Topics

Correct version and build numbers of latest may 2020 update

James Robinson

              Hello!

Current Windows10 version and build setting:  Version 1909 and Build 18363.836

System says I am up to date!

What should May 2020 version and build numbers should be?

I have automatic update set.  Does this mean I have not gotten the latest update yet.  I have Windows Pro/64-bit system.

Later!

JRobb

Jacob Kruger

James, I did a forced update early this morning, using media creation tool, and, my windows 10 pro 64 bit currently reports:

Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.264)

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

              Hello!

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 04:08 AM, James Robinson wrote:
Does this mean I have not gotten the latest update yet.  I have Windows Pro/64-bit system.
Yes, and it could be months, potentially, before the 2004 Version of Windows 10 is offered to you in the Windows Update Pane of Update & Security Settings.

This has been the case since Version 1903, where when Microsoft considers your machine suitable for inclusion in an update cohort, you will be presented with a notice in the Windows Update Pane.  This notice has consistently been worded as follows, with the only variation being the actual Version number in the opening line:

Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004
The next version of Windows is available with new features and security improvements.  When you're ready for the update, select "Download and install."

which is immediately followed by the actual Download and install link which, when activated, does just that.  Full automatic updates are, effectively, a thing of the past since a significant number of people complained very loudly about feature updates occurring that way.  Even allowing them to download and install, but not trigger a restart unless the end user allowed it, was considered "too much."  Microsoft bowed to the demand to change how and when feature updates are applied, and like all changes, some love this one while others hate it.  But it is what it is.

So watch your Windows Update Pane for this notice.  And if at least one month from the first day of release has not already passed know that if you activate it you are consenting to participate in the "shake out cruise" that occurs in the early weeks of each and every feature update.