Topics

Notice from the head list representative: do NOT respond to supposed "mask salesperson" - it's a spam #AdminNotice #groupsio

Hello Win10 forum family,

The following notice follows incidents on several lists (including a screen reader users mailing list) which was publicized on Groups.IOI Beta group:

A few days ago someone joined a number of lists and introduced themselves with a supposed friendly greeting. This morning, this person sent a message on countless groups, alleging that a “mask sale” is taking place. Turns out this is a spam account, with members of some groups reporting posts from this spammer to group owners and moderators, even some reporting to Mark Fletcher from Groups.IO. At this time, the spammer was banned from Groups.IO, with owners of affected lists taking action.

Although Win10 forum wasn’t affected, it might be possible that spammers would target groups hosted on Groups.IO supposedly selling products related to COVID-19 such as masks, personal protective equipment, hand sanitizers, vaccine trials and so on. Please report those messages to forum leadership team, and if possible, also to Groups.IO for further analysis.

Ricky Lomey

Ipve been getting emails fron antivirus masks and some others and just
ignoring and deleting them, the only legit one was in a ligit digest I
receive, thanks for the warning and also of course be careful of other such
scams.

respond to supposed "mask salesperson" - it's a spam #GroupsIO #AdminNotice

[...]

Robert Kingett <kingettr@...>

I'd start checking sub-groups too, and locking down the list for a while, but I'm sure loads are well ahead of me. My group wasn't targeted, but I blocked that email address as well.