Topics

Copying and Pasting from Google Chrome

Leslie Fairall <fairall@...>

I'm on my school's website and would like to copy and paste instructor notes from Google Chrome. I am also downloading the Powerpoint presentation, but putting them in a Word document would be great as I could take additional notes from my textbook. I have no problem with selecting my text but the only thing that copies are the links from the webpage. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
Leslie Fairall
mailto:fairall@panix.com

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Is the page you're having an issue with one that the public can access?   A CTRL+A to select all when you're in a web page body should do just that, and if it isn't then it's likely something that is designed in, as you can prevent selection, whether that's by intent or accident.

If I can get to it I can give it a try, sans screen reader and with screen reader, to see how it behaves.

By the way, you should be able to add additional notes to PowerPoint presentations that don't display on the slides.  I haven't done that in ages, but I have done it.  It makes it a lot easier to keep your notes and the content they're linked to associated with each other.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore

Well if this is anything like my university days so long ago.

You should be able to open the powerpoint presentations in any office enabled system, it doesn't need to be your's.

You should be able to save those as ritch text rtf format.

Then you should be able to read them.

On the other hand, if that is not possible, then maybe you can ask your school to give you the original documents or rtfs of the presentations.

I have had a university class back when 3.5 inch floppies were the thing.

I was given  6 disks with powerpoint files on and instructed to give them to my support centre for conversion.

I was able to do a file save as on the powerpoint files, then I was able to save them as rtfs.

I have read handouts and slides in rtf format and while its an old format and I hardly use it as such, it can be read as such.

You can either use libre or open office on the files.

You can as I said, load your nvda portable or whatever onto any office enabled system, well I guess it needs office 2007 or up depending if its a .psx extention or anything if its just a .ps extention, point is you don't need to own office.

Now, I have no idea if you can open them in office online, save em to onedrive and get them that way.

On 26/05/2020 7:43 am, Leslie Fairall wrote:
I'm on my school's website and would like to copy and paste instructor notes from Google Chrome. I am also downloading the Powerpoint presentation, but putting them in a Word document would be great as I could take additional notes from my textbook. I have no problem with selecting my text but the only thing that copies are the links from the webpage. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hmmm its mostly private and as I said before I have converted powerpoint presentations to other formats.

If all you are needing is the files, as I said you can convert your files on a trusted office system yourself or ask someone or your school to export them as rtfs.

The rtfs can be read they may not look that nice but they are straight up accessible, I have done them and thats worked for me, I can read the content, they probably are totally crap but who cares, after all all you want is a text dump.

On 26/05/2020 7:50 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
Is the page you're having an issue with one that the public can access?   A CTRL+A to select all when you're in a web page body should do just that, and if it isn't then it's likely something that is designed in, as you can prevent selection, whether that's by intent or accident.

If I can get to it I can give it a try, sans screen reader and with screen reader, to see how it behaves.

By the way, you should be able to add additional notes to PowerPoint presentations that don't display on the slides.  I haven't done that in ages, but I have done it.  It makes it a lot easier to keep your notes and the content they're linked to associated with each other.

--

Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

Hi Brian:

control-a does not work in this case. It just copies the links and tabs on the webpage, including a picture! It is a private webpage since it comes from a university site.

I could use instructions on how to make notes in Powerpoint.

--
Leslie Fairall

Hi Shaun:

When I tried the "save as" feature within my Powerpoint presentation, there were no options to save the file to text or rtf. I also used the open with option in the context menu to convert the file to a Word document. It came out as garbage characters. I have the full suite of Microsoft Office applications. Is there an easy way to convert the file to either text or rich text format? Thanks.

--
Leslie Fairall

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 04:47 PM, Leslie Fairall wrote:
It is a private webpage since it comes from a university site.
Then I would advise you to take this up with your professor, first, and then the disability services at your university, even if the problem is resolved, because you can be almost certain that this is the result of a template having been used that is preventing select all from actually doing so for copy and paste.  A work around is printing the page out using a virtual printer like PDFCreator or Microsoft Print to PDF.  You can then open the PDF created in MS-Word, and save it as a MS-Word document or even plain text if images or click-through hyperlinks are not important.

As far as adding notes, I was thinking of speaker notes, which allow you to create notes only you see (or can see, depending on whether presenter mode is on or off when the presentation is running).  See this MS page, Add speaker notes to your slides, and some of the associated pages accessible via the navigation control for the articles that go with this page. 

--

Hi Brian:

It is strange because the page is in regular text. However, you can download the same notes in a Powerpoint file, which I've done. I definitely have to download the file since I can't copy the content of the webpage into a Word or other type of text file. I've seen this behavior on occasion, but never really understood why this happens.

--
Leslie Fairall

Hmmm when you click save as, there should be a list of formats.

If there isn't then something has changed since office xp/2003 whhen I last did this.

