Topics

FSCast: updates to JAWS and Edge support #jaws

Hi JAWS users,

A new episode of FSCast outlines updates to JAWS support for Edge:

http://podcast.freedomscientific.com/FSCast/episodes/FSCast142-New_Focus_Displays,_Edge,_Key_Labels.mp3

As of now, some navigation quick keys will work, live regions isn’t working, Flexible Web isn’t available and so on. According to the podcast, JAWS 2018 (hereby referred to as JAWS 18B) will support Edge, and once it proves its worth via the upcoming beta cycle, it’ll be made available to JAWS 18 users (hereby referred to as 18A).

Enjoy.

Audiobookfan

Um, Joseph, why not refer to JAWS 2018 as JAWS 2018? What's the point of referring to it as JAWS 18b? That implies (at least to me) that it's just an update to JAWS 18 rather than being a full SMA update.

I guess you can call it what you want, but it's certainly confusing to me.

Jeff

On 8/18/2017 2:02 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi JAWS users,
A new episode of FSCast outlines updates to JAWS support for Edge:
http://podcast.freedomscientific.com/FSCast/episodes/FSCast142-New_Focus_Displays,_Edge,_Key_Labels.mp3
As of now, some navigation quick keys will work, live regions isn’t working, Flexible Web isn’t available and so on. According to the podcast, JAWS 2018 (hereby referred to as JAWS 18B) will support Edge, and once it proves its worth via the upcoming beta cycle, it’ll be made available to JAWS 18 users (hereby referred to as 18A).
Enjoy.

Imagine if someone asks about differences between JAWS 18 and JAWS 18,
provided that this person is tempted to use only two digits for a year.

[...]

adam morris

I think that Jaws 2018 should be addressed by its proper title as should the current jaws18.

On 19-Aug-17 12:25, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
[...]

Jaws certified 2016
Phone:
+61 2 6654 7777
Email, iMessage & FaceTime
adam@...

Michael Chopra

That makes sence.

Thanks.

From Michael.

[...]

matthew dyer

Ust listened to it last night asnd it’s a good start.  Perhaps by the time the beta is out or perhaps  farther along in the beta cycle there were will even be better support.

Atthew

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

A new episode of FSCast outlines updates to JAWS support for Edge:

http://podcast.freedomscientific.com/FSCast/episodes/FSCast142-New_Focus_Displays,_Edge,_Key_Labels.mp3

As of now, some navigation quick keys will work, live regions isn’t working, Flexible Web isn’t available and so on. According to the podcast, JAWS 2018 (hereby referred to as JAWS 18B) will support Edge, and once it proves its worth via the upcoming beta cycle, it’ll be made available to JAWS 18 users (hereby referred to as 18A).

Enjoy.

Lino Morales

I agree with Jeff here. We don't want to confuse the good citizens of NVDA land ae?

On 8/18/2017 8:45 PM, Audiobookfan wrote:
[...]

Danny Park

From what I got out podcast was that there 2 things coming an update to the current Jaws 18 which includes Edge support and the new 2018 release to come out later.

Danny

A new episode of FSCast outlines updates to JAWS support for Edge:

http://podcast.freedomscientific.com/FSCast/episodes/FSCast142-New_Focus_Displays,_Edge,_Key_Labels.mp3

As of now, some navigation quick keys will work, live regions isn’t working, Flexible Web isn’t available and so on. According to the podcast, JAWS 2018 (hereby referred to as JAWS 18B) will support Edge, and once it proves its worth via the upcoming beta cycle, it’ll be made available to JAWS 18 users (hereby referred to as 18A).

Enjoy.

so at this point even though jaws is supporting edge should we still use nvda or narator fore edge?

from what it sounds like to me is that at this time that narator or nvda has the best suppport fore edge?
thanks
Hank

On 8/19/2017 6:40 AM, matthew dyer wrote:

Ust listened to it last night asnd it’s a good start.  Perhaps by the time the beta is out or perhaps  farther along in the beta cycle there were will even be better support.

Atthew

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

A new episode of FSCast outlines updates to JAWS support for Edge:

http://podcast.freedomscientific.com/FSCast/episodes/FSCast142-New_Focus_Displays,_Edge,_Key_Labels.mp3

As of now, some navigation quick keys will work, live regions isn’t working, Flexible Web isn’t available and so on. According to the podcast, JAWS 2018 (hereby referred to as JAWS 18B) will support Edge, and once it proves its worth via the upcoming beta cycle, it’ll be made available to JAWS 18 users (hereby referred to as 18A).

Enjoy.

David Moore

Hi Hank!

Yes, Narrator and NVDA still work better with Edge than JAWS will.

Some of the navigation commands will not work with JAWS, like going to next non link text.

NVDA works the best with Edge, with Narrator right behind. Everything that jonathan Mosen talked about, in his FS cast, is in my tutorial that I did on Edge, but NVDA is much better with snappiness and navigation of many different web pages.

