Topics

Mysterious "blocked shutdowns "

JM Casey

Hey folks.

I’m running Windows 10, 1809 18363.720. The other night I was experiencing problems connecting my old samsung phone to the desktop, which has been happening on and off lately – it seems to keep updating the drivers and then working again for a while, but screwing up again at a later time. Anyway, I ended up doing a windows update that night, and the phone thing now works. I don’t actually know if it’s related, though, but ever since then, when I go to shut down the system, I get the “blocked shutdown message”, even when no windows are open. It does not actaully say which programme is blocking the shutdown, though it seems like a name should be there – when there are no windows open it just looks like a blank list view to me. So, I’m guessing it is a background process somewhere. Anyone have any tips on how I can figure out what it is? I also installed dropbox software that night, but I disabled it from running in background and it’s now not in system tray, so I don’t think it’s that. I have macrium reflect cloning software running in background and it keeps popping up a dialogue every so often with a ‘close” button … but I can’t actually read the dialogue using JAWS 2018, so I don’t know what it says. This software was installed by the person who built my machine and last summer installed an SSD and put everything in a nice new roomy case, but as it’s pretty inaccessible I’m thinking of  just uninstalling it. It’s never caused any problems before though.

Any ideas?

tim

Try insert+ f10 hit tab and then space for background windows. Then shift+tab and see if anything new.
Now your new window coming up might be wanting a update or renewed..
Try using narrator and see if it sees more of that window. If not then you may have to remove it to stop it from being a bug.

On Mar 27, 2020, at 12:21 PM, JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:

[...]

Hey Tim.

I normally use task manager, which of course shows a tonne of background processes all the time; I am trying to narrow it down to what it might be. It’s been a while since I used the insert-f10 window list though and I noticed that samsung magician has something at the bottom fo the list that doesn’t seem accessible in the normal way. That could be something. I’m sure it wasn’t there before and it is indeed stating there’s an update. I’ll see what I can make of this. Cheers.