Topics

[solved] missing start menu search field

Brad Snyder

As long as I have been using Windows 10, after pressing the Windows-key to open the Start Menu, my focus has been placed in a Search field, and JAWS speaks “Search box, edit text”, or something similar.  This Start Menu Search field was present following the Windows 10 Spring 2004 update, but following a recent Windows 10 Cumulative Update, has disappeared.

Does anyone know how to get it back??

- Brad -

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Brad,

        If you were using the Windows Key and just started typing, the search field really isn't present until you start typing.  My guess is that something has changed about when Windows 10 exposes whatever it is that it exposes to the screen reader to get it to announce the search field.  You can still hit Windows Key and just start typing immediately.

        You also have the option of displaying the actual Windows Search button in the taskbar and using it instead to launch your search.  If you have focus on the taskbar itself and bring up the context menu you should have the Search option, and when activated it will give you a choice of two items:  Hidden and show search icon.  That way if you activate the search button (which is what the icon is used on) you'll know you've got focus on the Windows search edit box.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Sarah k Alawami

Are you positive? I still have mine and that was after an update last week, I dunno what that update is as I never bothered to check. Have you tired a reboot of yoru system?

On 17 Sep 2020, at 9:29, Brad Snyder wrote:

As long as I have been using Windows 10, after pressing the Windows-key to open the Start Menu, my focus has been placed in a Search field, and JAWS speaks “Search box, edit text”, or something similar.  This Start Menu Search field was present following the Windows 10 Spring 2004 update, but following a recent Windows 10 Cumulative Update, has disappeared.

Does anyone know how to get it back??

- Brad -

Sarah k Alawami

Actually 8in my case I still hear "start, search edit." and am using the latest nvda and 2004 updates.

On 17 Sep 2020, at 11:19, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

I'm on Win10 Version 2004, and when using NVDA 2020.2 after hitting the Windows Key I hear, "Start Window, Search Window, Search Box Edit Blank."

One can always try, Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file, or rolling back the Cumulative Update and letting it reapply.  I actually find doing a repair install easier, but some don't.  I discuss how to roll back recently applied Windows Updates at the outset of, Britechguy’s Standard Advice Regarding Windows 10 Issues and Their Repair

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Brad Snyder

Hi Brian and Sarah,

I tried typing in a Search after pressing the Windows-key and nothing happened.
When I press the Windows-key, I hear JAWS say “Pin tiles list box”.
I get the same result when using NVDA, latest public release.
Yes, I have restarted my machine, and nothing changes.

- Brad -

On Sep 17, 2020, at 14:15, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

I'm on Win10 Version 2004, and when using NVDA 2020.2 after hitting the Windows Key I hear, "Start Window, Search Window, Search Box Edit Blank."

One can always try, Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file, or rolling back the Cumulative Update and letting it reapply.  I actually find doing a repair install easier, but some don't.  I discuss how to roll back recently applied Windows Updates at the outset of, Britechguy’s Standard Advice Regarding Windows 10 Issues and Their Repair

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Hi,

Is tablet mode on? To check, open Action center, then look at “tablet mode” control. If it is pressed, press Space to turn it off. Another place to look at is Settings (Windows+I)/Personalization/Start.

[...]

Larry Higgins

This will occasionally happen to me also, and the only thing I can do is a complete shutdown, and things generally come back to normal. Can't say why this happens in  the first place, but it does.

On 9/17/2020 3:10 PM, Brad Snyder wrote:
[...]

When I go to Action Center, Tablet mode is already Off/Unchecked.

When I go to Settings > Personalization > Start, I do not find an option for toggling on/off the Start Search edit box.

- Brad -

On Sep 17, 2020, at 15:38, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks - at least this helps us narrow down possible solutions. Before we get into repair installation, have you tried pressing Windows+S or Windows+Q to bring up search box?

[...]

heather albright

Hi, I saw this off you tube and he has written notes with the steps to follow too. I thought I would share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02pF4VNj7s0 It sounded like what you are discussing.

Cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

I tried both Windows + S and Windows + Q, and neither does anything.

