Topics

ZDNet: new PC's will be strictly 64-bit, starting with May 2020 Update #WinTen2004

Hi all,

The following ZDNet article, which was also covered by other outlets, may interest some:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-takes-a-step-toward-phasing-out-32-bit-pc-support-for-windows-10/

To summarize, when you buy a new computer with May 2020 Update installed, you will get a 64-bit system. This does not mean tools such as Upgrade Assistant and Media Creation Tool will stop supporting 32-bit processors – that won’t happen until Microsoft says so (and the first group of people to hear about it will be Windows Insiders). For many of you, this news won’t surprise you.

enes sarıbaş

Hi Joseph,

Is there an estimated timeline on when Microsoft will drop 32 bit for all pcs? I would assume NVDA developers would need to know of this beforehand, as it could have implications.

On 5/13/2020 7:56 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

The following ZDNet article, which was also covered by other outlets, may interest some:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-takes-a-step-toward-phasing-out-32-bit-pc-support-for-windows-10/

To summarize, when you buy a new computer with May 2020 Update installed, you will get a 64-bit system. This does not mean tools such as Upgrade Assistant and Media Creation Tool will stop supporting 32-bit processors – that won’t happen until Microsoft says so (and the first group of people to hear about it will be Windows Insiders). For many of you, this news won’t surprise you.

Not for a while, as 32-bit systems are widely used. NVDA cannot go to strictly 64-bit mode due to issues which are way off-topic for this forum.

[...]

Hello Joseph,

Is there a github issue on NVDA where the problems and current status for 64 bit are discussed? I could not locate one with relevant keyword searches.

On 5/13/2020 8:53 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

[...]

It’s scattered all over GitHub, but NVDA wiki should have some info on that. As for issues that prevents NVDA from going full 64-bit, one thing I can tell you is that a crucial technology does not exist on Windows 10 yet, namely inability to run x64 executables on ARM64.

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 08:56 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
when you buy a new computer with May 2020 Update installed, you will get a 64-bit system.
It is important to note, though, that 64-bit hardware for PCs has been the de facto standard for a very long time now.  I cannot recall, again for PC hardware, the last time I saw 32-bit being sold.

But since 32-bit software will run perfectly well on 64-bit hardware, there's still scads of it about.

It's no surprise, though, that 32-bit support is ultimately being abandoned going forward.  And it's been a lot slower to start happening and its pace than I would ever have expected.

I have an ancient Gateway desktop that was (and remains) 64-bit hardware on which 32-bit Windows 7 Home was its "out of the box" operating system.  Ultimately, at its last and so far final Windows, I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.  Given that the processor is from the Pentium era it can't go on much longer.

enes sarıbaş

Hello Joseph,

You mean the win10 NVDA wiki? And isn't ARM a completely different processor architecture than the  x64 architecture on most pcs?

On 5/13/2020 9:30 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Yes and yes, although NVDA (a 32-bit x86 app) will run on ARM64 via emulation (at this time).

Is there an estimated timeline on when Microsoft will drop 32 bit for all pcs? I would assume NVDA developers would need to know of this beforehand, as it could have implications.

On 5/13/2020 7:56 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

The following ZDNet article, which was also covered by other outlets, may interest some:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-takes-a-step-toward-phasing-out-32-bit-pc-support-for-windows-10/

To summarize, when you buy a new computer with May 2020 Update installed, you will get a 64-bit system. This does not mean tools such as Upgrade Assistant and Media Creation Tool will stop supporting 32-bit processors – that won’t happen until Microsoft says so (and the first group of people to hear about it will be Windows Insiders). For many of you, this news won’t surprise you.

Yes. I expect the big transition (besides moving from x64 to ARM64) will be Windows requiring certain processor hardware features to function. This is more so now for increasing number of features – Windows Subsystem for Linux generation 2 (Version 2004) requires virtualization feature in hardware to be turned on, which isn’t the case for all 64-bit systems.

[...]

Who knows, you can still get 32 bit and to be honest I doubt microsoft would drop 32 bit compatability.

There are a lot of 32 bit and 64 bit programs out there.

But old vb projects like games come to mind, some codecs, a lot of other software packages.

Now granted where possible a lot of stuff support the x86 x64 standard so can run on either and most newer things are by default in 64 bit mode.

On 14/05/2020 1:43 pm, enes sarıbaş wrote:

[...]

I don't know why microsoft hasn't done it before now.

Every pc I have seen out of late has been 64 bit only.

I guess they were waiting for everyone that made pcs  ever to stop making 32 bit chips.