On 26/05/2020 8:56 am, Leslie Fairall wrote:
Hi Shaun:

When I tried the "save as" feature within my Powerpoint presentation, there were no options to save the file to text or rtf. I also used the open with option in the context menu to convert the file to a Word document. It came out as garbage characters. I have the full suite of Microsoft Office applications. Is there an easy way to convert the file to either text or rich text format? Thanks.

Mike B

Hi Leslie,

I don't have a clue if this will help, but it sure is worth a try:
1. With Chrome open and on your webpage of choice press, Insert + V, to open Jaws quick settings.
2. Down arrow to find, Virtual cursor options, if closed right arrow to open.
3. Down arrow to, Select and copy...., and ifJaws reports Select and copy full content using on screen highlight, press the space bar so Jaws reports, select and copy from virtual cursor.
4. Tab to, Okay, and press enter to save / close quick settings.
Note, just to clarify:  If you choose the, From Virtual Cursor option, this will copy the text without formatting.
If the , Full Content Using Onscreen Highlight  option, is chosen this copies the text with formatting. 

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
 *My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2020 1:56 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] Copying and Pasting from Google Chrome

Hi Shaun:

When I tried the "save as" feature within my Powerpoint presentation,
there were no options to save the file to text or rtf. I also used the
open with option in the context menu to convert the file to a Word
document. It came out as garbage characters. I have the full suite of
Microsoft Office applications. Is there an easy way to convert the file to
either text or rich text format? Thanks.

--
Leslie Fairall
mailto:fairall@...

Hi Shaun:

there are a list of formats, but none of them will allow you to save the Powerpoint presentation to a text file.

--
Leslie Fairall

Ann Byrne

Enter on the choice that says 'other apps'; there is at least .rtf.

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Leslie
Fairall
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2020 8:28 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io

Hi Shaun:

there are a list of formats, but none of them will allow you to save the
Powerpoint presentation to a text file.

--
Leslie Fairall

Adrian Spratt

Leslie,

You've received several constructive suggestions from other listers. The one I'd add depends on which screenreader you're using and which version. I find that in Chrome, I'm unable to select and copy text from certain websites with JAWS 2020. However, in those cases, I can do so with JAWS 2018.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Leslie Fairall
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2020 3:44 PM
Subject: [win10] Copying and Pasting from Google Chrome

--
Leslie Fairall

Do you have "Select and Copy" set as "From Virtual Cursor" or "Using on-screen highlight"?
If you are having problems copying from some websites I assume it is set to "using on-screen highlight", if you change it to "from virtual cursor" it will most likely work.
To change this open Chrome, bring up the quick settings and search for "copy"

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2020 9:55 PM

Leslie,

You've received several constructive suggestions from other listers. The one I'd add depends on which screenreader you're using and which version. I find that in Chrome, I'm unable to select and copy text from certain websites with JAWS 2020. However, in those cases, I can do so with JAWS 2018.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Leslie Fairall
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2020 3:44 PM
Subject: [win10] Copying and Pasting from Google Chrome

--
Leslie Fairall

chris judge

You can also try this.

Move to the beginning of the text you want to select. Press control windows K to set a temporary place marker. Next, move to the end of the text you want to select and press insert spacebar, followed by the letter M. You can then copy all text between the place marker and the end marker.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: May 25, 2020 4:50 PM

--

Wordpad converts to rich text format, right?

--
Leslie Fairall

Hi Adrian:

I have Jaws 2020. I wonder why the version would make a difference in this case.

--
Leslie Fairall

Hi Chris:

I was able to select the text between placemarkers. However, control-c still does not copy the text. I'm going to try all of the suggestions that have been given to me by list members until one of them works.

Thanks for all of your help.

--
Leslie Fairall

Hi Seighard and all:

What is the difference between select and copy from on-screen highlight and virtual cursor? Where do I find those settings? Nothing is pulling up in the setting center search box.

--
Leslie Fairall

Mike B

Hi Leslie,

I guess you missed my 1st post, so let's give this another try.
1. While in your browser / webpage press, Insert + V, for Jaws quick settings.

2. Navigate to, Virtual cursor options, and if it's closed press right arrow to open.

3. Down arrow to, Select and copy ...., and if Jaws reports, Select and copy Full content using onscreen highlight, press the spacebar to toggle the setting so Jaws reports,
Select and Copy From Virtual Cursor.

4. Tab to, Okay, and press enter to save / close.
Note, just to clarify:  If you choose the, From Virtual Cursor option, this will copy the text without formatting.
If you choose the, Full Content Using Onscreen Highlight  option, this copies the text with formatting. 

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
 *My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 6:29 PM

Hi Seighard and all:

What is the difference between select and copy from on-screen highlight
and virtual cursor? Where do I find those settings? Nothing is pulling up
in the setting center search box.

--
Leslie Fairall
mailto:fairall@...