Topics

Windows Live Essentials: time to abandon ship #AdminNotice

Hello Win10 forum family,

As part of July 2020 state of the Win10 forum post, I noted that we should limit discussion of unsupported software. In the past this applied to unsupported Windows 10 feature updates, but starting later this year (specifically, the day after Windows 10 Version 20H2 shows up for everyone), it will apply to all software (including screen reader releases). Discussion of these software should focus on moving to supported releases or alternatives.

Given the rising interest in Windows Essentials (formerly Windows Live Essentials), and given numerous reports of instability under Windows 10 May 2020 Update (Version 2004) and the fact that Windows Essentials is unsupported since 2017, I (as head list representative) am formally invoking “abandon the ship” principle i.e. unsupported software policy for Windows Essentials, effective September 8, 2020 (the day September 2020 cumulative update is released). If you are using Windows Essentials components such as Windows live Mail, please move to alternatives. If you need to discuss Windows Essentials or any of its components on Win10 forum, please do so under the context of moving to alternatives.

Relevant support notice:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18614/windows-essentials