For my sample search, I am typing “Control Panel.
When I type Control Panel into the search field on the TaskBar, nothing happens.
When I type Control Panel into the Run dialog, the Control Panel opens, so I know it is there.

I have heard of others having their Start Menu Search box disappear, but cannot remember how this situation was remedied.
I know the answer is out there somewhere.

- Brad -

On Sep 17, 2020, at 16:38, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you.  I’ll check it out.

- Brad -

On Sep 17, 2020, at 16:49, heather albright <kd5cbl@...> wrote:

[...]

<06DB27651932456BB7B283214E224876.png><6E443E8DBE0145959417717BBF8595BF.png>

heather albright

When you do windows plus s a search box comes up and the same for windows plus q. I do not know if there is a difference between the 2 commands or not, always use the search in the start minu! Cheers Heather

[...]

Neither Windows + S or Windows + Q does anything on my machine.

- Brad -

On Sep 17, 2020, at 17:07, heather albright <kd5cbl@...> wrote:

[...]

<B5D9BB1670E14296A56625CC9F6D3440.png><AE3F4D47A199402097EA5D0DF28673C9.png>

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 06:32 PM, Brad Snyder wrote:
Neither Windows + S or Windows + Q does anything on my machine.
-
Do the repair install.  These are built-in Windows keyboard shortcuts.  When native Windows shortcuts are not working something is wrong, really wrong, somewhere in Windows itself.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

JM Casey

It appears we may have the same problem. Interesting and odd.

What about in file explorer…can you also not search from there? I do get a search box/edit field, or at least it appears to be there according to screen-readers, but the list views do not change at all after a search term(s) is entered.

[...]

Hey Joseph and everyone else.

In settings, personalisation, start – there does not appear to be any option pertaining to windows search  on my system.

I may be having the same issue. This started last night, after I had been using the search box consistently in file explorer all evening.

I went into settings, search in windows, advanced settings and this caused it to automatically start re-building the search index. It appears to be working very slowly, having been stuck at around 280,000 items for some time now.

[...]

Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 04:10 PM 9/17/2020, Brad Snyder wrote:
I tried typing in a Search after pressing the Windows-key and
nothing happened.
When I press the Windows-key, I hear JAWS say "Pin tiles list box".
I get the same result when using NVDA, latest public release.
Yes, I have restarted my machine, and nothing changes.

When I experienced this both with the last stable builds and the last few insider previews, nothing fixed the problem other than editing the administrative template using the group policy editor.
The group policy editor is only available in Windows 10 Professional and Enterprise; if you try to run Gpedit.msc on Windows 10 Home, you're told that you lack the correct edition.
The group policy editor is organized into a tree view of categories and a list view of settings for each category. There is also an "all settings" option wherein all settings from all categories are combined into a single alphabetical list that can be sorted by setting, state and other criteria.
Pressing enter on any given list view item opens a simple dialogue with accessible combo boxes, edit boxes, radio buttons and check boxes. Each setting has only three states: enabled, disabled and not configured. The mnemonics are alt+E for "enabled," alt+D for "disabled" and alt+C for "not
configured".

Now, for the bad news. Since I've put together my preferred group policy configuration, I run it on each Windows installation.OI therefore don't know exactly which setting made the start menu, settings, Cortana and other Windows 10 apps finally read with JAWS. I do know that I was configuring All Settings between the entries beginning with A and those beginning with B when it started to work.
There are, however, approximately 2700 settings in the administrative section of the group policy editor. There's also a user templates section laid out as described above, containing "only" approximately 1700 settings.

I'm sorry I can't find the exact setting that solves this most debilitating problem. However, for those who feel comfortable with the group policy editor, there is hope of achieving our goal of having JAWS read all Windows 10 apps as expected.
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. in Music theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
Charlotte, North Carolina
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090

Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 06:49 PM 9/17/2020, Brian Vogel wrote:
Do the repair install. These are built-in Windows keyboard
shortcuts. When native Windows shortcuts are not working something
is wrong, really wrong, somewhere in Windows itself.
Actually, no. There is a single group policy editor setting that disables all native Windows

key commands.
The group policy editor seriously needs a search function. I doubt anyone can recall exactly which setting out of nearly 5000 is applicable.
Orlando Enrique Fiol