Topics

September 2020 cumulative update: KB4571756/build 19041(2).508 #KBAlert

Hi all,

September 2020 cumulative update is now available for Version 2004 (KB4571756/build 19041.508; build 19042.508 for 20H2 beta testers):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4571756/windows-10-update-kb4571756

Changelog:

• Updates to improve security when using input devices (such as a mouse, keyboard, or pen).

• Updates to improve security when Windows performs basic operations.

• Updates for storing and managing files.

• Updates to improve security when using Microsoft Office products.

Details:

• Addresses an issue with a possible elevation of privilege in windowmanagement.dll.

• Addresses a security vulnerability issue with user proxies and HTTP-based intranet servers. After installing this update, HTTP-based intranet servers cannot leverage a user proxy by default to detect updates. Scans using these servers will fail if the clients do not have a configured system proxy. If you must leverage a user proxy, you must configure the behavior using the Windows Update policy “Allow user proxy to be used as a fallback if detection using system proxy fails.” This change does not affect customers who secure their Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) servers with the Transport Layer Security (TLS) or Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocols. For more information, see Ensuring clients stay secure, changes to scans against Windows Server Update Service (WSUS) servers.

• Security updates to Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Media, Windows Shell, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Management, Windows Kernel, Windows Virtualization, Windows Storage and Filesystems, the Microsoft Scripting Engine, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine.

And just as a note, it made its way to my computer via Windows Update, but along with two other updates was waiting for me to hit the control allowing them to install (which they're doing as I type).

I presume they'd eventually do so on their own, as the cumulative update, applied last and just finished, is giving the, "Your device will restart outside active hours," notice.

It's always worth taking a peek to see if you have updates that have downloaded on their own, but are waiting in "Pending install" state for you to kick them off.  Like all Windows Updates, this is checked in Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update Pane.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)