Topics

to users of VB and other virtualisation software: installation of w10 into virtual machine without sighted assistance seems to be impossible #a11y #narrator

J.G

Hi,

This weekend I played whith virtualisation programs and tested all 3 major players (VB, VM ware and Hyper-v from Microsoft). My results are interesting but also I have expected some of them. As I saw some months ago, VB semms to be the least accessible program due to Qt GUI which it has and completely inaccessible window where you can manage your VMs.
Hyper-V and VM ware are accessible, so it means, you can manage VM (start/stop it, add/remove removable devices etc)

But the most important result is that: I found, that until W10 is not fully installed into VM, you cannot use Narrator or any other screen reader due to audio issues. it means that you can start setup, but when you are going to press ctrl + windows + enter, Narrator will probably be started but you would not hear anything. Does anybody know, why does this happen? I have one explanation but do not know if it was correct. It seems, that "slim Windows" - a package which is running during installation, does not have or does not recognise audio drivers of virtual software. Am I correct?
Second question is for MS staff if they track this list. is it possible to include this feature into next update of a system? probably it will be rs4.

Thanks.

Best regards, Jožef

please let me know what you find out

On 8/8/2017 3:16 AM, J.G wrote:
[...]

as I said, VB is still the least accessible program although they have fixed some problems as it is written in change log of VB 5.2.0 beta1. But I think VB will be problematic for screen reader users until Qt staff does not make this gui more accessible or VB would switch to other GUI platforme.

When I tried to use VM ware and Hyper-V, screen readers (spacifically NVDA) could read dialogs and other elements, so I have created and set upmy VMs.

This is about GUI (graphical user interface)

Ok, when VM starts and you want to install a Windows 10 without sighted assistance, it is not possible. It seems, that "slim" installer does not know audio drivers for audio devices, which were virtualised by virtual programs. I've tested it with all of them.

So any idea, how to fix this?

test platforme
- host os - win10 (15063)
- VPs: VB, VM ware and Hyper-V
- guest os - win10 (16232) - downloaded iso

Thanks.

best regards, Jožef

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi,
While this topic is a bit old, I must respectfully disagree. I was able to get an ISO image of 1703, boot it up, enable narrator, choose the type of windows installation I wanted, and have windows fully booted. I carried this out on a windows 8.1 samsung, with intel audio drivers, using the latest, at the time, VMWARE player.