Topics

Let the show begin: Version 2004 (May 2020 Update) released #branchprogression #windowsupdatestatus #WinTen2004

Hello Win10 forum family,

Yes, finally: Windows 10 Version 2004 (May 2020 Update/build 19041) is now ready for people manually checking for updates or downloading install media. For many people, you should wait until “Feature update to Windows 10, Version 2004” is offered to you through Windows Update. As always, usual precautions apply: backup data, install latest drivers and compatible software releases, check screen reader compatibility, read about what’s new in Version 2004.

Unlike Version 1909 last year and similar to Version 1903 before that, Version 2004 is a full feature update. That is, when you install Version 2004, you are basically installing a brand new Windows version. The major update after Version 2004 may or may not be a full update – it is likely that it will be a minor feature update.

As always, release info page for Version 2004 can be found at:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

What’s new in May 2020 Update 9Windows Blogs):

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/05/27/whats-new-in-the-windows-10-may-2020-update/

How to get May 2020 Update:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/05/27/how-to-get-the-windows-10-may-2020-update/

Just FYI, and this is always the case, the way Microsoft has changed Windows Update means that doing a manual search for updates may not turn this update up with the Download and install link if MS has not deemed your device ready.   And none of us that I know of knows the algorithm used to determine device readiness.

I did a manual check this morning, before this message came out, and I got the final quality update for Version 1909, KB4497165.  A manual recheck seconds ago gets me nothing in relation to 2004.

Like always, it will show up when MS decides it should show up, unless I were to do a manual Feature Update using the 2004 ISO file, and I'm not doing that as I prefer not to be on "the bleeding edge" unless Microsoft happens to put my machine in the very earliest update cohort, which has happened more than once.

Leo

I have just upgraded my windows 10 to the May 2020 release, everything running smoothly here!

Best,
   Leo
On 5/27/2020 11:06 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Michael Massey

Hello.  I am finally caught up on the e-mail from the various lists to which I am subscribed while Windows 10 version 2004 and build 19,041.264 was downloading and installing on my desktop pc.  I just now checked for Windows updates manually on my laptop which is an H P running Windows 10 home edition version 1909.  However, Windows 10 pro is humming along smoothly.  The download took about five minutes and the installation took about an hour.

Michael Massey

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my laptop pc is not yet ready for the Windows 10 2004 home edition yet.

Yeah I noticed that to.

It took longer to install but yeah I got the tool manually and installed windows 10 that way.

The only thing I needed to do bar the usual little tweaks was allow hp support to reinstall

 a wireless lan dch update after which it just worked.

On 28/05/2020 9:10 am, Michael Massey wrote:

Hello.  I am finally caught up on the e-mail from the various lists to which I am subscribed while Windows 10 version 2004 and build 19,041.264 was downloading and installing on my desktop pc.  I just now checked for Windows updates manually on my laptop which is an H P running Windows 10 home edition version 1909.  However, Windows 10 pro is humming along smoothly.  The download took about five minutes and the installation took about an hour.

Well mine wasn't but since I do a lot of test work, I decided to get ready for it.

The big push will be when amd decide to update their drivers for the next month or whenever they do that.

There was a time for about 3 months where the amd drivers bricked windows and I had to restore the system back before that.

Finally these were fixed.

If and when you do update, bar needing to reinstall optional feature and languages and reinstalling updated windows packages, and adjusting cortana and a few other things, it does appear that just about everything has been kept.

Usually I need to reinstall codecs, reinstall and reset file associations and the like.

Now assuming that on needing to update a codec I don't have to reinstall,my hack to get round the mmc .exe being restricted issue when mmc was not used for msc files due to codecs, well who knows.

My point is that finally microsoft has got it darn right.

When I ran adobe dc it didn't need to repair itself.

My settings are in tact.

With cortana disabled I noticed a marked performance increase to.

Also it appears when I installed media creation tool version of windows that either it installed everything or it installed after I rebooted since I didn't elect to download extras during windows install.

