Topics

Ready, set, check: October 2020 Update is now live #branchprogression #WinTen20H2

Hello everyone,

Windows 10 October 2020 Update (20H2) is now available. Highlights of this release include Alt+Tab changes, subtle changes to Start menu, tablet interface improvements (including no more ‘tablet mode” on computers with no touchscreens), and under the hood changes. See the following Microsoft blog for details:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/10/20/whats-new-in-the-windows-10-october-2020-update/

As we always do, a new feature update release means:

  1. Please wait until “Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2” is offered via Windows Update. Like recent feature updates, it’ll be an optional update unless you are using Windows 10 Version 1809 or 1903, which are going out of support very soon.
  2. As always, please back up before you apply the feature update.
  3. Just because Version 20H2 is available doesn’t mean everyone will get it today, especially given that not all users were offered Version 2004 (May 2020 Update).
  4. Speaking of Version 2004, Version 20H2 is Version 2004 with additional features.
  5. The last regular cumulative update announcement for Version 2004 will be sent on December 8, 2020. Between now and then, you’ll see 19041(2) in KB alert subject line.

And with that, let the rollout begin!

The update dashboard page for 20H2 can be found at:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-20h2

Also, an important note: beginning with Version 20H2, Chromium Edge will be installed.

[...]

Hamit Campos

Joseph, just did check for updates on my laptop. Didn't get it. I haven't tried the new XPS 8940 yet as I'm listening to DR Thom Hartmann on there.

On 10/20/2020 1:30 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

[...]

As I said, don’t worry if you don’t get it, as the update is being deployed in stages.

[...]

Yep I saw that later on. I'd forgotten they do that. The new XPS didn't get it either just to keep you all informed on what's on going here.

On 10/20/2020 1:43 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Raha Tehrani

Hi.
I've just updated to the latest version. "20H2" I've just discovered a
problem with the latest version of NVDA. as you do an alt+enter on
This PC, you won't be able to see the same system properties you could
previously see. instead, there will be settings which is not mainly
supported by NVDA. you can't read the information shown via NVDA. as I
switched to JAWS, it did much better. JAWS nearly read most
information existed there. but NVDA kept quiet. object navigation
didn't do the trick either.
I hope Josef will fix it as soon as possible.
a little patch in windows app essentials might do the trick.
Take care.

On 10/20/20, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@gmail.com> wrote:
Yep I saw that later on. I'd forgotten they do that. The new XPS didn't
get it either just to keep you all informed on what's on going here.

On 10/20/2020 1:43 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

As I said, don’t worry if you don’t get it, as the update is being
deployed in stages.

Update is now live #WinTen20H2 #BranchProgression

[...]

Try after restarting your computer.

[...]

Hi. Joseph>
there's just a little tip here. if you go to the same place through
startmenu\settings\system\about, it will be well supported by NVDA.
but if you want to have access to the same place and items through
hitting an alt+enter while landing this PC, NVDA will just keep quiet,
in such a case, as you press tab, you won't move at all. moreover,
nothing special is read out to you. but settings. it really sounds
screwy, because if you visit the same area, from
settings\system\about, there will be no problems at all. as you tab,
NVDA will ordinarily move forward and read out the focused items in a
clear manner.
would you mind giving it a try to learn more about it?
Take care.

[...]

I just tried your steps and cannot reproduce this on my end (NVDA reads information as I press Tab and when performing object navigation commands to read system details.

[...]

enes sarıbaş

This is very odd. Normally my pc was in the cohort that could get the update via a check. Seems that isn't the case anymore.

On 10/20/2020 12:23 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Kevin

Would the build number be

Version 2009 Build 19091.572

Because that’s what I have

email is golden!!!

Kevin Lee

[...]

Nope – it is 20H2 build 19042.572 after applying the feature update, which unlike pat updates, it rolling out slowly (I didn’t get it on my virtual machine either).