Have a great one, guys!

David Moore

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

I also beleave the naming convention you proposed doesnt make sense. They are two different versions and calling them a and b is just strange. The idea that there will be confusion between 18 and 2018 because someone drops the 20 from 2018 is unreasonable. So what is the real reason? Something to do with NVDA?On 8/19/2017 4:15 PM, David Moore wrote:

[...]

It is the most basic level of support possible... Meant to get you through situations when MS forces you to use edge. They say as much in the FS cast.

[...]

If someone asks about the difference between JAWS 18 and JAWS 18, I'd assume they were either being silly or obnoxious. Either way, I'd likely just ignore them.

JAWS 18 is the name of the current version and JAWS 2018 is the name of the upcoming fall release of JAWS. You can call them by other names if you want, I'm going to continue to call them by the names given to them by VFO.

Jeff

On 8/18/2017 7:25 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
[...]

Alan Robbins

Agreed, I believe if we all begin to adopt different names rather than the official title, it will only cause confusion to the list.

On Aug 20, 2017, at 12:32 AM, Audiobookfan <listening4it@...> wrote:

[...]

Maybe I missed something here, but, didn't Joseph state that JAWS 2018 was also being called JAWS 18B, or whatever it was? Sorry, I'm a bit foggy on this thread, although, that much of it, I do! remember.

JAWS 18, as in, the current officially released build says nothing about the letter B in it.

So, at the end of the day, what is you all's beaf? OK, maybe JAWS 18B, or whatever it was wasn't the official name, but it does specify.

If you all are so concerned about JAWS, then why not be just as concerned about Windows 10?

Oh, you have Windows 10 on your system? Good, but is it Pro, Home, Pro Workstation? Entreprise? Education? Server? What exactly?

Oh, it's just Windows 10, that's the official build, so I insist I'll just calling it Windows 10, as that's what it is.

Same thing here with JAWS, as far as I see it. JAWS 18 is not 2018, nor 18B, or whatever. It's just about learning the new version scheme. If a vet asked you to tell them what breed your guide dog was, would you simply say, well, he's a black lab, but, that's confusing? Officially, he's just black.

OK, that tells the vet nothing. Is it a black lab, a black doxon, a black retriever, a black terrior... well, he's black, so I'll just call 'em that, ain't that right good old Fido. Point made, I'd hope.

Frankly, I don't see why you guys are jumping so much down Joseph's throat. So he called JAWS by it's alternative name, Should we call it Job Access with Speech, as that's the official name, JAWS, and JFW, both are confusing. See what I mean?

Chris.

I have only heard Jaws 18A and Jaws 18B being suggested by Joseph, but as anybody else I don’t think going forward this will be an issue and I certainly will refer to Jaws 18 when I mean Jaws 18 (the current version) and I will use Jaws 2018 once I talk about the upcoming Beta and later in October or November the public release.

As for Edge support, yes, NVDA may have better Edge support at this point, but as Jonathan pointed out, those who want to know why this has taken so long in Jaws should listen to FS Case 137. Let’s not forget that NVDA as far as I know has been around since 2006 and Jaws for Windows has been around 10 years prior to this, I am sure there is a lot more legecy code and stuff like that which Freedom Scientific has to deal with and a lot more major rewriting of the code is involved to accommodate how Microsoft’s now does things.

I for one just don’t worry about this because I know that most likely over the next year or so Edge support in Jaws will probably be much more equal to Edge support in NVDA and maybe it’s going to be better.

Best regards,

Sieghard

[...]

Yeah, not sure.

If that's the case, then my apology, but if that is actually a secondary name for 2018, then... yeah... N Nothing personal, but just was sain'.
---
Christopher Gilland

[...]

Jaws 18 and Jaws 2018 are two completly different versions Just as jaws 17 is different from jaws 18. Joseph is the only one trying to use this confusing naming of 18a and 18b. Not sure why.

On 8/20/2017 9:36 AM, Christopher-Mark Gilland wrote:
[...]

Fair enough then. Enough said. My apology. I was under the initial impression that Joseph was calling it such, as V F O had first called it either 2018, or 18B. with 18 being seperet from 18B or 2018. Now, I'm better understanding. So, this was only a Josephism. LOL! Like I said, in that case, I'll shut up now. LOL!
---
Christopher Gilland

[...]

Edited

Hi,

Perhaps due to versioning identifier that I or we were accustomed to. But I’m sure there will be people who may get confused. At this point, I’ll take it back and use proper version numbers in order to minimize confusion.

As for Edge support in JAWS: as pointed out numerous times, a code rewrite was necessary, hence the delay. To make matters a bit fairer, those using NVDA or Narrator can think back to 2015 when Edge support was in infancy. As I stated many times, the true power of Edge support in JAWS will show up once it becomes possible for people to use virtual PC cursor to navigate some universal apps.