Version 1803’s build number would be above 17120, closer to 1713x, and my guess was right).

Part of this guesswork may be due to my tendency to watch build numbers closely, having experienced Windows Insider builds from day 1, or perhaps looking at feature update build finalization date and working backwards. This is easier now that feature updates are internally finalized in June and December (the former for YYH2, the latter for YYH1). As I described a few months ago, before Microsoft finalizes a feature update (at least internally), a servicing branch is created, and it has just occurred today – regardless of public availability (we shall find out in January 2021; I’ll explain when asked), Version 21H1 is being finalized, to be serviced from fe_release (chemical symbol for iron + “release”) branch. Given that 21H1 is scheduled to be finalized in December, we can guess that the final 21H1 build range will be at least 20260, more towards 20260 to 20280 (four to six builds are compiled inside Microsoft every week, but since November and December are short months when considering holidays, there won’t be a lot of builds; currently my guess is that Microsoft engineers are testing iron (fe_release)/cobalt (rs_prerelease) canary/self-host build 20248 internally, which would have been compiled on Tuesday night). I know, it’s getting complicated (apologies for going really geeky in this post).

Also, as an aside, this update:  2020-10 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64 (KB4580419), installed when I just checked for updates.  I mention this only because it is also designated a "Cumulative Update Preview," which clearly doesn't always also mean, "Optional."

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 03:16 PM 10/29/2020, Joseph Lee wrote:
For people new to this: Version 2004 and 20H2 are really the same apart from
certain things turned on. Also, because this is a preview cumulative update,
it is optional.
I just received it last night as part of the insider preview program. As with all insider builds over the past three months, installation and reboot produce a blank screen with no access to the desktop, start menu, settings, Cortana or much of anything else. I can only start new tasks via the task manager, boot to safe mode (which is completely functional) and reinstall. I've run Microsoft's Reset windows Update, Dism and SFC scripts, all to no avail.
Obviously, if I can boot to safe mode and launch any desired application from the task manager, there's nothing missing or corrupt in my Windows components. But the lack of any kind of user interface means I will probably be forced to reinstall from scratch as I've done after every insider preview.
Confoundly, this doesn't always happensimultaneously on my desktop and laptop with the same builds. Usually, one installation succeeds, while the other produces what I just described. In any case, Microsoft needs to look into this immediately. I made contact with an anonymous Microsoft representative via the insider program's Twitter page, and I was told I could roll back to the previous build for ten days, which I already knew. However, I can't roll back without the settings interface.

Orlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 12:01 PM, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
part of the insider preview program
-
Which, depending on which ring you're on, is either late alpha or early beta testing.  What you describe under those circumstances should be considered "par for the course."

That doesn't mean that Microsoft shouldn't be notified and expected to fix whatever issue(s) is (are) causing problems, though.

Orlando, I know that you know everything I've said above, and am about to say, but I'm posting specifically because:

1) There does exist an Insiders subgroup (which you may or may not be a member of, I'm not, so I pay no attention to it).

2) The general readership needs to understand that agreeing to use alpha and beta software sometimes comes with exactly these sorts of incidents and if you've chosen to be a part of testing you do have an obligation to report.

Use of alpha and beta builds is at your own risk (AYOR) and carries an obligation to report issues as they occur.  If you can't accept either of those things, stick with regular released versions.

At 12:10 PM 10/30/2020, Brian Vogel wrote:
The general readership needs to understand that agreeing to use
alpha and beta software sometimes comes with exactly these sorts of
incidents and if you've chosen to be a part of testing you do have an
obligation to report.
Use of alpha and beta builds is at your own risk (AYOR) and carries an
obligation to report issues as they occur. If you can't accept
either of those things, stick with regular released versions.
I don't mind the risks of alpha and beta software. I don't even necessarily mind repeated instances of the blank screen and no access to the start menu, desktop or settings. I do mind the fact that there's apparently no way to fix this situation other than reinstallation. I also mind that, since this keeps happening with each insider preview, Microsoft's engineers are obviously not looking into the problem, since they've been told to repeat the rollback line as a solution. This solution is of course impossible without the settings app.

Orlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 12:24 PM, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
This solution is of course impossible without the settings app.
-
I agree with you 100%.  But someone in your shoes, and with your experience, absolutely has to know that taking a full system image backup prior to updating, in case of this kind of failure, is the insurance you use.

