From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 11:26 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] Group by in Contact List in Outlook

Sherry,

           Sort order is a thing of its own, and for contacts in Outlook behaves very similarly to File Explorer in that you need to gain focus on the column that you wish to sort on and activate that (it acts as a button).  Once activated, it will sort on that column, but I can't know if it will default to ascending or descending.  If the sort is "backwards" just activate the column header button again and the order will be reversed.

            For the vast majority of users, the column one wishes to sort on is the "File As" column

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Sherry,

           Sort order is a thing of its own, and for contacts in Outlook behaves very similarly to File Explorer in that you need to gain focus on the column that you wish to sort on and activate that (it acts as a button).  Once activated, it will sort on that column, but I can't know if it will default to ascending or descending.  If the sort is "backwards" just activate the column header button again and the order will be reversed.

            For the vast majority of users, the column one wishes to sort on is the "File As" column

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Sherry Wells

I had expanded it & that is a bit better as the names show up.  They are in no obvious order though, not by last name or first name or email address.  This is ridiculous.  One should be able to get rid of group by altogether & sort by the column you choose.  I’ll have to call Microsoft later.

BTW, it is alt V E E to expand.  There is also an alt V E X to expand all.  As far as I can tell that makes no difference.

Thanks,

Sherry Wells

You can't get rid of some "group by" in contacts, but I think I know what's happening here.  The default "Group by" is company, and most of my contacts have none.

Try ALT+V,E,E,  and if that doesn't do it, then ALT+V,E,C.   I am presuming that the company grouping is currently collapsed, which means each contact's company will be shown on a per-item basis.  When it's expanded, it disappears (which is counterintuitive).

But those two commands either expand or collapse the current group view in contacts.  So give it a try.

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

You can't get rid of some "group by" in contacts, but I think I know what's happening here.  The default "Group by" is company, and most of my contacts have none.

Try ALT+V,E,E,  and if that doesn't do it, then ALT+V,E,C.   I am presuming that the company grouping is currently collapsed, which means each contact's company will be shown on a per-item basis.  When it's expanded, it disappears (which is counterintuitive).

But those two commands either expand or collapse the current group view in contacts.  So give it a try.

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Sherry Wells

Hello all,

I’m not sure how it happened but my contact list in Outlook is suddenly sorted by company.  When I go to contacts, Jaws announces group by company.  99% of my contacts do not have a company listed.  I was able to expand the group by which then listed all who had none but they are not in alphabetical order.  How do I get rid of the group by altogether?  I am using Windows 10 version 1904 & current version of Outlook.

Thanks,

Sherry Wells