Topics

How to Eliminate unused entries when adjusting for volume in Windows 10?

Larry Higgins

Oh knowledgeable listers,

I have been pulling my hair out for a very long time trying to come up with a solution to this issue and hoping that someone can finally enlighten  me on how to do the following, or if it is even at all possible.

I am trying to find a way to eliminate all dead entries from the volume adjustment settings window when listening to various audio streams simultaneously while using IE11.

At present, I am listening to a number of radio station streams (mainly iHeart)

 from Florida, listening for information relating to  Hurricane Irma, and when bringing up these respective streams, there are the 15 to 30 second commercials that come up before the stream actually begins running. Unfortunately, these related entries get left behind in the volume adjustment window, along with everything else, making it much harder than it needs to be to tab from one stream entry to another in order to mute or unmute them in preference to another at any given time. Not to mention having to tab over the ones that are obviously there by necessity or default. It would be great if I could find a way to organize these entries for greater convenient access as well.

Is there a way to do this? And if not via the Windows method, is there a utility that might help me with this issue?

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated,

Larry

Roger Stewart

I have no idea of what player you are using, but I'd strongly recommend the free Winamp. You just add bookmarks to the stations you want to listen to and then just open the bookmarks menu and arrow up or down to the station you want to play and hit enter and will start right away. When you're finished listening to the current station, just repeat the steps above and choose the next stream you want to hear! There's now only one entry in volume control for Winamp so you don't need to fuss with anything else.

Hope this helps.

Roger

On 9/10/2017 5:03 PM, Larry Higgins wrote:
[...]

Roger,

Oh Man!, how I wish that there was a way to make Winamp work with all of these streams. Winamp has been my program of choice for around 17 years, but unfortunately, at least in this case, or at least not to my knowledge, iHeart streams do not work at all with Winamp, nor have I had any luck finding any stream format that will work with it.

 If you can give me some tips as to where I can go to find workable stream addresses that will work with Winamp, I will forever be indebted. Right now, all I am using are the Web embedded players.

I have looked on Bill Sparks site for such entries, but none of them that I have tried lately connect with most stations. I have had some measured luck though. For example, some of the CBS stations do work,  such as KNX, WCBS, KCBS, and WBZ, and even a number of my favorite classical stations, but not all by any means. As I say, if you know of a way to make these streams work with Winamp, please let me know.

BTW, is it possible that the URLs that are used by phone apps might be accessible through Winamp? To be clear, I'm not talking about using the phone apps on a pc, only the streams. I'll stop now lest I stop making sense <smile>.

Thanks very much for your suggestion though, would sure like to be able to make the best of it.

Larry

On 9/10/2017 6:01 PM, Roger Stewart wrote:
[...]

I took a look at my previous post, and realized that it might be a bit confusing.

When I refer to the CBS related streams, I  am saying that they do work with Winamp, also the classical stations, as well as other noncommercial streams. Only in the case  of  streams such as the iHeart ones that use embedded players either cannot be played in Winamp, or there may be ways to connect with these stations via Winamp that I am not aware of. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

Larry

On 9/10/2017 6:22 PM, Larry Higgins wrote:
[...]

I've found most of those embedded players to be not accessible at all. The Victor Stream will play iHeart stations though but then you would need to buy a Stream to do that as I know of no way to play those on a desktop but there may be a way I'm not aware of.

Roger