You're not new to this, obviously.  These things happen, and you know what you'd need to do to be prepared for an easy recovery from same.

Everything you describe, no matter how irritating to enraging, is par for the course in the territory you've chosen to enter and explore.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Hi,
Sounds like a driver compatibility problem or something going on with File
Explorer or one of its components. You're right in that in-place reinstall
might be the route to go.

At 12:27 PM 10/30/2020, Brian Vogel wrote:
I agree with you 100%. But someone in your shoes, and with your
experience, absolutely has to know that taking a full system image
backup prior to updating, in case of this kind of failure, is the
insurance you use.
I have yet to find a truly accessible image backup application, so I do the next best thing. I backup my user profile, documents and other data, plus all my application installation files. I also back up some registry files containing my sound scheme and specific application settings.
Reinstallation therefore involves running these registry keys, copying the user profile from backup and reinstalling all my applications.
It's a particular nuisance to install all the Vocalizer Expressive voices for JAWS each time.
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 12:34 PM, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
I have yet to find a truly accessible image backup application
-
There have been a number of topics discussing this and there seems to be a consensus that there are at least a couple, but not necessarily free, options.  I believe that Image for Windows was mentioned, but you can search the archive if you're really interested.

My general battle is getting people to take the backups so that they're available if needed, and that's whether they are sighted, blind, or something in between.  Most would never even think of trying to do a recovery themselves, so I'm not concerned with that side of the equation.  But for someone who's blind, and as sophisticated a user as you are, you'd want something that's accessible at both ends of the equation.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Hi all,

To clarify a few things and to provide a reference answer in case this comes up in the future:

  1. Unless members of Insiders subgroup says otherwise, the dedicated Windows insiders subgroup will not be merged into main Win10 forum. This decision was made as Groups.IO forum was founded in October 2015, knowing that there should be a dedicated place for Insiders to gather to talk about this precise content. This is the reason why I frequently call the main forum and the subgroup “forum cluster”.
  2. Do you expect cumulative update announcements for preview builds: not exactly. Although I believe high impact content such as addition of Meet Now button in notification area should be noted, generally cumulative updates meant for release preview and beta channel Insiders, and discussions afterwards, should be reserved for Insiders subgroup. I do have a tendency to use release preview channel as a benchmark for declaring branch progression but that’s only for feature updates.
  3. How can I prove that I contacted Microsoft: several ways. The best option is sharing a Feedback Hub link, followed by direct communication via social media. This is applicable for both the main forum and Insiders subgroup.
  4. Should Microsoft take responsibility for all update faults: no. Sometimes how a software or hardware device driver interacts with the operating system, and in some instances, issues with specific software (and more than once, interaction between screen readers and Windows) may cause severe issues. This is why Microsoft is more proactive in blocking feature updates when issues like this arises, and also demonstrates limitations with that approach – software and hardware makers must report details to Microsoft before the problem becomes widespread. This doesn’t mean Microsoft can escape criticism, hence the statement that not all faults are of Microsoft.

I provide these clarifications so that people new to Win10 forum can understand the forum culture (as some of you may have noticed, this forum can get geeky at times; I have received numerous feedback about the perceived difficulty of forum content, something I hope we can address to some extent). Again an important disclaimer: I do not work for Microsoft – we do have Microsoft staff with us, so that’s a plus for us.

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 12:50 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
this forum can get geeky at times; I have received numerous feedback about the perceived difficulty of forum content, something I hope we can address to some extent
-
And, Joseph, feedback complaining about this is simply not valid.  Not everything written in any forum is meant to be easily digestible, or even digestible at all, by each and every member.

It is not like the majority of the content of this group is "above the heads" of most of the membership.  There are occasional bits that are.  If something is considered "too much" by a given member that's what the Mute this Topic link is for, or the delete button.

No group can be, or should attempt to be, all things to all people.  You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but never all of the people all of the time.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

inamuddin khan

Respected friends, I’m using the latest build of windows which is Windows 10 2020 H2 19042.610 but I don’t find meet now button.

To find this button, all I did what I could do!

Please let me know how do I find it out?

Charlsdarwin1

Sent from Mail for Windows 10