There was an initial delay of 30 minutes after the system was started, but it appears it needed to install extras and did it in the background.

On 28/05/2020 9:17 am, Michael Massey wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my laptop pc is not yet ready for the Windows 10 2004 home edition yet.

mitchell lee

I had to use the media creation tool to get mine, my computer is in the process of restarting, any new features that’s good,

On May 27, 2020, at 2:27 PM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:

[...]

for all who have updated are you noticing any performance increase on
the computer?
i know its to early to ask, but i have read blogs not microsoft blogs
that say that the new windows 10 update is 26% faster.

On 5/28/20, Leo <literophilus@myself.com> wrote:
[...]

austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

Hi all,

I specifically asked many of you to HOLD OFF – do not use Media Creation Tool to update unless you know what you are doing and willing to take risks early.

[...]

well, I wouldn't  venture myself to make such statement since in my pinion to assess any performance increase involves some variables depending on a given number of factors. Besides, in my experience, after every major update or upgrade, my machine always seems to go faster than before.

Best,

On 5/28/20, Leo <literophilus@...> wrote:
[...]

Jason White

I suspect mine may not be compatible yet either: I get a “Thank you for updating to the latest version of Windows 10” message whenever I run Update Assistant. Also, Check for Updates claims the system is “already up to date”. I’m wondering whether this is a sign of a machine that is being held back for compatibility reasons, given the issues that have been acknowledged with the 2004 update:

https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/05/28/windows-10-may-2020-update-issues/

In any event, I’m not in a hurry to upgrade at the moment.

From: <win10@win10.groups.io> on behalf of Michael Massey <massey52@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 17:17
To: <win10@win10.groups.io>

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my laptop pc is not yet ready for the Windows 10 2004 home edition yet.

hi Jason although i would advise all to hold off from updating so early.
but if you want to update you must go to the download windows 10 page
and reinstall the updater.

From: <win10@win10.groups.io> on behalf of Michael Massey
<massey52@comcast.net>
Date: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 17:17
To: <win10@win10.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [win10] Let the show begin: Version 2004 (May 2020 Update)
released #WinTen2004 #BranchProgression #WindowsUpdateStatus

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my laptop pc is not yet ready for the
Windows 10 2004 home edition yet.

austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

Jason White

Update Assistant didn't work: it gave me a 0xa0000400 error whenever I attempted to proceed with the update. However, I was able to complete the update using the Media Creation Tool.

As an aside, presenting the user only with a 32-bit hex error code doesn't qualify in my opinion as an appropriate error message - especially when there apparently isn't a publicly searchable database on Microsoft's Web site for looking them up. It's fine to return it from an API call, but displaying it to the user without explanation... They ought to fix, in my opinion, and I've encountered similar in other contexts, too.

From: <win10@win10.groups.io> on behalf of Michael Massey
<massey52@comcast.net>
Date: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 17:17
To: <win10@win10.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [win10] Let the show begin: Version 2004 (May 2020
Update) released #WinTen2004 #BranchProgression #WindowsUpdateStatus

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 07:02 PM, Jason White wrote:
As an aside, presenting the user only with a 32-bit hex error code doesn't qualify in my opinion as an appropriate error message - especially when there apparently isn't a publicly searchable database on Microsoft's Web site for looking them up. It's fine to return it from an API call, but displaying it to the user without explanation... They ought to fix, in my opinion, and I've encountered similar in other contexts, too
Not that I don't agree with you, and agree with you totally, but that ship has sailed.  It's just not ever going to happen, as techs have been complaining about this for decades now, as have end users.  I do not know why that feedback has never been taken on board.  It would be a simple matter for Microsoft to create a lookup table that they use based upon those hex codes to provide an error message that has at least some tenuous connection to the root cause of a given program if this was something they wanted to do.  They don't, and have pretty conclusively demonstrated that they won't, either.

That should have been "given problem," not, "given program."  Though the two may have some connection, too.

enes sarıbaş

This is absolutely true. I have a forth gen i5 4200 M processor, and file explorer is much faster now.